Author Topic: Greatest Nats Games (Was Ranking Nats @ Dodgers, 9/3/14)  (Read 2324 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Obviously the #1 (2012 NLDS Game 4) and #2 (Strasburg debut) spots are taken in the list of greatest games in franchise history.  Was today/tonight's game #3? 

I'd still have to put it behind Zimm's father's day walk-off against the Yankees, but given the playoff importance of the game, and the spectacle that it was, I'd squarely rank it #4 of all time.

UPDATE: CHANGING TITLE AFTER ZIMM NO HITTER

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Ranking Nats @ Dodgers, 9/3/14
« Reply #1: September 03, 2014, 10:51:35 PM »
Obviously the #1 (2012 NLDS Game 4) and #2 (Strasburg debut) spots are taken in the list of greatest games in franchise history.  Was today/tonight's game #3? 

I'd still have to put it behind Zimm's father's day walk-off against the Yankees, but given the playoff importance of the game, and the spectacle that it was, I'd squarely rank it #4 of all time.

First game at RFK and opening day 2008 have to be on the list

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: September 03, 2014, 11:01:35 PM »
Truth, I quit on this game twice.  First at work, when it was 2-0 after the tip of the 8th.  I thought, "Jansen coming in, done."   I road a CaBi bike from downtown to Shirlington, then back to CC, showered, strolled out towards CCSP.  Was shocked looking through the M&S window to see the Nats on with a lead in extras and Clip on the mound.  Figured the game was over, with Crawford at bat, and there'd be nothing but recaps to watch at the bar.  Surprised to see it 5-5 when I showed up.   Watched the Treinen innings, saw the ALR go ahead and the Adrubel dagger.   Ordered a Kamikaze, but meant to order a Snakebite.  Got the Snakebite, then as a penalty had to do a Kamikaze as well.  :glug:

Offline More of #34

« Reply #3: September 03, 2014, 11:36:11 PM »
I don't know where it rates but it was one of the best ballgames I've ever seen.  The Nats' hitters coming back over and over plus their pitchers who worked their way out of bases-loaded jams were both extraordinary.  This team is special, almost other-worldly.

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #4: September 04, 2014, 12:24:09 AM »
I don't know where it rates but it was one of the best ballgames I've ever seen.  The Nats' hitters coming back over and over plus their pitchers who worked their way out of bases-loaded jams were both extraordinary.  This team is special, almost other-worldly.

Getting out of back-to-back, 1-out bases loaded jams is almost unheard of.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #5: September 04, 2014, 03:14:26 AM »
I'd like to see a homage to the *glory* years of the francise, Ramon Ortiz's near-no hitter and HR at the old RFK  :shock:

There was a palpable intensity to this game, on both sides. Maybe it's football season in the air, but this game was a contact sport. Awesome to watch.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #6: September 04, 2014, 06:15:58 AM »
It matches Game 6 of the 1975 World Series between the Red Sox & Reds - except this one didn't have quite the same national audience.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #7: September 04, 2014, 06:32:16 AM »
This game helped me to continue to get over the memory of Khalil Greene breaking our hearts.  In fact, I may even skip my therapy session this week.  Paging Chad Cordero,

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #8: September 04, 2014, 08:07:40 AM »
I think this trumps the Strasburg debut

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: September 04, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »
Truth, I quit on this game twice.  First at work, when it was 2-0 after the tip of the 8th.  I thought, "Jansen coming in, done."   I road a CaBi bike from downtown to Shirlington, then back to CC, showered, strolled out towards CCSP.  Was shocked looking through the M&S window to see the Nats on with a lead in extras and Clip on the mound.  Figured the game was over, with Crawford at bat, and there'd be nothing but recaps to watch at the bar.  Surprised to see it 5-5 when I showed up.   Watched the Treinen innings, saw the ALR go ahead and the Adrubel dagger.   Ordered a Kamikaze, but meant to order a Snakebite.  Got the Snakebite, then as a penalty had to do a Kamikaze as well.  :glug:

:worship:

My son was begging to throw a ball so after Blevins had 1st and 2nd with no outs I decided I was done and we went outside.  We came back just in time to see the third out.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: September 04, 2014, 08:14:51 AM »
It matches Game 6 of the 1975 World Series between the Red Sox & Reds - except this one didn't have quite the same national audience.
Reminded me of game 5 (final game) of the 1980 Phillies-Astros NLCS; not much happened for much of the game and then all of a sudden it was back and forth.

I think it was better than the SS debut game.  Someone mentioned the Ryan Z walk off on fathers Day against the Yankees (2206 or 2007?); I was at the game the day before that and it was the best Nats game I have been to in person other than NLDS game 4 in 2012.  Forget the score but we came from way back to beat the Yankees in a high scoring affair.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #11: September 04, 2014, 08:15:54 AM »
One of the best I've seen. I watched it all. My wife went golfing at game time and when she returned at 8:30, just after Cabrera's HR, she couldn't believe it was still on.  :)

When you get Vin Scully nagging on his team about not coming through in the clutch, you have really accomplished something! Cedeno's strikeout of AGon base-loaded, one-out, was masterful. (and that's just one highlight)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #12: September 04, 2014, 08:17:41 AM »
Certainly up there with the best. I got home from work during the break between the 5th and 6th innings (Charlie or Dave said the early innings had clicked along fairly quickly) and stayed with it through the 13th and all the wild changes in the teams' fortunes... then during the 14th my meds kicked in (including most of the drowsier ones) and I missed the big finish...gotta get off these meds....

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #13: September 04, 2014, 08:28:07 AM »
If we're talking about the game on the field, it was one of the best given the back and forth drama in the late innings. I would put it up there with any games since since 2005.

My ranking:
1) 2005 first game at RFK (this will never be surpassed given what it represented)
2) 2008 Nats Park inaugural (DC truly felt like a big league city with its new park, and a storybook ending to boot)
3) Werth walk off in NLDS (the biggest fan hysteria I've ever seen at a baseball game)
4) Stras debut (surpassing the hype is not easy)

Offline Optics

« Reply #14: September 04, 2014, 11:03:37 AM »
Stras debut because I was there will always be #1  8)

....at least until Game 5 of the World Series this year  :D

Offline mdnatsfan

« Reply #15: September 04, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »
I think it was a top game. Heck, I didn't turn it on until 7 (about 10th inning) and got another 1.5 hours of baseball!!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #16: September 04, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »
I think it was a top game. Heck, I didn't turn it on until 7 (about 10th inning) and got another 1.5 hours of baseball!!

I took the dog to the dog park after the home run by Turner. Listened on the radio.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #17: September 04, 2014, 12:04:56 PM »
This season has had some great ones. The recent one against the Giants where we were down 5-0 and came back to win 14-6 was pretty awesome too... and just pick any walkoff win during the 10 game streak. as fans we are getting our moneys worth this season thats for sure.

As for quitting on games... I am guilty too. In the 8th inning I quit watching because I was sure it was over and I needed to start dinner. My hubby came in the kitchen shortly after to let me know about Laroches homer to tie it up.. I followed along as best I could while cooking then caught the last little bit.

Just curious... is there anyone here who can honestly say either at the park or on TV they have seen every inning of every game?????/

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
« Reply #18: September 04, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »
My ranking:
1) 2005 first game at RFK (this will never be surpassed given what it represented)
2) 2008 Nats Park inaugural (DC truly felt like a big league city with it's new park, and a storybook ending to boot)
3) Werth walk off in NLDS (the biggest fan hysteria I've ever seen at a baseball game)
4) Stras debut (surpassing the hype is not easy)

I'd put it up after Bil's ranking too. The top 4 listed above were all home games so many of us were able to attend some or all. There's nothing like being there to elevate a game into the all-time rankings. I'm glad to say I saw all 4 in person.
  As a game I watched on TV this is one of the tops for sure. Epic, marathon, back and forth duel between the BEST TEAMS (by record) in the NL. That really elevates it. Being at back-to-back 11th inning walk-off wins during the 10 game winning streak this year was super fun, those games will always go on my all time list.
 Favorite regular season away game? Sure!

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #19: September 04, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »
I'd put it up after Bil's ranking too. The top 4 listed above were all home games so many of us were able to attend some or all. There's nothing like being there to elevate a game into the all-time rankings. I'm glad to say I saw all 4 in person.
  As a game I watched on TV this is one of the tops for sure. Epic, marathon, back and forth duel between the BEST TEAMS (by record) in the NL. That really elevates it. Being at back-to-back 11th inning walk-off wins during the 10 game winning streak this year was super fun, those games will always go on my all time list.
 Favorite regular season away game? Sure!

Couldn't agree more re homes games and seeing them in person. I saw all my top four in person, btw.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #20: September 04, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
This is one of several matches they've played this season that as recently as a few years ago they would have lost abjectly, once the tide of the match started turning against them in the middle innings. The result, and the effort the Nats made in constantly trying to pull the match out (and ultimately succeeding in this case) testifies to a character at this ball club that has not existed in previous editions.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #21: September 04, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »
There is still a special place in my heart for the game when Wilson Ramos hit a three-run homerun bottom of the ninth with two outs, down by two, against the Mariners.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #22: September 04, 2014, 03:00:01 PM »
Werth walk off in NLDS (the biggest fan hysteria I've ever seen at a baseball game)

I don't know how anything could possibly surpass that moment, or that game...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #23: September 04, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »
I threw my phone in the air and never saw it again
I don't know how anything could possibly surpass that moment, or that game...

Offline blue911

« Reply #24: September 04, 2014, 03:02:41 PM »
There is still a special place in my heart for the game when Wilson Ramos hit a three-run homerun bottom of the ninth with two outs, down by two, against the Mariners.

Fister pitched 8 innings of 3 hit 1 run ball. Justin Smoak got doubled off third on a foul pop out to Ryan Zimmerman, then commited the error that opened the 9th inning flood gates.