Author Topic: Future of big name Nats (2012)  (Read 15503 times)

Offline BH34Natural

Re: Future of big name Nats
« Reply #25: May 25, 2012, 09:08:10 AM »
the Nats have MASN as the source of their TV revenue, other teams either own networks or have deals negotiated in a competitive environment in larger markets than DC- somehow I don't see us being able to outbid teams in the first category (Yankees, Red Sox) or the second (Dodgers Angles Rangers)

I don't know Bryce at all, is it already set that he will seek the most money? What if we can give him a $300 million dollar deal over 12 years here in a few years before he hits free agency?

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #26: May 25, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
Wow. I guess I didn't realize that people already consider him gone. What if the Nats offer him the largest deal?

He's a Boras client who has publicly stated he grew up a Yankees fan. That's a bad combo.

We all want him here long-term and some of us are holding out hope he'll re-sign with us but not many believe he'll do so before he becomes a FA. That's all we're saying.

Offline mach1ne

« Reply #27: May 25, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »
We have 6.75 years of him.  Let's at least see one or two all-star years out of him first.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #28: May 25, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »
He's a Boras client who has publicly stated he grew up a Yankees fan. That's a bad combo.

I'm so tired of people quoting something he said when he was 16 or 17.  Who cares what team he grew up liking?  Did Zimm grow up a Nats fan?  How about Pujols...did he grow up an Angels fan?

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #29: May 25, 2012, 09:29:24 AM »
I think the perception in talking to a few of my friends who are non nationals fans is this: Washington is a big market. If the Nats are good, and bryce is bringing numbers through the gate they'll make a lot of money and be in position to be able to pay whoever they want.

Hell, even when we were bad we were still able to give Jayson Werth $120 mil

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: May 25, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »
Bryce does not strike me as risk averse, and he has plenty guaranteed already to mitigate the risk even more.  If he's not in the 1% for life with his first contract, he's darn close to it.   I don't think he'd see an early signing at some sort of discount as a good tradeoff because he believes he will stay healthy and will be able to make more money later.

The best case for the Nats would be if he likes it here. There is something to comfort.  If Zimmerman and Strasburg, Gonzalez and Zimmermann are still here for a few year after he hits free agency, the Nats are winning, it is fun, then maybe he'll not want to break up a good thing and give us a few extra years before he hits 29 or 30.   The fact that he used to fitting in and playing with different players since his travel days probably works against this.  He'll have buddies whereever he goes. 

Watch out for the Dodgers if he hits free agency. lots of money, prime market, historic franchise, and close enough to Las Vegas and family to day trip on an off day.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #31: May 25, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »
Bryce does not strike me as risk averse, and he has plenty guaranteed already to mitigate the risk even more.  If he's not in the 1% for life with his first contract, he's darn close to it.   I don't think he'd see an early signing at some sort of discount as a good tradeoff because he believes he will stay healthy and will be able to make more money later.

The best case for the Nats would be if he likes it here. There is something to comfort.  If Zimmerman and Strasburg, Gonzalez and Zimmermann are still here for a few year after he hits free agency, the Nats are winning, it is fun, then maybe he'll not want to break up a good thing and give us a few extra years before he hits 29 or 30.   The fact that he used to fitting in and playing with different players since his travel days probably works against this.  He'll have buddies whereever he goes. 

Watch out for the Dodgers if he hits free agency. lots of money, prime market, historic franchise, and close enough to Las Vegas and family to day trip on an off day.

Yep. There are just so many ifs at this point. It's fun to talk about (for others, not me). Hypothetical discussions like this for something way down the line drive me nuts.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #32: May 25, 2012, 09:37:01 AM »
Harper strikes me as the type that wants to break the record for biggest FA contract in history.

I don't think the money is the issue, it's the statement "I scored the biggest FA contract in history" that appeals to him.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #33: May 25, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »
It's a fun discussion, just don't think it's fair that we can't keep him past 26 no matter what we do. I think baseball should do something to skunk Scott Boras and make it possible to keep players like Harper through their first big contract

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #34: May 25, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »
It's a fun discussion, just don't think it's fair that we can't keep him past 26 no matter what we do. I think baseball should do something to skunk Scott Boras and make it possible to keep players like Harper through their first big contract

So... you want baseball to collude against Boras?

As a fan of two teams that don't spend money... I certainly know how tough it can be to deal with Boras... but you just have to hope for the best.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: May 25, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »

they tried for a century- the players didn't like it and have a strong enough union that they got free agency.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #36: May 25, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
Harper strikes me as the type that wants to break the record for biggest FA contract in history.

I don't think the money is the issue, it's the statement "I scored the biggest FA contract in history" that appeals to him.

I hope Nats fans remember that the same attitude that could lead him to do this is the same attitude that gives him his edge.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #37: May 25, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »
I hope Nats fans remember that the same attitude that could lead him to do this is the same attitude that gives him his edge.

The gift and the curse, right?  I say the same thing about my ADD.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #38: May 25, 2012, 09:48:53 AM »
I don't hear anyone blaming him or down on him, it's his right- we get to root for him for 7 years as a pro then he may move on

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #39: May 25, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »
I'm so tired of people quoting something he said when he was 16 or 17.  Who cares what team he grew up liking?  Did Zimm grow up a Nats fan?  How about Pujols...did he grow up an Angels fan?

Dear God!! How dare people talk about something a teenager said while he was a teenager!!

Oh the humanity of it!!!

For the record, he talked about rooting for the Yankees late last Fall.

But in all seriousness, you're correct about the favorite childhood team thing being overblown in a lot of cases. Doesn't mean it won't come into play with Bryce, though.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #40: May 25, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »
Wow. I guess I didn't realize that people already consider him gone. What if the Nats offer him the largest deal?

He's here for 6 years. That's hardly "gone".

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #41: May 25, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »
the Nats have MASN as the source of their TV revenue, other teams either own networks or have deals negotiated in a competitive environment in larger markets than DC- somehow I don't see us being able to outbid teams in the first category (Yankees, Red Sox) or the second (Dodgers Angles Rangers)

the lerners are worth more than anyone out there

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #42: May 25, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »

I think most people... if they really sat down and analyzed the situation would understand that... but a lot of us are FANS first, so we don't want the player to do the rational thing, we want him to do the thing that benefits US the most.

I'll root for Harper hard for every game he plays here... if he leaves, so be it... there's always the next guy up.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #43: May 25, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »
Linty, exactly.

I don't hear anyone blaming him or down on him, it's his right- we get to root for him for 7 years as a pro then he may move on

Sure, not yet. In 7 years after we're attached to him and there's an 8,000 page thread on his extension it might be another story.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #44: May 25, 2012, 10:01:49 AM »
I consider him as a good as gone when the time comes. Thats what makes waiting till he got his needed time in the minors so crucial. That last year, he's going to be trade bait.

Exactly. The kid will be a Yankee at some point. Enjoy him while he's here and hope that we get a World Series title before he goes.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: May 25, 2012, 10:03:25 AM »

and less skin in the game

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #46: May 25, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »
I just hope we aren't out-bid for him. The Lerners cannot absolutely go down as the people who let Harper walk for more money. They have the money to match every offer he gets, and if you're not going to use it on a guy like Harper, what the hell are you waiting for?

If he gets the biggest offer from us and still decides to go to New York, well then there's nothing we could have done.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #47: May 25, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
I just hope we aren't out-bid for him. The Lerners cannot absolutely go down as the people who let Harper walk for more money. They have the money to match every offer he gets, and if you're not going to use it on a guy like Harper, what the hell are you waiting for?

If he gets the biggest offer from us and still decides to go to New York, well then there's nothing we could have done.

what if someone offers him an absurd deal? Should the Brewers and Cards have tried to match this year? The odds of some team offering more years an money that common sense dictates are pretty high if you look at some of the recent superstar signings

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #48: May 25, 2012, 10:06:55 AM »

It's that spending thing that is a problem for them.

8)

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #49: May 25, 2012, 10:07:40 AM »
what if someone offers him an absurd deal? Should the Brewers and Cards have tried to match this year? The odds of some team offering more years an money that common sense dictates are pretty high if you look at some of the recent superstar signings

Biggest difference is Pujols is 33, Fielder is 29. Bryce will still be 26....