Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84792 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #800: March 15, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »
Kinda short for a first baseman. Being tall is an advantage there. Get to balls thrown too high and can stretch further. Not saying it's the only deciding factor, but it should accounted for.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #801: March 15, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »
I agree it's short, but Garvey was an All Star 10 times in his career and won an MVP and was 2nd in MVP voting once.  He also won several GG's, which may or may not mean something about his fielding.

If Rendon can play a great 3B and stay healthy, then he probably belongs there.  Especially with Zim's throwing and shoulder issues.

edit - http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/garvest01.shtml

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #802: March 16, 2013, 10:26:53 PM »
I agree it's short, but Garvey was an All Star 10 times in his career and won an MVP and was 2nd in MVP voting once.  He also won several GG's, which may or may not mean something about his fielding.

If Rendon can play a great 3B and stay healthy, then he probably belongs there.  Especially with Zim's throwing and shoulder issues.

edit - http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/garvest01.shtml

Rendon's the same height as Don Mattingly, who won 9 Gold Gloves and was a six-time All Star for the Evil Empire at 1B.  So depending on whether Zim's throwing and shoulder continues to be an issue, Rendon at first and Zim at third could be an excellent long-term option (or else vice versa).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mattido01.shtml

Offline RD

« Reply #803: March 16, 2013, 10:44:48 PM »
I don't think going back 15 years provides great examples for the game today.

With that said, Prince Fielder is only 5'11 and he does ok. I think he's the only one 6' or shorter though.

2nd base is clearly where he'd have the biggest impact now for us, but down the road, I wouldn't rule out Werth(Zim has already been mentioned) as a possible 1b candidate. As he gets older, his range is going to diminish. With Goodwin close, we may be looking for an OF spot for him. Rendon may even play OF. Or if Hood emerges. Not saying expect it, but its a possibility.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #804: March 18, 2013, 08:04:53 AM »
I think Mattingly was a great 1B because he was a first-rate infielder...just stuck at 1B because he's left-handed. It helps more to have an aggressive fielder, rather than a throw-catcher. However, I suspect Zimmerman to need to move to 1B about when LaRoche finishes.

And what about Tyler Moore and Chris Marrero? Fun to have so many good players...for a reminder, pick out a box score in 2009.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #805: March 18, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »
I think Mattingly was a great 1B because he was a first-rate infielder...just stuck at 1B because he's left-handed. It helps more to have an aggressive fielder, rather than a throw-catcher. However, I suspect Zimmerman to need to move to 1B about when LaRoche finishes.

And what about Tyler Moore and Chris Marrero? Fun to have so many good players...for a reminder, pick out a box score in 2009.

I don't think Marrero is big leage type player. I just don't think he has the power for first, nor will he hit for average.

Moore may, we'll see.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #806: March 18, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
If Rendon can't play either middle infield spot, then I think it just comes down to whether he or Skole is the better hitter to replace LaRoche in the infield.  The other becomes trade bait.

I'm not sold on either Moore or Marrero, but I think one or both could be second-division type or fill-in starters.  The Yankees would probably be happy to have either one right now.  And Micah Owings has shown he can be a solid RH bat off the bench.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #807: March 18, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »
If Rendon can't play either middle infield spot, then I think it just comes down to whether he or Skole is the better hitter to replace LaRoche in the infield.  The other becomes trade bait.

In my opinion, it's not even a question who the better hitter is.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #808: March 18, 2013, 01:45:22 PM »
For now, it's Rendon without question.  But LaRoche will be there the whole year this year.  Next offseason we could, maybe should, trade him.  A lot could happen with REndon and Skole over the course of the year.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #809: March 20, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »
Juwan (D.C.): I know that spring training production isn't an indicator of anything really, but Rendon physically looked sensational in his time with the big club. He looked stronger, his bat speed was sensational, the ball absolutely jumped off of is bat, his batting eye was very good etc. I know that you've been driving the Rendon bandwagon for a while, but what type of ceiling do you think he has? Does he have a David Wright type of ceiling? Is he a perennial all-star type of guy potentially? Thanks for the response, love your work!

Jim Callis: I do think he has a Wright/all-star ceiling with some batting championships in his future if he can stay healthy. I'm still driving the Rendon bandwagon and actually felt bad when I didn't rank him higher than 26th on my personal Top 50 in the Prospect Handbook.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1363794561

Offline welch

« Reply #810: March 20, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
Juwan (D.C.): I know that spring training production isn't an indicator of anything really, but Rendon physically looked sensational in his time with the big club. He looked stronger, his bat speed was sensational, the ball absolutely jumped off of is bat, his batting eye was very good etc. I know that you've been driving the Rendon bandwagon for a while, but what type of ceiling do you think he has? Does he have a David Wright type of ceiling? Is he a perennial all-star type of guy potentially? Thanks for the response, love your work!

Jim Callis: I do think he has a Wright/all-star ceiling with some batting championships in his future if he can stay healthy. I'm still driving the Rendon bandwagon and actually felt bad when I didn't rank him higher than 26th on my personal Top 50 in the Prospect Handbook.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1363794561

I can see some trips to watch Harrisburg early in the season.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #811: March 21, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »
Top Tools
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=19938

Best Hit/Power

by BP Prospect Staff

Hit

Top Hitter in the Minor Leagues: Oscar Taveras (St. Louis Cardinals)

While there are several players that come up in the conversation for best hit tool, few draw such consistent praise as Taveras. The swing mechanics aren’t so much pretty as they are violent, but Taveras has an uncanny ability to control the violence in his swing and put the bat on the ball. The strength in his forearms and wrists helps create plus-plus bat speed through the zone and the overall swing plane allows him to keep the barrel of the bat in the hitting zone for an extended period of time. Taveras’ contact is often loud and consistently sprayed to all fields. The only question surrounding Taveras’ hitting ability is the frequency with which he swings and the aggressiveness of his overall approach; but even that has yet to keep scouts from projecting him as a perennial .300 hitter and potential batting champion.

Other Players Considered: Jurickson Profar (Texas Rangers), Anthony Rendon (Washington Nationals), Christian Yelich (Miami Marlins)

All three of these players were given strong consideration for the top spot in the minor leagues, but none could match the overwhelming praise piled on Taveras. Profar is nothing short of a fantastic overall player and most scouts project him as a consistent .300 hitter in the big leagues, much like Taveras. After an impressive college career that left amateur scouts drooling, Rendon has flown a little under the radar over the last year because of injury. There may be durability and longevity concerns surrounding Rendon, but nobody questions his ability to hit for a high average. He has an excellent approach at the plate, quick hands and good barrel control, leading to plenty of hard contact and high batting averages. Christian Yelich may be the most unheralded of the four prospects in this discussion, but he owns a gorgeous swing that generates hard line drives to all fields. Like Profar and Rendon, Yelich profiles as a potential .300 hitter, just not in the class of Oscar Taveras.

Offline nats4ever

What is your impression of Rendon?
« Reply #812: April 10, 2013, 11:49:11 PM »
What is your impression Anthony Rendon in general as a player? How would you compare him to Espinosa? Also, would you be willing to trade him if we need bullpen help?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: What is your impression of Rendon?
« Reply #813: April 11, 2013, 12:00:27 AM »
What is your impression Anthony Rendon in general as a player? How would you compare him to Espinosa? Also, would you be willing to trade him if we need bullpen help?
You don't trade a potential hitting stud for a bullpen arm.

He'll eventually rake and we'll be very happy.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #814: April 11, 2013, 12:03:18 AM »
Anthony Rendon profiles as the next David Wright. Unfortunately, he gets injured almost all the time, so we really need to see him go a few months without breaking a bone or two before we can really commit. I definitely don't think he should be seeing regular playing time in the major leagues this summer. On the other hand, no, you would not trade the next David Wright for a relief pitcher, even if he did nothing but get injured. Risk/reward...

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #815: April 11, 2013, 12:04:18 AM »
Twins traded Ramos for a bullpen arm, doubt they're happy about that.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #816: April 11, 2013, 06:25:02 AM »

I'm sorry. I don't do impressions. My training is in psychiatry.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #817: April 11, 2013, 07:06:04 AM »
<-----

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #818: April 11, 2013, 07:34:10 AM »
While the bp has been a bit shaky, there aren't a lot of teams who are in much better shape.  If you're trading a prospect like Rendon, I guess you are trading for a closer?  Who us out there that is better than we've got?  I can only think of a handful that could could crack our top 3 and an even smaller handful that would be better than all 3.  And I don't think any of those would be available.

Our only need is a lefty and we're not trading a top prospect for a loogy.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #819: April 13, 2013, 11:17:10 PM »
Only off to a .235 start but has a .426 due to an 11:6 BB:K ratio.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #820: April 14, 2013, 12:43:54 AM »

Sounds like Bryce Harper last year.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #821: April 14, 2013, 12:47:47 AM »

Derek Norris is back!

Offline Slateman

« Reply #822: April 14, 2013, 12:09:53 PM »
Hmmm ... maybe we should move him to catcher.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #823: April 14, 2013, 02:59:45 PM »
so Rendon is playing 3B everyday in the minors, or 2b?

Offline welch

« Reply #824: April 14, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »
Can't tell easily, as Harrisburg stats lists Rendon, Nicol, and Skole all as 3B, but nobody as 2B. Today's box score shows Rendon as 4-for-4 (so far) and playing 3B.