Author Topic: the MLB Network thread.  (Read 45550 times)

Offline eckseid

Re: the MLB Network thread.
« Reply #125: January 30, 2009, 07:26:14 PM »
I have Fios and I'm getting it no problem.

Same.

Offline arlington

« Reply #126: January 30, 2009, 11:49:46 PM »
Well tonight I have MLB Network once again.  Too bad I tuned in to the 47th airing this month of the 2005 Home Run Derby.  But at least it's back with no mention of a subscription. 

The channel caption remains orange instead of green, if that is any kind of omen. 

I'm sure this will crop up again, especially if there is going to be a program I want to see. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #127: February 13, 2009, 11:38:31 AM »
These classic World Series they show on MLB Network are awesome. Jackie Robinson was FAST! There were some really great defensive players back then, too.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #128: February 14, 2009, 10:14:55 AM »
I actually enjoyed the films of the WWII World Series they showed this week.  When the Cardinals played the Browns in 1944, would all the series games have been played in Sportsmans Park (later to be the first Busch Stadium)?  I think that was the Browns stadium and the Cardinals played there too and then became the sole occupant when the Browns moved somewhere that had a Memorial Stadium. 

You are correct -- both the Cards and Browns shared Sportsmans Park in St. Louis prior to the Browns vacating for Baltimore.  The Browns were the landlord -- they rented the Park to the Cards, and there was an apartment in the Stadium that both the Browns and Cardinals managers shared living quarters -- each staying there when their team was playing home games.   For the 1944 series, one manager had to find another place to stay. When Bill Veeck owned the Browns, his family lived in the apartment.

Its interesting.  One of the reasons why the Cards eventually became as successful as they were was the fact they didn't have to invest in building a stadium.  They rented the park, and put what otherwise would have been spent on bricks and concrete in their farm system.  Although, if you read about the history surrounding the Browns move out of St. Louis, there was a time in the early 50s when it wasn't for sure which of the two St. Louis teams would leave town first.  The Browns, of course, were miserable, and didn't draw many fans. The Cards had a bigger following, but had fallen on hard times -- after winning it all in 1946, and still fielding generally competitive teams, the Cards owner was indicted for tax fraud, and suspended by the other owners.  He had to sell the team quick to pay off his debts, and there were rumors the Cards were moving to a variety of outposts -- Milwaukee, Houston, Baltimore, Atlanta.  Then, in 1953, Gussie Busch rode in on his white horse and rescued the Cards, and by buying the Stadium, freed the Browns and allowed them to relocate the following year.

MrMadison

« Reply #129: February 14, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »
I have to say that MLB Network is a solid win in my book. the programming is fantastic, the analysts are great, the conversations are far more indepth than say Baseball Tonight.

I love the channel already.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #130: February 18, 2009, 09:57:39 AM »
I have to say that MLB Network is a solid win in my book. the programming is fantastic, the analysts are great, the conversations are far more indepth than say Baseball Tonight.

I love the channel already.

+1

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #131: February 18, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
I like MLBN but I don't get it with the standard digital cable package at my new place...  anyone know what the cheapest package that includes it is for Comcast, and how much additional that package costs?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #132: February 18, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »
I like MLBN but I don't get it with the standard digital cable package at my new place...  anyone know what the cheapest package that includes it is for Comcast, and how much additional that package costs?

I sure do.  It's called the "dump Comcast and get DirecTV" plan.

And why would The Million Dollar Man be going on the cheap?  I guess a million doesn't go as far as it used to.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #133: February 18, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »
:lol:

Unfortunately dumping Comcast isn't an option as I'd still be paying for it anyway.  Standard digital cable (provided by Comcast) is bundled with the rent and cannot be opted out of.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #134: February 18, 2009, 11:04:02 AM »
:lol:

Unfortunately dumping Comcast isn't an option as I'd still be paying for it anyway.  Standard digital cable (provided by Comcast) is bundled with the rent and cannot be opted out of.

Depends on your market - i think it comes with "Digital Premier" and not the sports package that you have to pay for to get NFL Network.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #135: February 18, 2009, 11:19:21 AM »
And why would The Million Dollar Man be going on the cheap?  I guess a million doesn't go as far as it used to.

Well according to the LAC crowd, being cheap is how you get to be a millionaire in the first place ;)

Actually I'm pretty sure both sides say that.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #136: February 18, 2009, 07:55:57 PM »
"30 clubs in 30 days" starts on Friday. There will be an hour-long segment on each team. Anyone know the schedule?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #137: February 18, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »
The Nats' one is on Saturday, February 28th.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #138: February 18, 2009, 10:47:58 PM »
They have a good segment reminiscing on Griffey as Mariner on right now.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #139: February 18, 2009, 10:56:40 PM »
I sure do.  It's called the "dump Comcast and get DirecTV" plan.

Didn't you see the segment where Ted Dibiase told a kid he'd give him a certain amount of money if he dribbled a ball ten times without interruption?  The kid got to 9, and then Dibiase knocked the ball away.

Dude protected his money.

"Just like the Lerners. 8)"

Offline The Chief

« Reply #140: February 18, 2009, 11:34:48 PM »
Didn't you see the segment where Ted Dibiase told a kid he'd give him a certain amount of money if he dribbled a ball ten times without interruption?  The kid got to 9, and then Dibiase knocked the ball away.

Why do you think the site is up and down so much?  I'm just having fun freaking around with you guys.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #141: February 18, 2009, 11:38:50 PM »
:rofl:

If you're the Million Dollar Man, then does that make Tomterp Mr. Perfect?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #142: February 18, 2009, 11:41:02 PM »

Only if Tomterp is a zombie :shock:

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #143: February 18, 2009, 11:46:56 PM »
Dang dude, ya had to go all morbid on me.

I should've said "Mr. Perfect of 1988," I suppose. :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #144: February 19, 2009, 10:46:01 AM »

Only if Tomterp is a zombie :shock:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.  Maybe that's a good thing...

Offline The Chief

« Reply #145: February 19, 2009, 10:58:15 AM »
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.  Maybe that's a good thing...

Mr Perfect was another wrestler, but he died several years ago (the actual guy, not the character)

I don't really know why he chose Mr. Perfect.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #146: February 19, 2009, 11:06:46 AM »
Mr Perfect was another wrestler, but he died several years ago (the actual guy, not the character)

I don't really know why he chose Mr. Perfect.

Acta believes I have an exaggerated notion of self.

« Reply #147: February 19, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »
Acta believes I have an exaggerated notion of self.

Or maybe he really likes you.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #148: February 19, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »

Offline eckseid

« Reply #149: February 24, 2009, 03:19:06 PM »
From what I've read, D.C./N.VA should be getting MLB HD on FIOS now. Hope it's soon for Richmond.