Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 79716 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #275: May 15, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
I had a bottle of cask-strength Edradour from the Heathrow duty free that was pretty much off the hook...might have been "only" 12 years old, but peaty as balls and just downright dreamy.  

Offline Dave B

« Reply #276: May 24, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »
Free Johnnie Walker Black, Green, Gold, and Blue tasting tomorrow

http://littlemisswhiskeys.com/#events

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #277: May 24, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
Free Johnnie Walker Black, Green, Gold, and Blue tasting tomorrow

http://littlemisswhiskeys.com/#events

Stupid baby. I would drink all that whiskey and still pwn at trivia.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #278: May 25, 2010, 01:43:19 PM »
Stupid baby. I would drink all that whiskey and still pwn at trivia.

:lol: nomination for Dad of the year quote.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #279: May 25, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
dont think i'm a fan of the scotch...

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #280: May 25, 2010, 10:33:13 PM »

Try 15 year Highland Park young padawan. I defy you to not like it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #281: May 25, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »

Don't say that around a scotch drinker, they will say "it's an acquired taste" while they think to themselves, "he's got no taste at all".

Offline Dave B

« Reply #282: May 25, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »
Don't say that around a scotch drinker, they will say "it's an acquired taste" while they think to themselves, "he's got no taste at all".

but i also used to not like hoppy stuff, now i do.  i went to a tequila tasting, then bought like $300 worth of tequila over a month or two.  i've tried some whiskeys recently, tullamore dew, paddy, michael collins, knob creek, some kind of rendezvous rye and was like "i could get into this". this johnnie walker tasting didnt do anything for me. the blue was smooth and didnt burn, but i'm not a fan of the smokey/slim jim taste.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #283: May 25, 2010, 10:43:29 PM »
but i also used to not like hoppy stuff, now i do.  i went to a tequila tasting, then bought like $300 worth of tequila over a month or two.  i've tried some whiskeys recently, tullamore dew, paddy, michael collins, knob creek, some kind of rendezvous rye and was like "i could get into this". this johnnie walker tasting didnt do anything for me. the blue was smooth and didnt burn, but i'm not a fan of the smokey/slim jim taste.

Tullamore dew is swamp water. Get a single malt. Islay whiskeys taste like a campfire, Highland Park is sweeter and smooth.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #284: May 25, 2010, 11:00:26 PM »
but i also used to not like hoppy stuff, now i do.  i went to a tequila tasting, then bought like $300 worth of tequila over a month or two.  i've tried some whiskeys recently, tullamore dew, paddy, michael collins, knob creek, some kind of rendezvous rye and was like "i could get into this". this johnnie walker tasting didnt do anything for me. the blue was smooth and didnt burn, but i'm not a fan of the smokey/slim jim taste.

Did you like the rye?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #285: May 25, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »
Did you like the rye?

it was alright. considered buying a bottle. a little burning, but i think it was kinda sweet before that.  i dont have any urge to buy johnnie walker

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #286: May 25, 2010, 11:05:51 PM »
I am a Rum guy through and through.

tried Scotch, its ok. not my thing, but not terrible.

I love Rum though.  Mango Rum + Pineapple Juice is godly.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #287: May 25, 2010, 11:07:05 PM »
I am a Rum guy through and through.

Mango Rum + Pineapple Juice is godly. girly

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #288: May 25, 2010, 11:09:53 PM »
it was alright. considered buying a bottle. a little burning, but i think it was kinda sweet before that.  i dont have any urge to buy johnnie walker

Seems to be a highly regarded one, probably fairly high alcohol content. I have no interest in Johnny Walker.

High West Rendezvous Rye Whiskey 750ml
SKU #1037707

Winner of the Double Gold San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2008! Rendezvous is created from two exotic straight rye whiskies: a 6-year-old 95% rye and a 16-year-old 80% rye. A higher proportion of unmalted rye gives Rendezvous a unique flavor profile with notes of spicy cinnamon, caramel, honey, mint, and vanilla. Rendezvous is not chill filtered, a cosmetic step almost all large companies use to remove the natural oils that cause a haze when whiskey gets cold. This also removes flavor, texture, and the lingering finish we really enjoy! 95 Points from the Malt Advocate!!!!!

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1037707#moreinfo

Offline Dave B

« Reply #289: May 25, 2010, 11:18:06 PM »
from what i gathered, johnnie walker just mixes other people's whiskeys. one had like 26 whiskeys. why? its like when dominos makes an 11 cheese pizza. what is wrong with one good whiskey/cheese?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #290: May 25, 2010, 11:19:33 PM »
from what i gathered, johnnie walker just mixes other people's whiskeys. one had like 26 whiskeys. why? its like when dominos makes an 11 cheese pizza. what is wrong with one good whiskey/cheese?

Most blends tast awful. Walker is not bad. Pebble Beach is pretty good, Caol Isla is pretty good, Lagavulin will be too smoky for you.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #291: May 25, 2010, 11:21:07 PM »
PA - I don't give a crap if it is girly. it tastes good and that's all that matters.

I never did understand the obsession with drinking nasty ass bitter drinks just so people think you are "manly". and if you drink something that actually tastes good then you aren't "manly" enough.

:cmonson.jpg:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #292: May 25, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »
PA - I don't give a crap if it is girly. it tastes good and that's all that matters.

I never did understand the obsession with drinking nasty ass bitter drinks just so people think you are "manly". and if you drink something that actually tastes good then you aren't "manly" enough.

:cmonson.jpg:

That's why when I was in the Caribbean I drank every rum punch and fruity frosty drink I could, because that's where you do it.

I really like the way good Scotch tastes. I drink it neat. Even the Highland Park website suggests some cold water to open up the taste, but I like it better concentrated.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #293: May 25, 2010, 11:30:52 PM »
Most blends tast awful. Walker is not bad. Pebble Beach is pretty good, Caol Isla is pretty good, Lagavulin will be too smoky for you.

i;ve been told lagavulin was one of the first ones ai drank years ago. might as well lick a chimney

• babble on
« Reply #294: May 26, 2010, 10:23:28 AM »
Anyone see the Kids in the Hall skit, "Girly Drink Drunk"?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #295: May 26, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »
i;ve been told lagavulin was one of the first ones ai drank years ago. might as well lick a chimney

I would go speyside, about as mild as you can get

« Reply #296: May 26, 2010, 11:59:14 AM »
I have recently become a gin fiend.

I especially like a Gin Gimlet made with Tanqueray Gin. Two or three of those and I start playing centerfield like Nyjer Morgan.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #297: May 26, 2010, 01:09:25 PM »
Gin is the nastiest tasting liquor I have ever had.

i'd rather drink Beer. and I am not at all fond of Beer.

• babble on
« Reply #298: May 26, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
I picked up a bottle of Haitian rum a few weeks ago...pretty good, actually.  I was expecting Ton Ton Macoute grade zombie piss, but it actually stacks up quite favourably to the best aromatic rums I've had from Jamaica and such places.  Unfortunately, whatever supply the distributors have on hand is all we'll be seeing for a while, seeing as the distillery is in Port au Prince and got flattened in the earthquake. 

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #299: May 26, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »
I have recently become a gin fiend.

I especially like a Gin Gimlet made with Tanqueray Gin. Two or three of those and I start playing centerfield like Nyjer Morgan.

Gin is good, Tanquery and tonic or straight up with olives and a bit of vermouth - nice and simple, just one small reason why I miss my liver.