Author Topic: The Mens Wear Thread  (Read 14974 times)

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
Re: The Mens Wear Thread
« Reply #200: July 06, 2012, 05:44:19 PM »
I have as-seen-on-tv HD vision sunglasses :lol:

Those and that ear bud hearing booster you can get for ten bucks and you'd be like the bionic man.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #201: July 06, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »
Those and that ear bud hearing booster you can get for ten bucks and you'd be like the bionic man.

Then I could eavesdrop on people commenting on how hot they think I am AND check them out without them seeing me behind my sunglasses!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #202: July 06, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
I just use my fishing sunglasses for everything.

Native Dash XP

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #203: July 06, 2012, 06:23:23 PM »
I have almost that exact pair of Flak jackets you posted.  Love them.  Need some new lenses though...  Anyway, I'd recommend them.  Wear them all the time.  Driving, softball, mowing the lawn.  Pretty much anytime I'm outside, I'm wearing them.  Does pretty well with debris, though occasionally I'll get a rogue blade of grass that slips in...

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #204: July 06, 2012, 06:41:25 PM »
I rock these, aaaawwww yeah...

I do need to look into getting a decent pair of sunglasses though, the cheapies I have are scratched to hell from just getting thrown in my lunch bag when I get to work.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #205: July 10, 2012, 09:55:46 AM »
How well do they do at deflecting debris?  Now that I'm getting stronger I'm starting to average 20mph and I'd rather not have bugs, rocks, and other detritus fly into my eye balls and contacts.

Sorry I took so long to reply. Haven't had any debris issues with the Flak Jacket XLJ.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #206: July 10, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »
I have the Oakley Radars and use them for coaching, bike riding (been a while), etc. They wrap around and protect the eyes. They are bigger than the Flak Jacket I believe, and fit my melon head a bit better.

http://www.oakley.com/custom/radar/

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #207: July 10, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
Thanks guys, i think I'm going to go with the Flak Jackets for right now. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #208: July 13, 2012, 10:18:54 AM »
This is going to sound weird, but is there a way for the shoulders of a suit jacket to be less ... poofy? Sometimes I feel like I'm wearing a woman's blouse from the 80s ....

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #209: July 13, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
Buy a suit jacket that fits. It shouldn't look like football shoulder pads. It's tricky to find a really good shoulder fit sometimes -- look at multiple stores and take your time. Generally the shoulder fit is the most important part of a suit because tailors can fix other imperfections.

Some suites have more structured shoulders than others. I had a sport coat I loved recently but the shoulders had a little dimple in them that ruined the look. It was because the jacket was designed for more squared shoulders while my shoulders slope downward (most shoulders do).

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #210: July 13, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »
Wait, what do you mean by "poofy"? I've never seen a poofy suit jacket shoulder.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #211: July 13, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »
Cheaper suits often have poofy shoulder pads.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #212: July 13, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
This is going to sound weird, but is there a way for the shoulders of a suit jacket to be less ... poofy? Sometimes I feel like I'm wearing a woman's blouse from the 80s ....

:money: :money: more seriously sign up for Brooke's Brother's e-mail list- their suits are great and often go on huge sales, you can also try their outlet at potomac mills

Online Slateman

« Reply #213: July 13, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »
:money: :money: more seriously sign up for Brooke's Brother's e-mail list- their suits are great and often go on huge sales, you can also try their outlet at potomac mills

That's probably what it is. My suit is from Jos A Banks.

I can't afford Brooks Brothers :(

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #214: July 13, 2012, 11:00:28 AM »

I picked up a nice sports coat off Ebay recently. I'm starting to stop into thrift stores and stuff as well. You can find some real deals.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #215: July 13, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »
If you're a normal sized guy you can usually get super deals on Brooks Brothers stuff at their stores or online with coupons and sales codes.  Other than the health benefits and not living a life of misery, one of my main objections of weight loss is to get to a size where I can walk into any store and buy a super swanky suit off the rack.  The last time I did that I bought a super deeeeeep discount Armani size 48 double long that's probably dry rotting somewhere in storage.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #216: July 13, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »

day after Christmas they go ~40% off- I have friends who go every few years, you can also try outlet. If you can get into DC, try the mens wearhouse on M street- I know people who make a lot of money, but still swear by the tailors there

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #217: July 13, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
If you're a normal sized guy you can usually get super deals on Brooks Brothers stuff at their stores or online with coupons and sales codes. Other than the health benefits and not living a life of misery, one of my main objections of weight loss is to get to a size where I can walk into any store and buy a super swanky suit off the rack.  The last time I did that I bought a super deeeeeep discount Armani size 48 double long that's probably dry rotting somewhere in storage.

Amen to that. I can't wait to be able to buy nice clothes off the rack as opposed to having to order them or go to the fat man store.

Online Slateman

« Reply #218: July 13, 2012, 11:57:34 AM »
Eh, I have long arms. It's difficult to find a 36 inch sleeve in something under 18 inches of neck ...

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #219: July 13, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »
Eh, I have long arms. It's difficult to find a 36 inch sleeve in something under 18 inches of neck ...

I have wide shoulders and a somewhat longer torso. I always have problems getting shirts that are long enough to tuck in with out having them making me look even bigger. My dad works for a uniform company and he told me he once had to get shirts for a guy with a 38" sleeve!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #220: July 13, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »
Amen to that. I can't wait to be able to buy nice clothes off the rack as opposed to having to order them or go to the fat man store.

The problem with the Big and Tall stores is that the clothes are often piss poor quality and the fits are less than consistent between brands.  If I'm going to pay $70 for a shirt, it better fit great and last a long time.

Try finding a 39-40 or 40-42...

Offline saltydad

« Reply #221: July 13, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »
I'm also a 36-37 sleeve, 18 neck, but have a long torso and a 44 waist. Hence the need for Big and tall sizes.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #222: July 13, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
The problem with the Big and Tall stores is that the clothes are often piss poor quality and the fits are less than consistent between brands.  If I'm going to pay $70 for a shirt, it better fit great and last a long time.

Try finding a 39-40 or 40-42...

39-40? And I thought my folks swung me around by the arms too much!

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #223: July 13, 2012, 03:49:51 PM »

I believe Brooks Brothers also have an outlet in Leesburg. Depending on the I-95 traffic that might be the easier one to get to, especially if you don't mind paying the Greenway toll (which, to be sure, is not an inexpensive toll).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #224: July 13, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »
jos a banks buy 1 get 6 free sale this weekend - buy 1 suit, get 2 suits, 2 shirts, 2 ties.  I took advantage of this deal about a year or so ago, with alterations/tax and an extra tie that i really liked I spent about a grand.