Author Topic: Salary negotiation  (Read 1494 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Salary negotiation
« Reply #25: February 11, 2012, 08:46:36 AM »
he'd buy a leftover boat - too slow for the job - and patrol it. Because that's all he could afford.
:crackup:

Of course.  If he was Army he'd go around.  Air Force, over.  Navy, across. Coast Guard?   :shrug:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #26: February 12, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »
They emailed me today (on Sunday!?!) asking for a writing sample

Uh ... :shrug: On what? Just asked for a writing sample ...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #27: February 12, 2012, 09:45:13 PM »
They emailed me today (on Sunday!?!) asking for a writing sample

Uh ... :shrug: On what? Just asked for a writing sample ...

That's great news - they haven't withdrawn from their interest in you.  Now why would they want a handwriting sample?  No idea.  I've never heard of doing a handwriting analysis for a job before. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #28: February 12, 2012, 09:47:28 PM »
That's great news - they haven't withdrawn from their interest in you.  Now why would they want a handwriting sample?  No idea.  I've never heard of doing a handwriting analysis for a job before. 

:nono:

He should just ask them exactly what they're looking for.  At one job they asked for a peer reviewed paper others have asked for technical analysis and others project plans.  The only way to know is to ask.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: February 13, 2012, 08:05:25 AM »
By writing sample, do they mean something handwritten so they can put it through some screen / oiuja board, or do they mean a document you have written so they can see how you think and express yourself?  tom takes it one way, MDS the other.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #30: February 13, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »
tom takes it one way, MDS the other.

I'm guessing it's an actual business writing sample, though I could be wrong (anyone remember the basketball request?).

Offline Slateman

« Reply #31: February 13, 2012, 08:19:06 AM »
No impact, no idea. I emailed them back asking if they wanted anything in particular. No response.

I'm convinced that that particular email was sent out Friday evening and got lost somewhere in the interwebs until Sunday afternoon.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #32: February 13, 2012, 08:28:12 AM »
:nono:

He should just ask them exactly what they're looking for.  At one job they asked for a peer reviewed paper others have asked for technical analysis and others project plans.  The only way to know is to ask.

A guy who applied to work with us one time used documentation that he took when he worked on the contract previously, I'm not sure of the exact details but he didn't get the job for that reason.  I'd tell them that writing from previous employment is not owned by you and therefore not something that you are free to pass on.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #33: February 13, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »
A guy who applied to work with us one time used documentation that he took when he worked on the contract previously, I'm not sure of the exact details but he didn't get the job for that reason.  I'd tell them that writing from previous employment is not owned by you and therefore not something that you are free to pass on.

Great advice.  When I was doing my last job search I actually had to create dummy sample documentation because all of my work was protected IP.  Make sure anything you provide is either declassified (obviously don't use DOD related work) or something you created outside of your current and/or former employers work.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #34: February 13, 2012, 08:32:02 AM »
Which would be an issue from my end if they want something from previous work. Its either all classified or I simply don't have it.

Oh well, I'll just write something tonight. Worked in college :D

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #35: February 13, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
Oh well, I'll just write something tonight. Worked in college :D

Be glad it's nothing more than a writing sample.

Offline blue911

« Reply #36: February 13, 2012, 08:37:58 AM »
Does tagging count?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #37: February 13, 2012, 08:38:13 AM »
Agreed. Thats about all I could do, to be honest. Unless they wanted an example of one of my excel spreadsheets. But that would be .... interesting. I'm not sure if they would be impressed or genuinely scared of the training that was done.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #38: February 14, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »
So they called back with an offer.

HR woman thinks she can go as high as $ The max for the position is slightly higher (by about 5%). This sounds good to me ...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #39: February 14, 2012, 11:42:30 AM »

Take it!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #40: February 14, 2012, 11:43:21 AM »
Chief - please move this to the good news thread

HR woman thinks she can go as high as sex 7 times a day. The max for the position is sex 8 times a day. This sounds good to me ...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #41: February 14, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »
Eh ... nothing official yet. However, I would like to say thanks to all that gave advice and help.

Steven, just left you a message.  Moving forward on an offer for you for $.  Call me if you have any questions – I have a meeting until 1:30 but flexible after until 4:00.  Thanks!  pb