Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Dave B

Fishing
« Topic Start: October 11, 2006, 11:37:07 AM »
So, my girlfriend has expressed this desire to go fishing.  She was saying how she's always wanted to go fishing but nobody would ever take her, probably because she doesn't know anybody who actually fishes (including me). Her birthday is coming up and I thought it would be a good idea to go fishing.

A couple questions:

Is this feasible? Do I need some kinda of permit?
Where should I go? We're content to just cast our lines from the bank of a river/stream (and be able to drink beer). We probably dont care if we catch anything.
What kind of equipment do I need? Is it rentable? I;d imagine I could get budget stuff at sports authority.

Please help

Nats Bruin

Fishing
« Reply #1: October 11, 2006, 12:35:07 PM »
The first tip I'll give you is

DON'T DO IT!
Fishing is a guys thing you do with your son!
Also, if you take her....
the first time she screams "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"
Push her out of the boat!
 :lol:

AuRevoirExpos

Fishing
« Reply #2: October 11, 2006, 02:14:09 PM »
Dave, you can't just fish....you need to know how to fish, there's a whole technique to casting your line, reeling in your catch, fixing bait etc. You don't just pick up a rod and throw your hook into the water and expect to catch anything, anymore than somebody who has never driven a car in their life could just put it in gear and drive around all day! So you better get some coaching first or your girlfriend isn't going to get so much as a nibble!  :shock:

Offline Dave B

Fishing
« Reply #3: October 11, 2006, 03:09:14 PM »
Quote from: "AuRevoirExpos"
Dave, you can't just fish....you need to know how to fish, there's a whole technique to casting your line, reeling in your catch, fixing bait etc. You don't just pick up a rod and throw your hook into the water and expect to catch anything, anymore than somebody who has never driven a car in their life could just put it in gear and drive around all day! So you better get some coaching first or your girlfriend isn't going to get so much as a nibble!  :shock:

I realize that. I said I dont care if I catch anything. Although I'd hate to catch something and then torture a fish because I botch taking a hook out of its mouth.

Re: Fishing
« Reply #4: October 11, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
So, my girlfriend has expressed this desire to go fishing.  She was saying how she's always wanted to go fishing but nobody would ever take her, probably because she doesn't know anybody who actually fishes (including me). Her birthday is coming up and I thought it would be a good idea to go fishing.

A couple questions:

Is this feasible? Do I need some kinda of permit?
Where should I go? We're content to just cast our lines from the bank of a river/stream (and be able to drink beer). We probably dont care if we catch anything.
What kind of equipment do I need? Is it rentable? I;d imagine I could get budget stuff at sports authority.

Please help

Most places require a "fishing license" of some sort, especially if your going to local parks and lakes.

Rods, line, sinkers, hooks, bait.  Those are the main needs.  You probably don't want to get that much more advanced since its your first time.