Author Topic: Linux Thread  (Read 20452 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Linux Thread
« Reply #75: January 22, 2010, 04:20:08 PM »
geeky words

Another one comes out of hiding ;)

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #76: January 22, 2010, 04:23:08 PM »
Another one comes out of hiding ;)

Darn right. It is like pulling teeth to get me to acknowledge any geeky aptitude outside of work.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #77: January 22, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »
Darn right. It is like pulling teeth to get me to acknowledge any geeky aptitude outside of work.

I do not want to spend all day fixing other people's computers, I hear you.

My parents pull enough of that kind of stuff :lol:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #78: January 22, 2010, 10:48:29 PM »
I gotta say, the only real, true problem I am having with this Linux installation, is simply finding things.  it's like the file system is in another language or something. :rofl:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #79: January 22, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »
Everything (documents, downloads, etc) should be in your home directory or ~/ for shorthand.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #80: January 22, 2010, 10:50:19 PM »
Oh, and just remember that the slash is the right way, not like windows. ;)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #81: January 22, 2010, 10:58:11 PM »
I gotta say, the only real, true problem I am having with this Linux installation, is simply finding things.  it's like the file system is in another language or something. :rofl:

Linux shell is supposed to be like programming language  - I find it makes a lot of sense, but you have to be used to it.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #82: January 24, 2010, 10:20:19 PM »
Figure I'd give a little update on my status here.

I've settled on Puppy Linux. I like it a lot. it's small, but still packs a lot. It has great hardware compatibility (pretty much everything I have worked right off the bat, without any difficult set-up, even my wireless card).  I'm running Google Chrome, but Gears apparently does not work in Linux, so I will have to wait some more for Offline compatibility. I'm cool with that.

besides Chrome, I'm basically running on defaults for now. Abiword, Gnumeric. not sure if I actually want to install OpenOffice, seeing that I use Google Docs for most stuff. If I am offline, I'll use Abiword for now. I really don't do much that requires a really heavy Office Suite.

Got WINE, haven't bothered to play with it yet though. I will eventually. Having a little bit of trouble getting JavaRuntime properly installed. got Flash already.

Gotta say, I really like the Virtual Desktops. that's a pretty neat feature. yeah i know you can probably do it in Windows too, but I never knew how to, and it came default in Linux.

will post a screenshot of my desktop in a little bit.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #83: January 24, 2010, 10:23:16 PM »
I've settled on Puppy Linux. I like it a lot.

Cool. As long as it works for you. I do really like that about Linux; there is a flavor for nearly everyone.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #84: January 24, 2010, 10:27:09 PM »
Surprisingly there is still not a native virtual desktop feature in Windows.  There are various third party apps that will do the same thing, and XP had an unofficial powertoy that MS made, but nothing built in yet.  Always struck me as sort of a poor man's multiple monitor solution, but it can be useful.  I've never really gotten into the groove of using it, but I think that's because I'm just used to not having it as a feature.

Do you 'nix guys use it a lot?  Does Mac have something like it?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #85: January 24, 2010, 10:29:36 PM »
Surprisingly there is still not a native virtual desktop feature in Windows.  There are various third party apps that will do the same thing, and XP had an unofficial powertoy that MS made, but nothing built in yet.  Always struck me as sort of a poor man's multiple monitor solution, but it can be useful.  I've never really gotten into the groove of using it, but I think that's because I'm just used to not having it as a feature.

I always switch desktops by mistake and get all confused.

It's nice if your window manager is boned, you can just get a text prompt on another desktop and kill X.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #86: January 24, 2010, 10:31:23 PM »
I always switch desktops by mistake and get all confused.

I guess that may be why Windows doesn't have it.  I can imagine people accidentally moving something to another desktop and then freaking out.  I'd probably get a call something like "My Adobe keeps disppearing, I think I have a virus"

Offline Nathan

« Reply #87: January 24, 2010, 10:31:38 PM »

Yes, it's called "Spaces" on a Mac.  I've used it on occasion, with a full screen xp vm on one of the spaces to switch back and forth from xp and os x.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #88: January 24, 2010, 10:35:14 PM »

I'm addicted to it when working with *unix at work. I use it to logically align terminal windows for various servers and tasks. Very handy when working with a dozen or so servers.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #89: January 24, 2010, 10:38:18 PM »
Yes, it's called "Spaces" on a Mac.  I've used it on occasion, with a full screen xp vm on one of the spaces to switch back and forth from xp and os x.

Yeah, I like to connect to a monitor and run windows on one and a Linux VM on another.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #90: January 24, 2010, 10:43:34 PM »
I imagine the Virtual Desktops would come in handy for doing stuff at work that isn't work related.

keep work on one desktop, keep web-surfing on the other one.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #91: January 24, 2010, 10:45:08 PM »
I imagine the Virtual Desktops would come in handy for doing stuff at work that isn't work related.

keep work on one desktop, keep web-surfing on the other one.

Yeah I run iTunes, Firefox etc on Windows, and do a lot of work in Linux. Although some programs just run better in Windows :shock:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #92: January 24, 2010, 10:45:33 PM »
Yeah. That too. ;)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #93: January 24, 2010, 10:52:52 PM »
That's actually one of the main reasons I initially switched to the new taskbar style in Win 7 - no button labels means nobody can tell what I'm doing when they walk up and I hit Win-D :lol:

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #94: January 24, 2010, 10:54:30 PM »

I use it fairly often when working on different projects at once.  I have limited myself to 4 though, otherwise I do lose track.  But it is nice on each desktop to have the respective apps all open for only that project rather than, say, four unrelated spreadsheets, filezilla tabs, Komodo projects all cluttering a single desktop.  

The one thing I do not like is that Thunderbird's mail/calendar alerts only pop-up on the first desktop upon which it was opened.  Thunderbird will not open multiple instances regardless of the number of desktops.  It may be an extension as Firefox has no similar pissmeoff, but I've just lived with it rather than try to find a resolution.  TB 3, the last I checked, did not work with Lightning or google calendar, so I am still using TB 2.  I probably ought to check it again

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #95: January 24, 2010, 11:05:04 PM »
That's actually one of the main reasons I initially switched to the new taskbar style in Win 7 - no button labels means nobody can tell what I'm doing when they walk up and I hit Win-D :lol:
+1 :clap:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #96: January 25, 2010, 09:38:25 AM »
here is my Puppy Linux desktop:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #97: January 25, 2010, 09:47:34 AM »
If there's one thing I wish Linux would do, it's make the taskbar (or whatever it's called) a little more stylish by default.  Almost without exception, they all have that flat ugly look with the same old desktop icon that's been around for as long as I can remember.  I know you can theme it yourself, but that's not the point.

Very stylin' setup otherwise though.  The app launcher looks nice, and I dig the wallpaper :thumbs:

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #98: January 25, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
Semi-related

Apple's shares are currently halted from trading.  Usually that it bad news, very bad news, but in this case it is because Apple out-sandbagged itself this time.

Expected $2.08 a share on $12.1 billion in revenue

Actual $3.67 a share on on $15.7 billion in revenue

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #99: January 25, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »
Semi-related

Apple's shares are currently halted from trading.  Usually that it bad news, very bad news, but in this case it is because Apple out-sandbagged itself this time.

Expected $2.08 a share on $12.1 billion in revenue

Actual $3.67 a share on on $15.7 billion in revenue

just wait until the 'itablet' releases- you'll see some plummeting.