Author Topic: "Patterson Feels No Pain"  (Read 1564 times)

"Patterson Feels No Pain"
« Topic Start: August 02, 2007, 08:58:28 PM »

This is on the Nats website this evening.  If you read it, please pay attention to Jim Bowden's comment.

Notes: Patterson feels no pain
08/02/2007 8:32 PM ET
By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

WASHINGTON -- Nationals right-hander John Patterson (nerve problems in his right elbow and biceps) played catch on Thursday afternoon and didn't feel any pain.
Patterson, who returned to the Nationals on Tuesday, spent more than two weeks in Toronto to treat his ailing arm. Patterson had treatments similar to what Athletics closer Huston Street went through earlier in the year. Patterson saw chiropractors, was in a hyperbaric chamber and had homeopathic injections, lasers and frequency-specific microcurrents. These types of treatments are not approved in the United States. Patterson was working with Dr. Anthony Galea.

On Thursday afternoon, Patterson did not want to talk about what he went through in Toronto. In fact, Patterson was uncharacteristically short with the local media. He declined to say why he was so upset.

"I really just have one comment and the comment is basically, I feel good, I feel great. It's the best I've felt in two years and the treatment was a success," Patterson said. "I have a throwing program that I'm following and that's it. That's the only comment that I have."

General manager Jim Bowden said he understood why the right-hander was very short with the media.

"When you are a player and you are hurt, it's not your fault and you tend to be criticized by media and fans," Bowden said. "Certainly, he would like to do his talking on the mound and being the John Patterson that won nine [games in 2005]."

Patterson will go to Florida within a week to start working out in the Nationals' Spring Training complex. The team is hoping that he will start pitching in Major League games sometime in September.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: "Patterson Feels No Pain"
« Reply #1: August 02, 2007, 09:03:50 PM »

Patterson will go to Florida within a week to start working out in the Nationals' Spring Training complex. The team is hoping that he will start pitching in Major League games sometime in September.

Huzzah. This is what I meant by put up or shut up - too bad they didn't send him North sooner. Hope he earns himself a contract for next year

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: August 03, 2007, 11:28:42 PM »
Funny he had to go to that commie cesspit (to borrow terms previously coined elsewhere in this forum) to receive treatment.  Yet another perfect example of the primacy of the free market in all matters, including medicine, natch.

Anyways, I have my fingers crossed...c'mon Patty, feel better already!! You need to knock the Phillies out of the playoffs next month!!

Huzzah. This is what I meant by put up or shut up - too bad they didn't send him North sooner. Hope he earns himself a contract for next year

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #3: August 04, 2007, 12:11:02 PM »
So now when is nick johnson coming back?

Offline kimnat

« Reply #4: August 04, 2007, 12:18:51 PM »
Anyways, I have my fingers crossed...c'mon Patty, feel better already!! You need to knock the Phillies out of the playoffs next month!!

Didn't we do that last year?

Offline kimnat

« Reply #5: August 04, 2007, 12:20:22 PM »

*cough* unfortunately probably never *cough*

(little girl frustratingly screaming same comment at same time as grown up mutters it during coughing fits under her breath)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #6: August 04, 2007, 02:20:16 PM »

Do you think he's coming back at all JMad?

Offline kimnat

« Reply #7: August 04, 2007, 02:47:07 PM »
LOL!!!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #8: August 04, 2007, 03:54:28 PM »
Spider - we sure didnt re-sign Dmitri Young to play Left Field.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #9: August 04, 2007, 04:13:19 PM »
Spider - we sure didnt re-sign Dmitri Young to play Left Field.

I tend to agree with you on that. I was just curious about your hunch on the topic. So far that's JMad, Erica and Spider who have reservations about NJ coming back.  :lol: If NJ gets desperate maybe he can go to Toronto for treatments.  ;)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #10: August 04, 2007, 04:39:16 PM »
I've had reservations about NJ coming back since the beginning of the year. With his luck and his injury, there was slim chance of his return.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #11: August 04, 2007, 04:39:32 PM »
Lets send Escobar up there....

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #12: August 04, 2007, 05:36:29 PM »
I've had reservations about NJ coming back since the beginning of the year. With his luck and his injury, there was slim chance of his return.

As long as he clobbers the ball next year, I'm happy.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #13: August 04, 2007, 06:57:02 PM »
As long as he clobbers the ball next year, I'm happy.

I don't see NJ having a great year next year.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #14: August 04, 2007, 11:52:14 PM »
After a giddy night like tonight, it's hard to think straight about 1B in 2009...but I have a feeling it won't be NJ>

Offline kimnat

« Reply #15: August 05, 2007, 12:07:55 AM »
I tend to agree with you on that. I was just curious about your hunch on the topic. So far that's JMad, Erica and Spider who have reservations about NJ coming back.  :lol: If NJ gets desperate maybe he can go to Toronto for treatments.  ;)

haha

« Reply #16: August 05, 2007, 01:08:11 PM »

Some of the treatments Patterson had might help Nick.  I don't think he would need the injections in his elbow, however.  Though possibly injections in his hip, if that is where the problem is, might help. Dr. Galea believes in fast healing and that is what Nick needs.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: August 05, 2007, 03:08:55 PM »
Some of the treatments Patterson had might help Nick.  I don't think he would need the injections in his elbow, however.  Though possibly injections in his hip, if that is where the problem is, might help. Dr. Galea believes in fast healing and that is what Nick needs.

If anybody needs to help their body heal faster, it's Nick.

« Reply #18: August 05, 2007, 06:19:01 PM »
Here is a slightly expanded article about Patterson which appeared in Slam! Sports and was written by AP writen Howard Fendrich.  By the way, from the research I have done, it appears that most or all of the treatments JP had ARE available in the U.S.  It is difficult to say with certainty as I don't know exactly what treatments he had.

Nationals pitcher John Patterson on mend after mysterious Toronto treatments

By HOWARD PENDRICH

WASHINGTON (AP) - Right-hander John Patterson is back with the Washington Nationals after a trip to Toronto for some unorthodox treatment on a bothersome nerve in his pitching arm.

Patterson played catch Thursday, then spoke to the media for the first time in about a month, but only briefly - 22 seconds to be exact - in an oddly terse exchange. "I really just have one comment, and the comment is basically that I feel good," Patterson said in the home clubhouse at RFK Stadium. "I feel great.

"It's the best I've felt in two years, and the treatment was a success. I have a throwing program that I'm following. That's the only comment I have."

A reporter asked: "Will you be back this year?"

Patterson replied: "Yeah, but that's all I have to say."

As the normally affable Patterson began to walk away, another reporter asked, "How come?"

There was no reply from Washington's opening day starter, who is 1-5 with a 7.47 ERA in seven starts this season.

"It's frustrating to keep talking about injuries, for as long as he's been," said GM Jim Bowden. "We support John 100 per cent.

"John has given everything he's had to come back - 100 per cent effort - and we're behind him. I can be short some days, too. It's OK."

Bowden said Patterson, on the disabled list since May 6, will head to Florida in the next week to continue his throwing program.

"We'll just keep monitoring him, but we expect him to pitch here in September," the GM said. "He's had some legitimate medical problems that have been very difficult that he's had to endure, which happens to guys, but the good news is that he's making progress medically.

"Threw pain-free today. So we're hoping his troubles are behind him."

After visiting four doctors during a cross-country trek in June, hoping to find a solution to the nerve problem, Patterson decided to try a treatment Bowden said was also used by Oakland Athletics closer Huston Street - and no one else in the majors.

Bowden wouldn't describe what Patterson had done in Toronto.

"It's very complicated, and they're new medical procedures that haven't been done before," he said. "We're breaking new ground and doing new procedures that's never been done before.

"So we don't know how it's going to play out. But so far, so good. We'll take it one step at a time. We're not going to promise anything."