Author Topic: The Rafael Soriano Quandary  (Read 1378 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The Rafael Soriano Quandary
« Topic Start: September 08, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »
Um......So what do we think of this guy after a wild year?  In the end, he's putting together a solid season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/09/08/rafael-soriano-is-getting-on-role/

Kilgore notes:

Over the past three weeks, though, Soriano has given himself a chance to finish his first season in Washington strong. After a 1-2-3 save this afternoon in Miami, Soriano has converted seven straight chances to give himself 39 saves this year, which ranks second in the National League.

“He attacked the zone,” catcher Wilson Ramos said. “He’s pitching down in the zone. It’s better right now. Right now, I’m behind the plate with him and I see him throwing better. His pitches move a lot, down in the zone. He’s doing good.”

Soriano lacked crispness on his pitches for most of this season. He left fastballs high in the zone, his cutter was straight and his slider was anything but sharp. That has changed lately, especially his slider. “That’s one of the reasons,” Soriano said.

Another is more consistent usage. As the Nationals slumped through the majority of the season, Soriano sat unused in the bullpen. As they have gone 19-9 in their past 28 games, Soriano has seen more regular work.

“This year, I had like three or four times I don’t pitch for like a week,” Soriano said. “It’s not easy, you know? Pitching every two or three days, for me, I feel more better like that. When you have five days where you don’t pitch, it’s not easy. But you know, it don’t be nobody’s fault. The team has been struggling.”

Soriano has finished 52 games, which is pertinent to his future with the Nationals. The Nationals owe Soriano $28 million over two seasons. But he also holds a $14 million option for 2015 that vests if Soriano finished 120 games over his first two years in Washington. With a strong finish, Soriano will either be on pace or close to it.

He also has a chance to achieve some milestones in the season’s final 20 games. With eight saves, Soriano would tie Chad Cordero’s team record of 47 in 2005. With six, he would match his career mark of 45 saves.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: The Rafael Soriano Quandary
« Reply #1: September 08, 2013, 10:12:51 PM »
He's not a closer any more than Clippard is. But we're stuck with him.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #2: September 08, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
I think he should be called a closer (In a close position or manner) vs. a closer ( shut or shut tight) but my girl friend thinks he"s a  closer

Offline Optics

« Reply #3: September 09, 2013, 12:30:11 AM »
I couldn't care less about saves. Most average relievers can rack up saves if they're on a half decent team and get all the opportunities.

Soriano is just that, average. Maybe a little bit above, but that's it. He's not a swing and miss guy. You could have given anyone on the staff the # of opportunities he's had this year and gotten similar results.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: September 09, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »

"Closer" is a fabricated concept anyway.  Who cares? 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #5: September 09, 2013, 11:05:02 AM »
Um, Clippard's an extremely good relief pitcher. This is like saying "he's as bad a president as Teddy Roosevelt."

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #6: September 09, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »
I think he should be called a closer (In a close position or manner) vs. a closer ( shut or shut tight) but my girl friend thinks he"s a  closer

He has been closer to being that first definition of Closer (in a close position or getting it closer) than the traditional closer (shut tight or shut it right there). I worries me when he is brought in. At first I thought he was OK and I kind of liked the whole "untuck" thing at the beginning of the season, but when that became less frequent he started reminding me of H-Rod. At times it seems that Soriano loves to try getting things as close as possible instead of trying to keep the opponent shut down.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #7: September 09, 2013, 11:11:23 AM »
"Closer" is a fabricated concept anyway.  Who cares? 

I'd say we do.

Um, Clippard's an extremely good relief pitcher. This is like saying "he's as bad a president as Teddy Roosevelt."
But as a closer he has not been as effective as he has been a set up man/relief pitcher.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #8: September 09, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »
Soriano is just that, average. Maybe a little bit above,

I would say definitely NOT above average, and likely, below average.  Doesn't throw very hard, command definitely below average, not much movement.  Look at the number of ninth innings he's pitched and how many of them "clean" (no runners). I don't know the number offhand but it seems close to zero. Worse, look at the number he's blown.   I would venture to say that if you could run the season over and substitute any relief pitcher on the staff for him, he would have at least the same, or better, success. ANY relief pitcher on the staff.    That's not above average. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: September 09, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »
he's got another contract year coming up, he'll be fine

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #10: September 09, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »
I would say definitely NOT above average, and likely, below average.  Doesn't throw very hard, command definitely below average, not much movement.  Look at the number of ninth innings he's pitched and how many of them "clean" (no runners). I don't know the number offhand but it seems close to zero. Worse, look at the number he's blown.   I would venture to say that if you could run the season over and substitute any relief pitcher on the staff for him, he would have at least the same, or better, success. ANY relief pitcher on the staff.    That's not above average. 

Storen?    Henry?    Duke?   O-train?   Abad?    Even not counting the trash that is gone, that's a wide net to throw in a pretty shallow bullpen pond.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #11: September 09, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »
Storen?    Henry?    Duke?   O-train?   Abad?    Even not counting the trash that is gone, that's a wide net to throw in a pretty shallow bullpen pond.
No, didn't mean to include discarded trash.   Any relief pitcher currently on the staff.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #12: September 09, 2013, 11:47:45 AM »
His number of saves looks good.  However, there were times when he was infuriating - blowing leads and costing us games.  I'm not sold on him.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #13: September 09, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »
No, didn't mean to include discarded trash.   Any relief pitcher currently on the staff.

For me, it's not just his pitching.   He appears to be a crappy team mate.

Offline sph274

« Reply #14: September 09, 2013, 12:02:12 PM »

how do you know this? people on this board hate soriano because he said a few things to the media early on in the season but since then has shut his mouth. he is a decent reliever who can be a dominant one. hopefully next year is better for him and we can say that about half the roster.

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: September 09, 2013, 12:07:12 PM »

IDK the players seemed to pick up on the Untuck crap to a large degree.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #16: September 09, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »
how do you know this? people on this board hate soriano because he said a few things to the media early on in the season but since then has shut his mouth. he is a decent reliever who can be a dominant one. hopefully next year is better for him and we can say that about half the roster.

There was no doubt in my mind somebody would do this crap, "How do you know this?"    I'm freakin' cosmic.     I don't know him.   I don't care for him one way or the other.   I don't wanna marry his daughter or dance at his wedding.    I don't care who he likes or hangs with on the roster.   I don't care what he said to who.    I simply watch him play.    That's what I know and it "appears" based on what I see that I wouldn't wanna have a beer/soda with him.   That's what I meant by "appear", as in he gives ME the impression he wouldn't be a good team mate.   Let's call it a "mindfact".

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: September 09, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »
IDK the players seemed to pick up on the Untuck crap to a large degree.

seems kind of forced to me.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #18: September 09, 2013, 01:22:24 PM »
Tom - as our resident Freudian expert, you may have some insight not seen by others.  But I don't see anyone being forced to follow the untuck ritual.  It actually appears some players were amused by it.

seems kind of forced to me.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #19: September 09, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »
But it's not organic, like how everyone who hits a dinger gets their batting helmet removed by a team mate.

Tom - as our resident Freudian expert, you may have some insight not seen by others.  But I don't see anyone being forced to follow the untuck ritual.  It actually appears some players were amused by it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #20: September 09, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »
 :shock:
There was no doubt in my mind somebody would do this crap, "How do you know this?"    I'm freakin' cosmic.     I don't know him.   I don't care for him one way or the other.   I don't wanna marry his daughter or dance at his wedding.    I don't care who he likes or hangs with on the roster.   I don't care what he said to who.    I simply watch him play.    That's what I know and it "appears" based on what I see that I wouldn't wanna have a beer/soda with him.   That's what I meant by "appear", as in he gives ME the impression he wouldn't be a good team mate.   Let's call it a "mindfact".

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: September 09, 2013, 03:23:05 PM »

Some do it, some don't.  Some look like they're having an appendectomy as they do it.  Those are the ones I'd say are forcing it, perhaps so as not to further disrupt what little pretense of harmony and goodwill exists with their prima donna teammate.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #22: September 09, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »
I'm freakin' cosmic.

You're this guy?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #23: September 09, 2013, 06:12:59 PM »
Some do it, some don't.  Some look like they're having an appendectomy as they do it.  Those are the ones I'd say are forcing it, perhaps so as not to further disrupt what little pretense of harmony and goodwill exists with their prima donna teammate.

Are we analyzing the untuck move now? You better save some of this stuff for the offseason.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #24: September 09, 2013, 06:22:42 PM »
His number of saves looks good.  However, there were times when he was infuriating - blowing leads and costing us games.  I'm not sold on him.

I've always been on the "we overpaid" side of the argument, even though he's posted decent numbers.  For comparison, Philly signed Mike Adams for 2/$12,  Affeldt got 3/$18.  Nobody got close to what Soriano got, though it was a very weak year for FA closers.  2/$20 probably would have landed him.