Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158198 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #300: January 27, 2009, 06:46:37 AM »
Dave - the Dogfish now has their Red & White beer on tap.  It's a belgium style beer that's true to the Dogfish style - very robust with a sweet finish.

I had some of that DFH 120 Minute IPA. Gross.  It tasted like crappy central New York ice wine (not like I'm a connosieur or anything, just scarred from college).  Smells hoppy but tastes sweet. Almost like sparkling cider.  Did I get a bad batch?

« Reply #301: January 27, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »
This was in the Washington Post:

Health Benefit for Moderate Drinkers

You've heard about the health benefits of red wine, which is rich in antioxidants. Now there is even more good news for moderate drinkers: A recent study by researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles, found that healthy people age 50 and older who drink small-to-moderate amounts of alcohol appear less likely to suffer from age-related physical disabilities than people who don't drink.

The report, published in the most recent issue of the American Journal of Epidemiology, defines light-to-moderate drinking as less than 15 drinks per week with a daily maximum of five drinks for men and four for women. People over 50 who drink within these limits have about 25 percent lower chance of being unable to carry out daily activities such as walking, dressing, running errands or doing chores. The apparent health benefits of alcohol do not apply to binge drinkers or to people who are already in poor health.

--Lindsay Minnema, Health section

I'm going to start drinking Red Stripe with my OJ!

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #302: January 27, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »
Woo hoo--4 drinks a day!  That's a switch from the party line that women who have more than one drinkie belong in a 12-step program.  I guess there's still the issue of drinking your calories, though.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #303: January 27, 2009, 07:11:13 PM »
Dave - the Dogfish now has their Red & White beer on tap.  It's a belgium style beer that's true to the Dogfish style - very robust with a sweet finish.

i dont think i like sweet finishes since that is how tomterp described the 120

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #304: January 27, 2009, 10:41:49 PM »
i dont think i like sweet finishes since that is how tomterp described the 120

Don't confuse your beer with your women.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #305: January 27, 2009, 11:43:47 PM »
Don't confuse your beer with your women.

if that isnt as vulgar as i think it is, then i dont get it

« Reply #306: February 08, 2009, 08:21:20 PM »
Currently drinking a limited release porter called "Pipeline" from Kona Brewing Co. Their products have a sort of island/surfer theme to them. Pipeline has 100% Hawaiian Kona Coffee in it.

I was thinking this was going to be really watered down coffee water, but it actually has a strong coffee taste, dark coffee. Very interesting.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #307: February 08, 2009, 08:43:52 PM »
Currently drinking a limited release porter called "Pipeline" from Kona Brewing Co. Their products have a sort of island/surfer theme to them. Pipeline has 100% Hawaiian Kona Coffee in it.

I was thinking this was going to be really watered down coffee water, but it actually has a strong coffee taste, dark coffee. Very interesting.

There used to be one teamed up with Starbucks that is now back in limited release. Not sure if it's the Kona Pipeline.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #308: February 08, 2009, 09:03:46 PM »
I've tried the Pipeline as well.  It's fairly popular in stores on the outer banks.  Very coffee.  But I like some other porters or stoudts better.

« Reply #309: February 08, 2009, 09:05:09 PM »
I've tried the Pipeline as well.  It's fairly popular in stores on the outer banks.  Very coffee.  But I like some other porters or stoudts better.

I had one the other day called Lion Stout. Not too bitter, not too sweet, not too overpowering. Went down smooth as silk. A light coffee and chocolate taste.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #310: February 15, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »
Anyone else missing Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale since it got dropped from the Dominion Brewery line?  Lately I've been drinking the Early Spring Beer brew from Sierra Nevada, it's very good.

« Reply #311: February 15, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »
Over V-Day I got completely hooked on the stout version of this:

My beer palate must be coming along real well if I was able to pound these like crazy.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #312: February 15, 2009, 08:54:09 PM »
Anyone else missing Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale since it got dropped from the Dominion Brewery line?  Lately I've been drinking the Early Spring Beer brew from Sierra Nevada, it's very good.

Sierra Nevada is one of those labels that I can open the beer, drink it, and be confident it will be delicious.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #313: February 15, 2009, 09:30:02 PM »

Ouch. I haven't had it lately. I had attributed that to too much time in California and did not notice it had been dropped.  :rant: :rant: :-[ :-[

Rogue Ales Independence hop Ale just became a little more of a special occasion.

« Reply #314: February 15, 2009, 09:36:03 PM »
Sierra Nevada has this cider-like tang to it, especially in the aftertaste, that I just can't stomach. I can maybe have one or two before I need to move onto something else.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #315: February 15, 2009, 09:41:26 PM »
If you liked Tuppers but not Sierra Nevada I'd suggest trying Hop Devil if you haven't already.

On that note, I'm outta here to drink some brews and listen to Todd Snider live. :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #316: February 15, 2009, 10:17:43 PM »
Anyone else missing Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale since it got dropped from the Dominion Brewery line? 

With Anheiser Busch taking full control of Dominion, you can expect that the top Dominion beers will be migrated to mass production facilities of Busch, and the remaining cult beers (Hop Pocket, Millenium) will be discontinued.  Stock up now, cause the end of an era is near.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #317: February 15, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #318: February 16, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »
If you liked Tuppers but not Sierra Nevada I'd suggest trying Hop Devil if you haven't already.

(Image removed from quote.)

On that note, I'm outta here to drink some brews and listen to Todd Snider live. :)

Victory, Troegs, and Brooklyn are usually very safe bets.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #319: February 16, 2009, 10:52:32 AM »
The Tupper's are looking for a new brewery for their Hop Pocket Ale and Pilsner, as of now they're unavailable.  Dominion replaced the line with a Pale Ale that's nothing special.

I've been meaning to try the Brooklyn Ale and will have to check out the Victory IPA.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #320: February 17, 2009, 04:22:16 PM »
Highland Brewing out of Ashville, NC makes Kasmir IPA and it's becoming my favorite.  Total Wine is a good source. 

« Reply #321: February 17, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »
Highland Brewing out of Ashville, NC makes Kasmir IPA and it's becoming my favorite.  Total Wine is a good source. 

Highland Brewing products are popular where I am.

However, Wilmington doesn't have a Total Wine. I would kill for that place to come down here. Closest one is in Raleigh about two hours away. :(

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #322: February 17, 2009, 11:39:52 PM »
Been drinking Red Stripe lately.  Quality beer. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #323: March 04, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!