Should Manny Acta be fired?

Yes
76 (67.3%)
No
18 (15.9%)
Ask me later in the year
19 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Should Manny Acta be fired?  (Read 33651 times)

Offline Dave B

Re: Should Manny Acta be fired?
« Reply #450: May 31, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »
Do you think there is a chance Kasten is going to clean house after the draft?  I am thinking that if he does not remove the 'interim' from Rizzo's job title soon, he will bring in a new GM.  And, if a new GM is brought in, they'll want to hire their own staff.  i think the waiting on Acta is Kasten waiting till after the draft (which i think is a mistake).  Either go with Rizzo or find the replacement.  

wouldnt the new GM want to draft their own players too?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #451: May 31, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »

Yeah, but Strasburg is a no brainer regardless, right? 9A is BPA, and then after that it's a crap shoot really  -- besides, isn't the talent evaluated by the scouts?

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #452: May 31, 2009, 05:21:35 PM »
15.5 games out of First Place at the end of May.

5-25 (.167) record against the NL East!!!

Three Losing streaks of 6 or more games already.
Wow, we are more games behind than we have won after 2 months.  Wow.   A team could have won 0 games and be closer to the Nats than the Nats are to first place.  Wow.

« Reply #453: May 31, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »
I'm sick of Manny Acta.  He has to go NOW.  This team needs to start from scratch.  New manager, base coaches and pitching coach.  Promote the Syracuse coaches, they couldn't do any worse.

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #454: May 31, 2009, 06:11:45 PM »
After 49 Games:

1962 Mets: 13 - 36
2009 Nats: 13 - 36

Offline zoom

« Reply #455: May 31, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »
Yeah, but Strasburg is a no brainer regardless, right? 9A is BPA, and then after that it's a crap shoot really  -- besides, isn't the talent evaluated by the scouts?

yeah, that is why i think it's a mistake to wait. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #456: May 31, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
Why would we hire Foli?  We've already got a pretty successful AAA manager on the staff in Listach. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #457: May 31, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »

unless you are willing to go way over slot to buy guys away from college, hopefully we are again this year.

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #458: May 31, 2009, 11:29:23 PM »
Manny needs to go to the Mets.  They have more amigos than we do if you can believe that. 

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #459: June 01, 2009, 07:07:48 AM »
If it doesn't happen today you might as well lock this thread.

Online blue911

« Reply #460: June 01, 2009, 07:25:31 AM »
Why would we hire Foli?  We've already got a pretty successful AAA manager on the staff in Listach. 

Nothing against Listach but the Nationals need a drill sergeant. The Nats need some discipline at this point.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #461: June 01, 2009, 09:31:02 AM »
Who wants to fire up the interim GM Translator?

Here's what Rizzo said yesterday:

"I haven't heard any player point a finger, I haven't heard any grumbling other than frustration with themselves, and I think that's a testament to the players themselves and to the management," he said. "I can tell by the attitude of the team, the effort level of the ballclub, the attentiveness of meetings and that type of thing. We've got guys who run balls out every time no matter what the score is, no matter what just happened the inning before. Those are all signs of the attitude of the club, and really a testament to the professionalism of the players."

Asked directly about Acta's job security, Rizzo offered an indirect answer. "Like I said, the manager is judged by how the players react. The effort level is there. The respect level is there. The evaluation process continues for everybody, including the staff, including the players."

Follow-up: So, is Acta's job secure?

"I just answered that question," he said. "We're constantly evaluating everybody in the organization. We'll evaluate it, and decisions are gonna be made."

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #462: June 01, 2009, 09:31:35 AM »
Nothing against Listach but the Nationals need a drill sergeant. The Nats need some discipline at this point.
Who's to say he won't be?  The best guy for the job is the best guy for the job. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #463: June 01, 2009, 12:25:44 PM »

Offline PennSkinsFan

• DC Pro Sports Report
« Reply #464: June 01, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »
Only way Acta should be fired is if Kasten and Rizzo go along with them. 

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/06/nats-farm-report-june-1-time-for-kasten-and-rizzo-to-go.html

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #465: June 01, 2009, 12:34:11 PM »
Anybody get the sense that Manny gets fired and does a tell-all interview with someone like Peter Gammons?  Something like an interview that tells everyone just what the FO is like here? 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #466: June 01, 2009, 12:36:45 PM »

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/06/nats-farm-report-june-1-time-for-kasten-and-rizzo-to-go.html
Pfft, what?  How are you able to give Rizzo a grade yet?  We haven't seen him making the calls in the situations GM's make their money.  The trade deadline and offseason.  Let's get through those first before we give the Riz a grade.  I think a case for Kasten could be made, but not Rizzo yet.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #467: June 01, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »
Anybody get the sense that Manny gets fired and does a tell-all interview with someone like Peter Gammons?  Something like an interview that tells everyone just what the FO is like here? 
That doesn't seem like Manny's style to me.  That would be a bad rep to develop.  He doesn't want to be known or at least thought of as the guy who'll air the dirty laundry after he's asked to leave.  He has nothing to gain from that.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #468: June 01, 2009, 12:38:23 PM »

Since Kasten is an owner, don't see it happening.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #469: June 01, 2009, 12:38:58 PM »
That doesn't seem like Manny's style to me.  That would be a bad rep to develop.  He doesn't want to be known or at least thought of as the guy who'll air the dirty laundry after he's asked to leave.  He has nothing to gain from that.

No, it does not, besides, it's not very smart -- it does not serve anyone to burn bridges ...

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #470: June 01, 2009, 12:53:06 PM »
It would have already happened I believe.

we might be stuck with Acta.

Have I mentioned how awful Rizzo is btw? Man he is not fit to be a GM.

Online blue911

« Reply #471: June 01, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Have I mentioned how awful Rizzo is btw? Man he is not fit to be a GM.

You're starting to sound like hammonds. next thing we know you'll start nagging about the uni's.  :D

Offline PennSkinsFan

• DC Pro Sports Report
« Reply #472: June 01, 2009, 01:07:29 PM »
Pfft, what?  How are you able to give Rizzo a grade yet?  We haven't seen him making the calls in the situations GM's make their money.  The trade deadline and offseason.  Let's get through those first before we give the Riz a grade.  I think a case for Kasten could be made, but not Rizzo yet.

You don't hold him accountable for anything?  You blame it all on Jim Bowden?  I don't.  Much of it I do, but Rizzo was PART of this God-awful front office, worst in baseball.  Plus, well, he did make that brilliant trade for Kensing. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #473: June 01, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »
You don't hold him accountable for anything?  You blame it all on Jim Bowden?  I don't.  Much of it I do, but Rizzo was PART of this God-awful front office, worst in baseball.  Plus, well, he did make that brilliant trade for Kensing. 

That trade was so lousy Baseball America didn't add it to their Trade Central.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #474: June 01, 2009, 01:14:45 PM »
No, not all, but the reports we got shortly after the ouster of JimBo was that Rizzo tried to get Bowden to fix those deficiencies.  Rizzo signs Beimel almost immediately in a last ditch effort to shore up the bullpen at least a little bit.  Let's not forget the other fires he had to put out at that time too in the Dominican.  The Lensing trade was probably a bit of a panic move, but at that point in the season the ship was taking on water faster than they could bail it out.  My point is it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyy too early to give Rizzo a final grade.  If he's going to learn on the job, this is the best place for him to do it.  he's not going to get an opportunity like this in any other place in the league.  He'll make a misstep or two, every GM does, but let's not write him off after the first quiz of the semester.