Author Topic: LIVAN HERNANDEZ OUT FOR SEASON?????  (Read 6857 times)

Diehard_Nationals_Fan

LIVAN HERNANDEZ OUT FOR SEASON?????
« Topic Start: July 20, 2005, 10:54:39 PM »
Interview on comcast sportsnet with Hernandez talking about something wrong with his knee and he needs surgery....He says its HIS decision... and the surgery could end his season.  more later as I find out.. if anyone finds out anything more... post it here..

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #1: July 20, 2005, 11:15:24 PM »
Livan and the Nats are aware of Hernandez's knee problem. The surgery would fix it easy enough, but he would be out the rest of the season if he was to have it now. If its effecting his game, or if the Nats fall out of the race, he'll have it. But I think as long as he can pitch to his satisfaction and the Nats stay in the race, he will tough it out.

If his knees gets worse, he wont have a choice and the Nats will have their umpteenth player go onto the DL. The way things have been going for the Nats this season with the injuries, you breathe a sigh of relief every day no one new goes on the DL.

I don't think in the history of Baseball, a team has been this unlucky when it comes to injuries.

Diehard_Nationals_Fan

« Reply #2: July 20, 2005, 11:21:02 PM »
In the interview he was acting like he IS going to have the surgery, and he kept saying it was " my decision".. repeatedly.  So what I got from his interview is that hes probably going to have the surgery done soon.  

HOpefully there will be clarifying articles about this tomorrow.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #3: July 20, 2005, 11:36:22 PM »
Well, at least he won't be able to plunk anymore #7 hitters when he has two strikes on them, and then give a game losing homerun to the #8 hitter.  Face it, the Rockies hit him hard all night but he was helped by some solid defense and balls hit right at people.  He hasn't seemed right for awhile.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #4: July 20, 2005, 11:53:38 PM »
Livan is PISSED.

that is why he is contemplating having the surgery and ending his season.

nobody knows WHY he is pissed, but he is.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #5: July 21, 2005, 12:01:58 AM »
I will be very disappointed if it is over Cordero being released.  Clubhouse seems to be very fragile right now.

Hayden

« Reply #6: July 21, 2005, 12:14:33 AM »
I really hope this has nothing to do with Cordero being designated for assignment. I know Cordero was a big man in the clubhouse, but you can't quit on your team just because one guy was released. That is just part of professional sports these days.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #7: July 21, 2005, 12:27:39 AM »
Looks like the team chemistry is out the window now that they have dropped two against Colorado and on the verge of losing first place.   :roll:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #8: July 21, 2005, 12:32:42 AM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
Looks like the team chemistry is out the window now that they have dropped two against Colorado and on the verge of losing first place.   :roll:

If true, I suspect the collapsing chemistry has more to do with the losses than vice versa.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #9: July 21, 2005, 12:38:31 AM »
If Livan goes...our season goes.  It's that simple.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #10: July 21, 2005, 12:43:22 AM »
If Livan goes...our season goes.  It's that simple.

I'm not sure I'd stretch it that far...

Offline JMW IV

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #12: July 21, 2005, 12:46:55 AM »
He's one of the top leaders in the league in WINS...and his biggest asset: he GOBBLES-up innings like a vacumn cleaner.  If he's done, I hope our bullpen can be prepared for ALOT more playing time.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #13: July 21, 2005, 12:54:21 AM »
He's one of the top leaders in the league in WINS...and his biggest asset: he GOBBLES-up innings like a vacumn cleaner.  If he'd done, I hope our bullpen can be prepared for ALOT more playing time.

I'm not saying the loss wouldn't hurt.  I guess what I'm saying is that if we continue to play the way we've been playing, it won't matter whether we have him or not.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #14: July 21, 2005, 01:02:53 AM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
Livan is PISSED.

that is why he is contemplating having the surgery and ending his season.

nobody knows WHY he is pissed, but he is.

Are you kidding???? the way his team has stopped playing these past two weeks is reason enough for anyone to be pissed. I don't blame him a bit. He sending a message, if you want to quit and give up, I'll show you what quiting and giving up really mean... I think he's saying it and tomorrow he'll do a I'm gonna wait and see thing and if the guys pick up their game, he'll tough it out. If they roll over and play dead, he's gonna have the surgery...

I assume he did the radio interview with his teammates within ear shot?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #15: July 21, 2005, 01:02:57 AM »
Hard to argue with that.  And I'm going to add this little side comment: Nick Johnson needs to take a lesson from Curt Schilling and get off his pansy-ass and come to work.  Being on disability with a bruise is just like "crying in baseball".

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #16: July 21, 2005, 01:28:10 AM »
If Jim Bowden sits down and has a long talk with Livan Hernandez on Thursday, Bowden is going to find out that Livan really hates Jose Vidro. Tonight's Little League style base running and nonchalant defensive may have been the straw that finally broke the camel's back. I believe (if Livan opens up to Bowden) that either Vidro will be gone by the deadline or Livan will opt to have his season ending surgery. This thing has been coming to a boil for at least a couple of years.

I truly hope that Livan does have a heart to heart with Bowden, because if he doesn't his mood will just get worse.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #17: July 21, 2005, 01:30:30 AM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
If Jim Bowden sits down and has a long talk with Livan Hernandez on Thursday, Bowden is going to find out that Livan really hates Jose Vidro.

whoa whoa whoa.......where did this come from?

if you are still gonna be awake for a while, let's talk about this on IM.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #18: July 21, 2005, 02:13:10 AM »
I'm on my way to bed, so IM is out... But before this gets out of hand, I cant say with 100% certainty that the player Livan has the problem with is Vidro, it could be another player. Because the very little Spanish I know, isn't very good, and I could have easily misunderstood some things I heard him say while he was talking to the person with him. Livan was mad, really mad, with which player to say 100%, I'm not sure... I was sure I heard the name Vidro, but that may not be what he said, because he was spitting out his words, he was so mad.

It made waiting around for autographs really awkward and needless to say, none of us asked him for an autograph that day. In fact we kinda all left pretty fast.

One reason I have always been sure he was talking about Vidro that day was what one of the other autograph seekers said to his friend while they were leaving too, and that was, "Holy crap, is he ever pissed at that player, I wonder what he did?" so that, along with the Vidro sounding name/word has had me thinking Hernandez cant stand Vidro...

Whatever, or whoever is the problem, I think the next few days will tell... If he IS mad at a player and its not Vidro, there aren't that many left who were with the Expos 2 years ago...

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #19: July 21, 2005, 02:15:49 AM »
If it's the same player he's mad at...

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #20: July 21, 2005, 02:20:14 AM »
I'm on my way to bed, so IM is out... But before this gets out of hand, I cant say with 100% certainty that the player Livan has the problem with is Vidro, it could be another player. Because the very little Spanish I know, isn't very good, and I could have easily misunderstood some things I heard him say while he was talking to the person with him. Livan was mad, really mad, with which player to say 100%, I'm not sure... I was sure I heard the name Vidro, but that may not be what he said, because he was spitting out his words, he was so mad.

It made waiting around for autographs really awkward and needless to say, none of us asked him for an autograph that day. In fact we kinda all left pretty fast.

One reason I have always been sure he was talking about Vidro that day was what one of the other autograph seekers said to his friend while they were leaving too, and that was, "Holy crap, is he ever pissed at that player, I wonder what he did?" so that, along with the Vidro sounding name/word has had me thinking Hernandez cant stand Vidro...

Whatever, or whoever is the problem, I think the next few days will tell... If he IS mad at a player and its not Vidro, there aren't that many left who were with the Expos 2 years ago...

when was this? last season?

my thinking is that he is upset with either Frank, the Team's management, or the team's Owner(s)(or perhaps the lack of true Owners).

but I defer to the Montrealers, because they know more intimate history of this team than I do.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #21: July 21, 2005, 01:07:09 PM »
Kenz- can you give a little more background on what you are talking about?  I just found this site, so I'm a little lost.   I gather that you heard Hernandez talking very angrily in Spanish about another player, but can you provide some context?  When & where was it?   Had something happened in particular that game do you think?  

Much appreciated.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #22: July 21, 2005, 01:30:24 PM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
when was this? last season?

The day after the game I saw him so mad, was 2 years ago... It might have been three, but I'm sure it was in 2003.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

« Reply #23: July 21, 2005, 01:31:54 PM »
If it's the same player he's mad at...

I was thinking before this it was starting to remind me of the last Bronffman year (the Langston year).

I recall the Expos went into the break with a small (3-4 game) lead and Buck Roger's comment was "well, now we're the team to beat." The league obliged by beating the Expos mercilessly immediately after the break (tho my memory is they were eliminated in the final series of the season in St. Louis who went on to the WS).

Also in the season Pasqual Perez blew up (pitching one of the endless 0-0 or 1-1- ties and lifted for a PH in the 8th or so, then Rogers puts in Otis Nixon to pinch run and has the PH bunt, which sent Perez over the top as he was one of the team's best bunters and felt the whole point of putting in Nixon was that anybody could bunt him over if he didn't steal).

After the loss, Perez went off on Rogers and finished with something like:"I can play for a bad team, I can play for a team that doesn't score any runs but I can't play for a stupid team!"

DEJA VU?

As to Livan, the constants over the period he's talking about are:
MLB ownership
Frank Robinson
a few players.

I noticed Nick Johnson in the dugout prominently before the game. Since the thing seemed to be focussing on surgery and playing hurt, I wonder if Nick's presence sent Livan off. Purely a guess and perhaps projection on my part.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #24: July 21, 2005, 01:40:49 PM »
Quote from: "LetsGoNats"
Kenz- can you give a little more background on what you are talking about?  I just found this site, so I'm a little lost.   I gather that you heard Hernandez talking very angrily in Spanish about another player, but can you provide some context?  When & where was it?   Had something happened in particular that game do you think?

It took place a couple years ago after a game at the Big Oh. A friend and I, along with a bunch of others, were waiting around for the players to ask for autographs. The first player out was Hernandez, and his fuming and talking to some guy he was walking out with took everyone by surprise. His being mad like he was, kinda had us stepping back. Whether we stepped back out of fear or to respect his privacy I cant say, because it wasn't anything any of us was expecting.

As for more info, allI can say is, scroll up... I've typed in everything I remember...