Author Topic: Linux Thread  (Read 20604 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Linux Thread
« Topic Start: January 18, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »
JMad, here is a link for how to make Google Docs open your stuff:
http://www.googletutor.com/2007/06/18/launching-local-word-and-excel-files-with-google-docs-and-spreadsheets/

I'll quote it here in case you can't get to the site due to bandwidth.

With the release of Google Toolbar 4 for Firefox, Google has added the functionality to make its office apps (Docs and Spreadsheets) the default application to open word documents and spreadsheet files, either for files downloaded from the Internet or local files on your computer, or both.

Take note that you have to use the Firefox version of the Google Toolbar 4 to make this work. So to get things started, if you still don’t have it, install the latest version here.

Download Google Toolbar

Follow the usual steps in installing a Firefox extension then restart the browser when it’s done. After Firefox restarts, you can fill in Toolbar configurations with your preferences, including your desired privacy settings (and your Google account credentials, if you wish). Then go to the options dialog of the Toolbar (Settings–Options) and find then tick the Docs and Spreadsheets checkbox. Clicking on the more… link will give you more information about the feature.

Google Toolbar OptionsDocs and Spreadsheets Feature

If you click on the File Settings button, you can further customize the behavior of this feature including the file types that will be opened by Google Docs and Spreadsheets, as well as the method of opening those files.

File Types

In the default setting, you have to drag a file to the firefox browser or click on a link to a supported file to open it with Google Docs and Spreadsheets.

Opening Method

But there’s one check box under File Settings of Google Toolbar that will also use Docs and Spreadsheets if you double click on any supported file type in your desktop. You will notice that Excel and Word files will change icons once you have checked this last check box. Checking all the checkboxes for the methods of opening a file will replace Word and Excel as the default Programs for .doc and .xls files

There are three methods of opening a file with Google Docs and Spreadsheets:

Link to a doc file
clicking on a link to a supported file type
Dragging a doc file to the browser
dragging a file to your browser
Doc file on the desktop
double clicking a file in your desktop

You’re all set for a Google Docs and Spreadsheets powered desktop. Take note though that since Docs and Spreadsheets doesn’t support the offline mode yet, hence this setup will work only if you have a running Internet connection. Also, Docs and Spreadsheet will make a copy of your desktop file online and save changes there, so changes will not be reflected in your local file unless you download the file locally. While it may still take a while for this setup to be perfect, it’s amazing how Google is slowly delivering the concept of a Web OS.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Linux Thread
« Reply #1: January 18, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »
thanks Nathan, but since I use Chrome, this doesn't help me. :(

plus, it's a tad outdated in at least one place. Docs does have an Offline mode now.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2: January 18, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »
thanks Nathan, but since I use Chrome, this doesn't help me. :(

plus, it's a tad outdated in at least one place. Docs does have an Offline mode now.
Can you download Firefox and the toolbar to make the change, but keep Chrome as your default browser?  Kind of a round about way to get Chrome to launch into Docs when you try to open documents?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #3: January 18, 2010, 06:11:09 PM »
Can you download Firefox and the toolbar to make the change, but keep Chrome as your default browser?  Kind of a round about way to get Chrome to launch into Docs when you try to open documents?

wow, that's a good idea to try.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #4: January 19, 2010, 06:51:34 PM »
i'm wondering if I can set up this old, slow computer as a Cloud Computing Monster.

I've already determined that I won't be trying to use this thing to play any games or anything, and it's mostly going to be for web surfing. and since the HD on this thing isn't very big (20GB *sadface) I'm wondering if I can't get a smaller OS, faster(using windows XP right now) that is more geared for the cloud and/or better for older/slower machines.

I'm researching. wanna have all my bases covered before I do anything.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #5: January 19, 2010, 07:02:14 PM »
i'm wondering if I can set up this old, slow computer as a Cloud Computing Monster.

I've already determined that I won't be trying to use this thing to play any games or anything, and it's mostly going to be for web surfing. and since the HD on this thing isn't very big (20GB *sadface) I'm wondering if I can't get a smaller OS, faster(using windows XP right now) that is more geared for the cloud and/or better for older/slower machines.

I'm researching. wanna have all my bases covered before I do anything.
You're a Google fanatic, try ChromeOS.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #6: January 19, 2010, 07:07:22 PM »
You're a Google fanatic, try ChromeOS.

well yeah...but ChromeOS doesn't come out till late 2010. I read an old article about a cloud-centric linux distro called gOS. i hadn't heard of it. I'm just gonna do some research about this, cause I don't wanna decide on a Linux Distro, and break my computer trying to install it. :rofl:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #7: January 19, 2010, 07:08:16 PM »
You could also try Puppy Linux.  I've ran it on older computers and it works well.  It's designed to be light and fast for older computers.

It's a Live CD, meaning you can run it straight from the CD without installing it to see if you like it before making any changes to your hard drive.

http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Offline Nathan

« Reply #8: January 19, 2010, 07:09:09 PM »
well yeah...but ChromeOS doesn't come out till late 2010. I read an old article about a cloud-centric linux distro called gOS. i hadn't heard of it. I'm just gonna do some research about this, cause I don't wanna decide on a Linux Distro, and break my computer trying to install it. :rofl:
Well, for something that comes out in late 2010, it sure works well on my time traveling MacBook Pro ;)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #9: January 19, 2010, 07:11:34 PM »
I have no experience with gOS, but it looks like a simple Linux for newbies to try:
http://www.thinkgos.com/gos/index.html

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #10: January 19, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »
Well, for something that comes out in late 2010, it sure works well on my time traveling MacBook Pro ;)

I hate you.

will ChromeOS even run on my computer? it's like a 8 year old laptop with ridiculously bad specs.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #11: January 19, 2010, 07:16:23 PM »
anyhow...is that a feasible concept? that switching OS to a smaller, lighter OS could possibly help computer performance on an older computer?

or is the OS irrelevant in regards to this?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #12: January 19, 2010, 07:23:57 PM »
A lightweight OS will make a big difference.

I'd suggest gOS or DSL if your laptop cannot handle gOS.

http://www.thinkgos.com/gos/features.html

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Offline Nathan

« Reply #13: January 19, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »
anyhow...is that a feasible concept? that switching OS to a smaller, lighter OS could possibly help computer performance on an older computer?

Download Puppy.  It's like 105 MB to download, burn it to a CD and then boot from the CD.  It will not make any changes to your computer, it's a live CD.  Minimum specs are 166MHz Pentium, 128 MB RAM, and 20x CD ROM drive.  It should run fine on your system.  Even from the CD, which can cause some slow down when reading stuff, I think you'll be surprised.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #14: January 19, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »
Download Puppy.

Personally I recommend DSL [over Puppy]. Better instructions for trying on a boot CD and than installing if desired for a non-geek if one needs to go that light.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #15: January 19, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »
Personally I recommend DSL. Better instructions for trying on a boot CD and than installing if desired for a non-geek if one needs to go that light.
Really?  I've heard the opposite, that Puppy is easier for a novice than DSL.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #16: January 19, 2010, 07:35:43 PM »
ok, i'm going to look into these. do they come with GUIs that are decently easy to use?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #17: January 19, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
Yes.  Puppy looks like this:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #18: January 19, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »

Yes, Windows is a resource hog.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #19: January 19, 2010, 07:38:27 PM »
Probably goes back and forth between Puppy and DSL. I admit being a couple months out of date but it doesn't look like it changed much.

Granted, I'd really recommend starting with gOS. Better GUI (granted a lot of personal taste in that statement), easy to install.

It doesn't take much for gOS the minimum is even lower; the recommended specs are:
700 MHz x86 processor
384 MB RAM
8 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
Sound card
A network or Internet connection

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #20: January 19, 2010, 07:41:31 PM »
this gOS looks very interesting. i read it started out on a cheap ass Walmart Computer back in 2007.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #21: January 19, 2010, 07:43:06 PM »
DSL seems less user friendly to me, based on the screenshots:

gOS looks like it needs at least a 1GHz PIII and 256MB RAM, so it might be ok on JMad's laptop.  Does it have a live CD?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #22: January 19, 2010, 07:45:21 PM »
I'm probably going to try the gOS, provided it is still actively updated and supported.

I need to make sure that my wireless card and the few downloaded applications that I use (LastFM, for example) and such will be compatible with the OS though. I don't wanna install the OS and then not be able to get on the web to update it and get the drivers I need.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #23: January 19, 2010, 07:48:02 PM »
gOS has hotter chicks. ;)

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #24: January 19, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
Probably goes back and forth between Puppy and DSL. I admit being a couple months out of date but it doesn't look like it changed much.

Granted, I'd really recommend starting with gOS. Better GUI (granted a lot of personal taste in that statement), easy to install.

It doesn't take much for gOS the minimum is even lower; the recommended specs are:
700 MHz x86 processor
384 MB RAM
8 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
Sound card
A network or Internet connection

gOS is 8GB?