Author Topic: Examiner - Bowden on acquiring Wilson  (Read 2667 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Examiner - Bowden on acquiring Wilson
« Topic Start: July 22, 2005, 09:33:46 AM »
Bowden's weekly article in the Examiner - background on how the deal happened.  More great stuff from the Examiner!

http://www.dcexaminer.com/articles/2005/07/22/sports/nationals_wizards_orioles_redskins/nationals/001_col_bowden.txt

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

« Reply #1: July 22, 2005, 01:55:48 PM »
I thought this article offered excellent insight.

We all love to play GM but its nice to see a trade broken down by somebody actually doing the job.

While I know Bowden - like anyone else - will tend to put things in the best light for himself, the article seems plausible and I have no reason to believe its not an accurate account of the process. make you realize Wilson was - not necessarily in Bowden's or anyone else's view - perhaps not the BEST bat out there but perhaps the best who was "gettable."

I also thought the comments on Church pretty much answer who goes when it comes to OF changes. If he wouldn't give up Church for Wilson (plus describes him as a ROY guy) kinda suspect Church will stay, Wilkierson will go (unless some just spectacular offer comes in for Church).

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: July 22, 2005, 02:55:11 PM »
If you read between the lines, that article also said something else. (at least I think so) It said that Bowden wasn't prepared to trade any of what he considered his big guns (Vidro, Johnson or Wilkerson). That means, he's really only willing to give up prospects or mostly prospects in any deal. Well, all the teams who have the pitching (or whatever) the Nats need want players who can help them now.

After reading that article, I stopped holding my breathe waiting for another trade, because apparently Bowden doesn't have the balls to pull off a big move.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: July 22, 2005, 03:24:51 PM »
Ken, I disagree with you on Bowden, though I can't really explain why.  Just a feeling that he's not afraid to pull the trigger on a big deal, if a half-decent one comes along.

Thing is, he may not get a good enough deal to make, and he'll be criticized for doing nothing.  In some cases, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

« Reply #4: July 22, 2005, 04:08:03 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Ken, I disagree with you on Bowden, though I can't really explain why.  Just a feeling that he's not afraid to pull the trigger on a big deal, if a half-decent one comes along.

Thing is, he may not get a good enough deal to make, and he'll be criticized for doing nothing.  In some cases, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Plus Bowden's whole reputation is of a guy with an itchy trigger finger who will trade just about anybody anytime in the season.

I agree with tomterp that its more a combination of a lack of tradable players. Look at the guys who you would have just about bet would be traded who are on the DL: Sledge (or another OF if he had played great in April), Rauch, Spivey. Plus all the guys who were on the DL at a time when Bowden might have pulled off a trade for them. We all remember Day-Encarnacion but who knows if Bowden had plans to trade Vidro B4 the trip to the DL, Nick (same), Wilkie (vague forearm nerve problem which may scare away bidders) or Armas.

Other thing is money. I have zero doubt that is MLB had gotten ownership in place by the deadline we'd be seeing one of those "star player for prospects and an undisclosed amount of cash" deals.

Final thing is actual MLB restrictions on him. I dunno if they have told him he can't trade "stars" or what stars the Nats have, pending new ownership and has to regard himself as the Nats steward, not permanent GM.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: July 22, 2005, 04:13:50 PM »
Oh Bowden has the tools, he just aint got the jewels...

« Reply #6: July 22, 2005, 04:44:29 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Oh Bowden has the tools, he just aint got the jewels...

LOL
Yeah, I know that's your current view.

Ain't seen him in the shower so I dunno. Can't say it seems the most likely explanation to me.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #7: July 22, 2005, 06:59:41 PM »
LOLOL  Thankfully, I'm not into peeking into showers either... But that was the poet in me that popped that reply off...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: July 23, 2005, 09:52:34 AM »
Great new avatar, Ken!

luckyexposfan

« Reply #9: July 23, 2005, 12:32:32 PM »
As a member of the team and a big part of its chemistry, I love Wilkerson.  But as far as numbers go, I'd trade him in a heartbeat for another Carroll or Schneider (sorry I know I'm beating that point home but it's so true...  power is wasted at RFK and on this team in general)