Author Topic: Running thread..  (Read 16104 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Running thread..
« Reply #125: November 14, 2011, 03:08:58 PM »
I'm considering these from REI.

Have been plagued to varying degrees with plantar fasciitus since my 81 mile+ backpacking expedition to N.M. this past summer, and thinking that the barefoot style might be a remedy.

Anyone else tried them?  They get rave reviews from those who have tried them.

Vibram fivefingers bikila running shoes.

http://www.rei.com/product/811206/vibram-fivefingers-bikila-ls-running-shoes-mens

Online blue911

« Reply #126: November 14, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
If they have 5 fingers, wouldn't they be gloves?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #127: November 14, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »

:shrug:

One would think.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #128: November 14, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »

I love my KSOs. I don't run for distance but have taken them hiking, rock climbing, general around and about use, golf, eliptical, etc. and I love them. If you read back in the thread, there was quite a bit of discussion about the topic as well as some recommendations outside of the Vibrams.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #129: November 14, 2011, 05:19:39 PM »

Ya kill me blue ... :)   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #130: November 14, 2011, 05:20:03 PM »

Have been plagued to varying degrees with plantar fasciitus since my 81 mile+ backpacking expedition to N.M. this past summer, and thinking that the barefoot style might be a remedy.

http://www.rei.com/product/811206/vibram-fivefingers-bikila-ls-running-shoes-mens

(Image removed from quote.)

I run year around outdoors.    Are there sox?    Is it functional on asphalt?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #131: November 14, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »
I run year around outdoors.    Are there sox?    Is it functional on asphalt?

They make the socks for them.  I was reading reviews and they're really popular with soldiers in Afghanistan, for multi training.  Military requires socks be worn for all shoes.

Yeah, I would probably be running a bit on asphalt too, it would seem to be jolting but again the whole point is about running light on your feet and landing on the ball instead of heel, which is a much softer landing.

Here's I think the one Obed was referring to - it's got a bit of a thicker sole I think to allow for trail running vs pure road action.

http://www.rei.com/product/798240/vibram-fivefingers-kso-multisport-shoes-mens

Offline heeman82

« Reply #132: November 14, 2011, 08:04:55 PM »
Got the iPhone this weekend.  The "RunKeeper" app rocks!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #133: November 14, 2011, 08:06:49 PM »
Got the iPhone this weekend.  The "RunKeeper" app rocks!

try imapmyrun- free and gives you a bunch of feedback

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #134: November 14, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »
I could never figure out why they don't call them five-toes. :(

So I just got my Vivobarefoot Neos, and they are awesome. I was gonna run in them tonight, but it was so warm that I figured I'd get another unshod barefoot outing in - probably my last completely barefoot five miles of the season - so tomorrow, maybe.

The Vivobarefoot Neo shoes are completely flat bottomed, but don't look as strange as the Vibram FFs. If you wanted something more conventional, check them out. They truly are like soft cloth slippers with a puncture resistant rubber bottom. I got the solid black ones and they look pretty darn normal.

The only negative thing I have ever read about Bikilas is that they are a pain in the ass to get into, and they stink after a couple of wearings. And I'm not confident enough to pull that look off.

But I'm sure they'll look great on you. ;)

If you ever want to go for a short run to get the hang of the barefoot stride, I'm up for it. In any event, GO SLOW.

Oh. START SLOW. If you wanted to do a SHORT run some time to get a sense for barefooting, I'm around. And I'm chubby and slow, so...

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #135: November 14, 2011, 11:15:47 PM »
Just remember to start out slow by walking 1st.  Wear the only a couple hours a day.  You will get injured if just go out and run with them.  You work muscles you havent worked before because traditional shoes kind of shield your foot.  This advice comes from my PT and a colleague who wears those type of sneakers and is a marathon runner!

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #136: November 17, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »
Just finished Week 3 Day 2 of the Couch to 5K program. I haven't dropped dead yet. Doing a loop that's a shade over 2 miles now...

Not wearing funny five-toed shoes. Running in a pair of Brooks that I grabbed from DSW.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #137: November 17, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »
Yeah, well after your tired of the sore knees and shin splints from your stability shoes, lose the high heels and try a real pair of kicks.  ;)

Note: What you run in is up to you. I'm just kidding.

Just finished Week 3 Day 2 of the Couch to 5K program. I haven't dropped dead yet. Doing a loop that's a shade over 2 miles now...

Not wearing funny five-toed shoes. Running in a pair of Brooks that I grabbed from DSW.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #138: November 20, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »
Pretty pumped for a four day weekend coming up. Should be able to get two or three runs in. :)

Hey, if you listen to music when you run, what kind of music do you listen to?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #139: November 20, 2011, 11:37:37 AM »
podcasts all the way for me- makes time go faster than listening to music and knowing each song is only ~4-5 minutes

Offline mitlen

« Reply #140: November 20, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »
Pretty pumped for a four day weekend coming up. Should be able to get two or three runs in. :)

podcasts all the way for me- makes time go faster than listening to music and knowing each song is only ~4-5 minutes

When I'm on the treadmill, I listen to music.   For me, a treadmill run is mindnumbing.   The music makes that time pass.   When I run the streets, I don't take music.   I like to know what's going on around me.   I like to look at the sky as well.   Take in the change in the leaves, etc.   I find the music distracts me.   Guess I don't multitask very well.   :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #141: November 20, 2011, 12:48:06 PM »
This is me, too. I like to take in what's going on around me.

When I'm on the treadmill, I listen to music.   For me, a treadmill run is mindnumbing.   The music makes that time pass.   When I run the streets, I don't take music.   I like to know what's going on around me.   I like to look at the sky as well.   Take in the change in the leaves, etc.   I find the music distracts me.   Guess I don't multitask very well.   :)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #142: November 20, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »

I ran with Reckless Kelly today and the Mighty Bosstones last run.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #143: November 20, 2011, 04:35:20 PM »
Mighty Bosstones. That'd work.

I ran with Reckless Kelly today and the Mighty Bosstones last run.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #144: November 21, 2011, 07:31:07 AM »
Yeah, well after your tired of the sore knees and shin splints from your stability shoes, lose the high heels and try a real pair of kicks.  ;)

Note: What you run in is up to you. I'm just kidding.

What brand of shoes are those? Spent last night waking up every time I moved my left knee. I may have to rethink my discount shoe store strategy.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #145: November 21, 2011, 09:03:09 AM »
Those are Vivobarefoot EVOs. They have zero heel lift and no cushioning. 

There is evidence that moving to a barefoot style will preserve your joints indefinitely, because it's the way humans are built to run (forefoot landing), and cultures that run barefoot run into their old age. I can run five miles with zero joint/back pain, which I could never have done in traditional shoes. But it's a l-o-n-g transition to barefoot style - it took me months to be able to run two miles. It's tough on the soft tissue in the calf and the foot, and it's easy to injure your foot by doing too much too soon (on the barefoot running forums, TMTS is a meme). Traditional running shoes pretty much immobilize your foot and weaken the muscles dramatically. It takes a long time to come back.

This is an excellent video by Lee Saxby that explains the whole thing pretty well.

/http://vimeo.com/19520448

I like my Vivos way better than traditional shoes, but I don't like them near as much as I like barefoot. I don't want to get all mystical and wierd - I'm really not a hippy -  but there's something about running barefoot ...that is immediately lost when you put on shoes.

In the Spring I'll be getting a pair of ZEMs so I can put them on for protection when needed, and take them off whenever possible. These fit in a pocket easily.

What brand of shoes are those? Spent last night waking up every time I moved my left knee. I may have to rethink my discount shoe store strategy.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #146: December 13, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »
So a week ago I'm running along in my typical night-time running bliss state and BAM... I pull a calf muscle so bad I could barely walk the mile home.

Still hurts like hell. Maybe it's a tear. Damnit. Can't run. Very pissed about it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #147: December 13, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »
So a week ago I'm running along in my typical night-time running bliss state and BAM... I pull a calf muscle so bad I could barely walk the mile home.

Still hurts like hell. Maybe it's a tear. Damnit. Can't run. Very pissed about it.

I fell and broke a rib one morning at oh dark thirty.     As you mention though, not running hurts more than the muscle/bone.    You didn't miss anything weather wise.   It was cold as crap at  3 AM this morning.    The hair in my nose froze.   :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #148: January 02, 2012, 12:15:25 PM »
Just saw a commercial on TV from Greenberg and Bederman (lawyers) and they're starting a class action suit against the makers of toning shoes.   They say if you suffered muscle or bone problems  ...   or lost your balance while using the shoes  ...  give 'em a call.   Make the poor lawyers a few bucks.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #149: January 02, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »
Just saw a commercial on TV from Greenberg and Bederman (lawyers) and they're starting a class action suit against the makers of toning shoes.   They say if you suffered muscle or bone problems  ...   or lost your balance while using the shoes  ...  give 'em a call.   Make the poor lawyers a few bucks.

If you go to the fcc's website, you can get $50 from reebok if you bought their toners