Author Topic: The Cycling Thread - 2013 Edition  (Read 10123 times)

Offline 0ricky0

Re: The Cycling Thread - 2013 Edition
« Reply #25: January 11, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »
Go for the Bianchi Volpe a great all around steel bike that can do it all - commute, tour, cyclocross. Not the best if you're looking for a pure road bike but a great do-it-all for ~$1,200.

That's one of the bikes I had an eye on and even checked out at one of my local bike shops. The staff there tried pressuring me into some mid-range bikes way out of my price range so I left the place. I thought about a fixed gear too since I don't need to shift at all when commuting, but I'm not sure if you can add to gears to these bikes later on without damaging anything, or if it's even worth it on a fixie. There are two other local shops near-by, but none of them sell Bianchi's.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #26: January 11, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »
There are bike clothes that aren't "spandex", or spandex looking, FYI.

I love the look of Bianchis but I've never ridden one. I'm loving my Specialized Tricross.

Managed to get my ride in today before the rain got bad. Nice to squeeze it in after a long week at work.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #27: January 11, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
That's one of the bikes I had an eye on and even checked out at one of my local bike shops. The staff there tried pressuring me into some mid-range bikes way out of my price range so I left the place. I thought about a fixed gear too since I don't need to shift at all when commuting, but I'm not sure if you can add to gears to these bikes later on without damaging anything, or if it's even worth it on a fixie. There are two other local shops near-by, but none of them sell Bianchi's.

Are you local? Spokes Etc is awesome if you are in the area, they won't pressure you outside your price range.

The Tricross are also great if you're looking for something that isn't pure road bike. I think the entry level is around $799.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #28: January 11, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »
Don't get a fixed gear unless you plan on riding it at the velodome and blowing out your knees.  You'd probably do well with a single speed which there are tons of from $300 complete up to $3,000+.  Surly makes a cool little single speed called the "Steamroller" which you can get for $800 complete. You could also get a Surly cross Check (the bike I ride) and get it as a single speed and then convert it to a geared touring or commuter down the road.

As far a clothing goes - I don't think riding in you uniform is advisable, get a backpack and change at work. As far as clothes go - I wear a Manny Ramirez Dodgers shirt, baggy shorts (with a padded lined underneath) and a Goode when I ride. I'm also 350lbs so I'm already a sight to see without not dressing the part.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #29: January 11, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »
Now that is one beautiful bike in all white. Do you recommend any component upgrades (105), or keep as is for now? I ask because my main concern is that I'll be mostly traveling to and from work this winter while in uniform (plus steel-toe boots). Will I look stupid...probebly so, but I'd prefer to not have to change at work. I'm not at the point to where I want to by any special clothes to ride; the folks over at Roadbike Review.com seem to cry foul for everyone who doesn't shave their legs and/ or not wearing spandex.

If riding becomes a more serious hobby for me, sure I'll try and look the part, but for now I'd like to take the time and purchase a properly fitted bike that I can grow into for the next couple of years. Currently I ride some mid-90's Trek 700 that is way too big, but it beats wasting money maintaing my car when my commute is only 4 miles round-trip each day.
the one that I bought was the black/gold/white one. I'm not sure what level of cyclist I'd call myself, but I'm mostly a commuter and do some fun long rides with my wife and around the neighborhood with my kids, so, I'm not the person to ask about upgraded components. I bought mine stock, and stock it shall stay.

I'm not looking to make the Tour de France, so, I don't care about shaving my legs or wearing the right cycling clothes. As long as my shorts don't chafe my crotch, they're the right shorts for me.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #30: January 11, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »
The key to not chafing is Butt'r creme European version. Totally Werth the stingy.

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #31: January 11, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »
Are you local? Spokes Etc is awesome if you are in the area, they won't pressure you outside your price range.

The Tricross are also great if you're looking for something that isn't pure road bike. I think the entry level is around $799.
. No, I'm out in Northern California. I'd like to keep the price below $1200 too.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #32: January 11, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »
You can always go used. I'm riding a straight steel Raleigh M50 out of the 80s. If you were buying a bike like mine used, it would be, oh, say, free-$150.

If you're in Cali, there might only be a million used bikes to choose from.

I wouldn't be faster on any of the bikes you've have been discussing (although do crave a Fuji SL1 Ultegra carbon, maybe with straight bars).

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #33: January 11, 2013, 06:50:43 PM »
You can always go used. I'm riding a straight steel Raleigh M50 out of the 80s. If you were buying a bike like mine used, it would be, oh, say, free-$150.

If you're in Cali, there might only be a million used bikes to choose from.

I wouldn't be faster on any of the bikes you've have been discussing (although do crave a Fuji SL1 Ultegra carbon, maybe with straight bars).

You could spend spend serious $$$$ buying the lightest bike to go faster; all of it's great stuff too. For us working-stiffs out there, losing weight is free! My current bike easily weighs over 20 lbs., maybe 25, and I'm sitting at 185 lbs. myself, so dropping down to 170 would put me, or anyone for that matter, in a better position to go faster.

I thought about going the used route, but I hear/read about so many who are against this if you are clueless (me) about bikes. I'd like to support a local bike shop, maybe get in good with them and learn how to properly maintain my own ride. Most of it looks simple enough and the internet helps. I'll still weigh options though for the next month or so before I finally commit to a plan.

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #34: January 11, 2013, 06:55:28 PM »
There are bike clothes that aren't "spandex", or spandex looking, FYI.

I love the look of Bianchis but I've never ridden one. I'm loving my Specialized Tricross.

Managed to get my ride in today before the rain got bad. Nice to squeeze it in after a long week at work.

My apologize, I'm fairly ignorant to what types of clothes riders wear. I haven't researched bike clothes at all atm. That is something I may or may not ever decide to invest in, depending on how serious I become about riding. Thank you for pointing that out though.

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #35: January 11, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »
Don't get a fixed gear unless you plan on riding it at the velodome and blowing out your knees.  You'd probably do well with a single speed which there are tons of from $300 complete up to $3,000+.  Surly makes a cool little single speed called the "Steamroller" which you can get for $800 complete. You could also get a Surly cross Check (the bike I ride) and get it as a single speed and then convert it to a geared touring or commuter down the road.

As far a clothing goes - I don't think riding in you uniform is advisable, get a backpack and change at work. As far as clothes go - I wear a Manny Ramirez Dodgers shirt, baggy shorts (with a padded lined underneath) and a Goode when I ride. I'm also 350lbs so I'm already a sight to see without not dressing the part.

I didn't know there was a difference between fixed and single speeds, thanks! I was iffy about weather or not to wear boots while riding as I didn't want to damage anything. I could care less about my current bike, but that may become a different story after I actully drop some hard-earned bread on a new one. I haven't looked at previous posts, but do you ride daily?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #36: January 11, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »
I didn't know there was a difference between fixed and single speeds, thanks! I was iffy about weather or not to wear boots while riding as I didn't want to damage anything. I could care less about my current bike, but that may become a different story after I actully drop some hard-earned bread on a new one. I haven't looked at previous posts, but do you ride daily?

That honky is on the wheels of steel 24/7 I think.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #37: January 11, 2013, 07:43:21 PM »
Is leaving the boots at work an option?

If riding becomes a more serious hobby for me, sure I'll try and look the part, but for now I'd like to take the time and purchase a properly fitted bike that I can grow into for the next couple of years. Currently I ride some mid-90's Trek 700 that is way too big, but it beats wasting money maintaing my car when my commute is only 4 miles round-trip each day.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #38: January 11, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »
During the season (February to December) I ride 100 miles a week.  I don't have an immune system so riding in the winter is out of the question but I do 4-5 hours on the elliptical each week instead in January.

Single speeds are great if you don't have to deal with hills or if you have a lot of stops and traffic. The simplicity is also great too - two wheels, a single gear, and a front brake are all that you need.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #39: January 11, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »
This weekend is looking like a sneak preview of late April, so I'd suggest grabbing a plate & digging in

During the season (February to December) I ride 100 miles a week.  I don't have an immune system so riding in the winter is out of the question but I do 4-5 hours on the elliptical each week instead in January.

Single speeds are great if you don't have to deal with hills or if you have a lot of stops and traffic. The simplicity is also great too - two wheels, a single gear, and a front brake are all that you need.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #40: January 11, 2013, 09:30:15 PM »
I'm nursing a sore Achilles so I'm sticking with the free weights and elliptical this weekend. Besides, you know it's going to be wall-to-wall needledicks this weekend.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #41: January 11, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »
I'm nursing a sore Achilles so I'm sticking with the free weights and elliptical this weekend. Besides, you know it's going to be wall-to-wall needledicks this weekend.

Doing an early ride on Sunday. Me and all the Lance wannabes.

• babble on
« Reply #42: January 11, 2013, 09:39:05 PM »
If it weren't for the weather, I'd be sticking to liquid barbells and heavy bar-to-mouth reps with fried crap this weekend, but 70 degrees isn't to be trifled with (even in the new era of Halliburton climate science).   

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #43: January 11, 2013, 09:50:47 PM »
Sure, how does 1PM sound?

Meet by the boat launch; we should be the only bikers by the boat launch.

That lot can get really crowded at times, but let's go for it.  I need a ride to test my new pedals, see if my IT band problem is relieved.  It seems to crop up more and more quickly on rides or hikes lately.  Last weekend I had only hiked about 3 miles when I started to feel it.  Pretty sharp pain by 7.8.   :?

Gotta couple of strategies to deal with it so let's ride.  Too bad we can't get Kevrock to sleep in and join us and the rest of the bazillion needledicks on the Mt Vernon out-n-back.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #44: January 11, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »
Thanks for the invite, but I have to go car shopping. Need to replace one of the vehicles soon.

I'm transitioning from running to riding more regularly and seriously -- I doubt I could keep up with you guys yet. Gimme a couple months ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #45: January 11, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »
Thanks for the invite, but I have to go car shopping. Need to replace one of the vehicles soon.

I'm transitioning from running to riding more regularly and seriously -- I doubt I could keep up with you guys yet. Gimme a couple months ;)

I'm usually a solid rider but haven't exercised much in months, I'm going to have to draft behind Commish tomorrow. 

• babble on
« Reply #46: January 11, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »
You going tomorrow or Sunday? 
I'm usually a solid rider but haven't exercised much in months, I'm going to have to draft behind Commish tomorrow. 

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #47: January 11, 2013, 11:45:23 PM »
Is leaving the boots at work an option?

It's an option if I leave the uniform there too, if not it all gets crammed into my backpack. That is not an issue during warmer months, but wearing proper cold-weather gear, along with hauling uniform related items, gets old after awhile. The trip is only 2 miles, so wearing my boots isn't a problem.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #48: January 12, 2013, 08:26:08 AM »
You going tomorrow or Sunday?

I'm going to chance the Sunday at 1 pm departure from Gravelly.  You game?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #49: January 12, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »
Can you give me a better description of where this is? I sure as hell won't go as far as you are going, and I may have to drop back and ride by myself, but I'd like to give it a shot if I can get enough done today.
I'm going to chance the Sunday at 1 pm departure from Gravelly.  You game?