Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84646 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #600: August 27, 2012, 08:36:57 PM »
Going to Senators Squirrels tonight, right behind Harrisburg's dug out.  If I get a chance tomorrow I will give you guys my - hasn't played baseball since high school, is not a professional baseball man in any way, does not know what he is talking about, just a dude sitting in the stands - scoutting report on Rendon, Goodwin, etc.

That'll put you one up on quite a few of the other minor league evaluators around here.    :crackup:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #601: August 27, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »
The new CBA allows for two players from low A,two from high A and three from AA and above.
New CBA giveth ...

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #602: August 28, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »
I KNOW 6'0, AND YOU SIR ARE NO 6'0

In attendence last night, with the chance to see him standing next to guys listed as 6'1, 5'11, etc. He was the smallest of all of them. Clearly. This makes me worry about hiding his ankles at 1B. Yeah, yeah, spare me the Prince Fielder et al speach, that's a different case. You need someone with a wider wingspan than Rendon has to play 1B. I don't know if it started at Rice, and since then everyone has just gone along with it, but the programs really need to knock this off. I know guys sometimes get an inch or two of fibbing -  ;) - but he is 5'10" tops.

He looked pretty smooth fielding 3B, had an errant throw where Bloxom picked him up, but that's not uncommon. Ran pretty well scoring from second on a bloop single. Very selective at the plate, once it helped as he drew a 4 pitch walk that started a 4 run inning, and once it was to his detriment as he got behind 0-2 on two called strikes that were pitches he could have squared up (didn't really hit the ball hard all night, but we know he can so that's not a big deal). Looked like fastballs to me, and they were no where near the umps worst calls of the night.

Offline Ace_1106

« Reply #603: August 28, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »
I KNOW 6'0, AND YOU SIR ARE NO 6'0

In attendence last night, with the chance to see him standing next to guys listed as 6'1, 5'11, etc. He was the smallest of all of them. Clearly. This makes me worry about hiding his ankles at 1B. Yeah, yeah, spare me the Prince Fielder et al speach, that's a different case. You need someone with a wider wingspan than Rendon has to play 1B. I don't know if it started at Rice, and since then everyone has just gone along with it, but the programs really need to knock this off. I know guys sometimes get an inch or two of fibbing -  ;) - but he is 5'10" tops.

He looked pretty smooth fielding 3B, had an errant throw where Bloxom picked him up, but that's not uncommon. Ran pretty well scoring from second on a bloop single. Very selective at the plate, once it helped as he drew a 4 pitch walk that started a 4 run inning, and once it was to his detriment as he got behind 0-2 on two called strikes that were pitches he could have squared up (didn't really hit the ball hard all night, but we know he can so that's not a big deal). Looked like fastballs to me, and they were no where near the umps worst calls of the night.

Lol, he's a legit 6'0 trust me. Good report and good call on his pitch selection, that has been a common theme throughout his playing days. He seems to get behind the count quite a bit but it's almost like he prefers it that way.

Offline Clever

« Reply #604: August 28, 2012, 04:11:47 PM »
Seems a bit like another Ryan Zimmerman.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #605: August 28, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
yup, he even has the injury bug!

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #606: August 28, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »
but does he have the GIDP bug too?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #607: August 28, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »

hey at least we don't have pudge anymore.  that man was as close to a gauranteed dp as you can get

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #608: August 29, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »
0-3 with a walk tonight

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #609: September 02, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »
Saw the Senators. Will write my impressions of the prospects in each thread.

Rendon was at DH for the first game of a doubleheader. He walked twice, reached on an error by the third-baseman, and struck out. Only serious contact was a long foul ball to right...he's a right-handed hitter. He is no where near hitting major-league pitching. The Bowie pitcher seemed to overpower Rendon with 89 mph pitches (from my view, right behind the visitors' dugout, couldn't see if the pitches were breaking.)

He runs hard. Doesn't seem to worry about the ankle. He's not fast, but he is serious.

One odd thing about Rendon's hitting: he rocks back and forth, front foot / back foot, constantly as we waits for the pitch. His arms are held rigid, right elbow flatly horizontal, but his torso and legs are always moving. Corey Brown does that, also. I don't know what hitting theory teaches this method, but it looks strange.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #610: September 02, 2012, 12:54:10 PM »
Good report. He did hit a HR in the second game of the doubleheader yesterday.

Still, his overall numbers in AA are underwhelming though I guess that's to be expected. .141/.286/.313 in 64 ABs. 11 BBs/16 Ks is pretty decent though.

Offline Ace_1106

« Reply #611: September 02, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »
Very good scouting report done on Anthony yesterday. I know some of you question his ability to play 2nd and SS but I've always been a believer that he could.

http://baseballnewshound.com/?p=3401

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #612: September 03, 2012, 12:49:18 AM »
Very good scouting report done on Anthony yesterday. I know some of you question his ability to play 2nd and SS but I've always been a believer that he could.

http://baseballnewshound.com/?p=3401

Very interesting read.  The conclusion was Rendon at first base by next summer... which I don't like the idea of, but eh.  If that makes for the best lineup, ok, but he'll have trouble with Zim's lollipops.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #613: September 03, 2012, 02:05:49 AM »
Very interesting read.  The conclusion was Rendon at first base by next summer... which I don't like the idea of, but eh.  If that makes for the best lineup, ok, but he'll have trouble with Zim's lollipops.

Then put Zim at first. Because, honestly, I'm really getting tired of Zimmerman's inability to make a routine throw.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #614: September 03, 2012, 09:19:34 AM »
Zimm just needs to get rid of the ball. When he stops and thinks, he occasionally uncorks one.

Then put Zim at first. Because, honestly, I'm really getting tired of Zimmerman's inability to make a routine throw.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #615: September 03, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »

tired of you posting 8)

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #616: September 03, 2012, 10:53:13 AM »
Zimm just needs to get rid of the ball. When he stops and thinks, he occasionally uncorks one.

He's a professional athlete, it's amazing he hasn't figured that out by now if it's the solution.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #617: September 03, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »
2-3 with a bomb today

Offline Slateman

« Reply #618: September 03, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »
He's a professional athlete, it's amazing he hasn't figured that out by now if it's the solution.

I think it's partly due to various injuries and partly in his head.

2-3 with a bomb today

Very nice

Offline Sharp

« Reply #619: September 04, 2012, 12:28:25 AM »
Doesn't Pujols have tons of GIDPs?  I wouldn't worry too much about GIDPs by themselves.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #620: September 04, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »
Doesn't Pujols have tons of GIDPs?  I wouldn't worry too much about GIDPs by themselves.

Miguel Cabrera leads baseball, I think. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #621: September 04, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Yep. He' puts up Miggy's numbers, he can GIDPs all he wants. He and Zim can have a contest :lol:

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #622: September 04, 2012, 09:44:31 AM »

Top 2 all-time in GIDP is Cal and Pudge.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #623: September 10, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »

BP - Monday Morning Ten Pack

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=18292

Anthony Rendon, 3B, Nationals (Double-A Harrisburg)
 It’s funny how much can change in a short amount of time. It wasn’t long ago that Anthony Rendon was considered a safe bet to be 1:1 in the draft, and a no doubt future first-division talent. Thanks to ankles made of glass and particleboard, Rendon’s ascent to his projection has been delayed, suppressed, and basically forgotten. Making his professional debut in 2012, Rendon helped remind people of his existence, but injuries once again limited his progress, and after only 43 games across four levels, Rendon is still a man hiding behind a forgotten myth. The good news is that the scouts still salivate over his swing, and when I saw him in short-season ball I saw a major league quality hitter playing against children. He needs to stay healthy and he needs to get at-bats, but the swing is still sexy and the future still looks promising.—Jason Parks

Offline Slateman

« Reply #624: September 10, 2012, 01:02:25 PM »
He's going to the AFL, right?