Author Topic: [SUSPENDED]Nationals vs Astros, Game 2  (Read 30524 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: [SUSPENDED]Nationals vs Astros, Game 2
« Reply #750: July 09, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »
Right but one would assume they have to sub for Dukes, right? Putting us a man down.
No, because essentially Morgan took Dukes spot on the roster anyway, so he filled the roster spot of Dukes.  Plus, Clippard, Bergman and Burnett weren't on the roster so there's a couple of extra arms available so in stead of a 24/25 man roster we're closer to a 28 man roster.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #751: July 09, 2009, 10:57:03 AM »
The game will pickup with Morgan replacing Dukes at 1B with one out and Willingham at the plate (I think that would place Hernandez on deck).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #752: July 09, 2009, 11:14:26 AM »
Is this going to be on XM?

Game picks up when?

i'd imagine it would be.  7pm is when play resumes.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #753: July 09, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »
Lineup at the time of the suspension:

Guzman, C, SS
Johnson, 1B
Zimmerman, R, 3B
Dunn, RF
  Kearns, RF
Dukes, CF
Willingham, LF
Hernandez, A, 2B
  Wells, P
  Hanrahan, P
Nieves, C
  b-Harris, PH
  Tavarez, J, P
  Mock, P
  Belliard, 2B
Olsen, P
  a-Cintron, PH
  Rivera, S, P
  c-Flores, PH-C

Actual lineup in play:

Guz - SS
NJ - 1B
Zim - 3B
Kearns - RF
Dukes (to be replaced with Morgan) - CF
Willingham - LF
Pitcher (PH Gonzalez)
Belliard - 2B
Bard for Flores to finish this one out

Is there anyone left on the bench for position players other than Gonzalez?  This is going to be the craziest lineup ever...I say Willingham just plug the gap and let Morgan run and be done with it.  Should have plenty of arms.

Pitchers: (Wow, 4 of these guys are no longer with the team)

Olsen
Rivera, S
Tavarez, J
Mock
Wells
Hanrahan

Burnett, Clip, Bergmann, Beimel, Villone, MacDougal are all available.  This might be a game where we could see Stammen PH should the need arise.  We'll essentially have a 33 man roster for this game.  Bizzare.  I have no idea how Houston's roster has changed since this game.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #754: July 09, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
If either team where anywhere near contention, could have paid off to option a bunch of guys before the game.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #755: July 09, 2009, 11:43:29 AM »
With Bard a little gimpy we need to win this one outright because we don't have a backup catcher for this one. If we score in the bottom of the 11th Hanrahan gets the win.  :lmao:

GMU dogged the crap out of me with his avatar selection. I'll never bet on the Nats again.  :hang:  The chick in my old avatar will be back though so in the meantime I request some of you to pick up the slack and keep her warm for me.  :lol:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #756: July 09, 2009, 11:45:18 AM »
GMU dogged the crap out of me with his avatar selection. I'll never bet on the Nats again.  :hang:  The chick in my old avatar will be back though so in the meantime I request some of you to pick up the slack and keep her warm for me.  :lol:
I was about to say, your new avatar looks good on you.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #757: July 09, 2009, 11:48:28 AM »
I was about to say, your new avatar looks good on you.

If asked to choose which avatar is better between my old one of the hot chick and the one of Kearns which one would AZ choose? He probably would be torn.  :lol:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #758: July 09, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »

If asked to choose which avatar is better between my old one of the hot chick and the one of Kearns which one would AZ choose? He probably would be torn.  :lol:
Maybe if you photoshopped Kearns' head onto some random dude's sixpack...

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #759: July 09, 2009, 12:04:19 PM »
At least he didn't give you a tagline

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #760: July 09, 2009, 12:10:03 PM »
If we score in the bottom of the 11th Hanrahan gets the win.  :lmao:

That would be hysterical.  And he could take it with him to arbitration against the Pirates.   :rofl:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #761: July 09, 2009, 12:10:27 PM »
That would be hysterical.  And he could take it with him to arbitration against the Pirates.   :rofl:

:worship: MINTY FTW :worship:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #762: July 09, 2009, 12:22:23 PM »
Right but one would assume they have to sub for Dukes, right? Putting us a man down.

each team has to name replacement players for anyone who is not on the 25 man roster today (as opposed to when the game was continued).  Makes sense I guess.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #763: July 09, 2009, 12:24:55 PM »
MLB Gameday hasn't been updated with new info yet. Either that, or Logan Kensing is available to pitch.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #764: July 09, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »
It would be so Nats-like to lose this game even though we have the advantage.

It was terrible the first time we blew it anyways. We had the game in the bag but I believe we choked it away in the middle innings before it started raining heavily.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #765: July 09, 2009, 12:27:23 PM »
Pitchers: (Wow, 4 of these guys are no longer with the team)

Olsen
Rivera, S
Tavarez, J
Mock
Wells
Hanrahan

Burnett, Clip, Bergmann, Beimel, Villone, MacDougal are all available.  This might be a game where we could see Stammen PH should the need arise.  We'll essentially have a 33 man roster for this game.  Bizzare.  I have no idea how Houston's roster has changed since this game.
[/quote]

Taverez, Wells, Mock and Hanrahan have already appeared in the game, so the Nats must designate 4 players from today's 25 man roster to "replace" them.  I don't think they need to be pitchers, but probably will be.  However, that  means 4 of your 6 "available" pitchers are not going to be available, I think.  (but not sure)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #766: July 09, 2009, 12:31:34 PM »
Taverez, Wells, Mock and Hanrahan have already appeared in the game, so the Nats must designate 4 players from today's 25 man roster to "replace" them.  I don't think they need to be pitchers, but probably will be.  However, that  means 4 of your 6 "available" pitchers are not going to be available, I think.  (but not sure)
I don't believe that's accurate, I thought it was reported that if they were added to the roster since this game, they were thence eligable to participate in this game.  I could be wrong too.  It's got potential to be an entertaining evening, if nothing else.

Offline blue911

« Reply #767: July 09, 2009, 12:32:31 PM »
However, that  means 4 of your 6 "available" pitchers are not going to be available, I think.  (but not sure)

I've seen our bullpen, so that may not be a bad thing.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #768: July 09, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »
Per Jason Grodsky, Astros beat writer for MLB.com:

All position players and pitchers who were used and removed from the game on May 5 won't be eligible to play. That means no Carlos Lee, Jason Michaels, Roy Oswalt, Chris Sampson or Tim Byrdak.

Players who are currently on the roster, but were not when the game was originally suspended, will be eligible to play, and players who were in the lineup but aren't currently on the active roster will have to be replaced in the same position and batting order. The Nationals will have to use a pinch-runner for Elijah Dukes, who was on first when the game was postponed but is no longer with the Washington organization.

It's not really clear how we must replace players who were in the lineup (the 4 pitchers) but were replaced during the game.  It makes no sense to me that the Nats could be permited to run up to 6 more relievers out there, that would mean our roster for the game is 30 deep or so. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #769: July 09, 2009, 01:56:32 PM »
It's not really clear how we must replace players who were in the lineup (the 4 pitchers) but were replaced during the game.  It makes no sense to me that the Nats could be permited to run up to 6 more relievers out there, that would mean our roster for the game is 30 deep or so. 

Think of the other extreme.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #770: July 09, 2009, 01:58:15 PM »
Per Jason Grodsky, Astros beat writer for MLB.com:

So I was right that we are down a man due to the Beast :lol:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #771: July 09, 2009, 02:16:52 PM »
So I was right that we are down a man due to the Beast :lol:
Ummm...no.  From the Houston Chronicle:

Picking back up
Before beginning tonight’s regularly scheduled game against the Washington Nationals, the Astros will complete a suspended game that began May 5 at Nationals Park.

The suspended game, which was stopped because of rain , will begin at 6:05 p.m. with the score tied at 10, a Nationals player on first and one out in the bottom of the 11th.

LaTroy Hawkins, who was on the mound when the game was suspended, will be on the hill when it resumes.

Roy Oswalt, Chris Sampson, Tim Byrdak, Carlos Lee and Jason Michaels cannot participate for the Astros because they were already used and taken out in the game. But all the Astros who weren’t used on May 5 or weren’t on the active roster at the time are eligible to play, which means Jose Valverde, Matt Kata, Alberto Arias and Humberto Quintero can participate even though they weren’t with the club in Washington.

Former Nationals righthander Joel Hanrahan, who was just in town with the Pittsburgh Pirates, stands to be the winner if the Astros give up a run in the bottom of the 11th. He pitched the top of the 11th for Washington on May 5.

“ It is kind of weird picking up a game,” Hawkins said. “Then it’s a home game for them. That would be weird, very weird, weirder than playing a home game in Milwaukee (as the Astros did twice against the Cubs last September) for them to be at our place to get a walk-off (victory). ”

Conversely, the suspended game could result in the first non-walk-off victory by the Astros in extra innings at Minute Maid Park.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #772: July 09, 2009, 02:18:27 PM »
So many confusing takes on it - just start the game already :rofl:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #773: July 09, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »
So many confusing takes on it - just start the game already :rofl:
this...

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #774: July 09, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »
When is this game going to be played? And will it even have a audience or is just the last few innings in front of no crowd since it was a home game for us and not them