Author Topic: General Fantasy Baseball Advice Thread (2012)  (Read 2778 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
i had him, dropped him, but he's heating up.  i'm just worried that with carlos quentin coming off the shelf ... where is Guzman going to play?

so hang on to him until quentin comes back.  FWIW, i'd avoid SD players anyway, too pitcher friendly of a ballpark.

Offline hammondsnats

Jake Westbrook or Jed Lowrie?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline hammondsnats

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I need to get stronger up the middle and have an excess of outfielders. My co-worker has Trevor Plouffe and is willing to move him. What should I offer? Is Plouffe overachieving?

In the OF I have Justin Upton, Matt Holliday, Jay Bruce, Carlos Quentin, Brandon Moss, Andre Eithier, Carlos Lee (1B/OF), and Mitch Morland (heading to DL).

I just picked up Moss of the DL as a depth move in anticipation of a trade. Which of those guys would be fair for Plouffe and what would you offer?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Check Plouffe's minor league statistics.  I think he has had power for a number of years.  It just has not translated well his first few call ups.  As for the average, again, he hit in the minors but not the majors.  I have not watched enough Twins games this year to say what is for real or not.   Objectively, I would think any of those outfielders are overpays unless you take account of position scarcity and contracts / draft position (if it is a keeper league).

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Thanks, JCA. I think I'll be overpaying a bit but I can't start all these OFs anyway. I'm weak up the middle with Dee Gordon, Espinosa, Rickie Weeks, Daniel Murphy.

Not a keeper league. I think I'm going to offer Carlos Lee and hope he doesn't push for Quentin.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Here is is BR page with a link to his minor league page.  At ages 22 - 24 in AAA, he did not hit above .260, but he had a 10 HR season at 23 and a 15 HR season at 24.  Last year he put it together in AAA (.313 with 15 HR in 192 ABs) and did OK in his call up (8 HR over 286 ABs). 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Josh Reddick, Colby Rasmus or Brandon Belt as my 4th OF'er the rest of the way?

Offline sportsfan882

Reddick

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

rasmus.

Offline nobleisthyname

Belt  :lol: (but seriously, Belt)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
harrumph!!  Angels conspire to cost my CJ Wilson a desperately needed win.  Kendrick botches a dp ball, ump botches a call at home plate, to charge CJ with an unearned run that my website has as earned, then Isringhausen gives up the tieing run the next inning, then the LAA blow the game open after that.  Harrumph!

Offline hammondsnats

okay, so i've been offered Adam LaRoche/Erik Bedard for Jed Lowrie/Trevor Bauer.

Obviously the pitchers are throw-ins, as they both have had their fair share of difficulties. 

My other 1B is Allen Craig, so I could use the help (although my only other SS at the current moment is Brandon Crawford).  I can move Craig to utility or OF, adding a power bat in LaRoche. 

The guy also has Kevin Correia, so 1) would you rather have Correia or Bedard?  and 2) should i make the deal?

If it were a keeper league, I'd say hell no (seeing how Bauer is going to be a stud).  But seeing how it's his first year and he's struggled in his first couple starts, it may be wise to pick up an inning eating veteran in Correia/Bedard.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I'd make it.

Lowrie over Crawford is bigger than LaRoche over Craig (if that's a downgrade at all)

Offline hammondsnats

I'd make it.

Lowrie over Crawford is bigger than LaRoche over Craig (if that's a downgrade at all)

I know Crawford isn't great, but adding LaRoche's pop is nice and he/Lowrie have similar numbers. 

thanks for the input.  i may have to snag correia instead of bedard.

Offline hammondsnats

okay, do I play Alex Presley or Carlos Gomez this week?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
okay, do I play Alex Presley or Carlos Gomez this week?

You quit.

There has to be someone better out there on the FA market.

Offline hammondsnats

You quit.

There has to be someone better out there on the FA market.

Nobody.  It's a ten team NL only league w/ like 28 roster spots. 

I also have Tyler Moore, but nats aren't facing a lot of lefties this week, so I thought Gomez vs. Presley is the better play.  I'm going with Presley right now.  Would love to play Moore ... but he's just not getting enough game action.

Offline hammondsnats

Re: General Fantasy Baseball Advice Thread (2012)
« Reply #44: August 05, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »
travis snider or alex presley?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #45: August 06, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »
travis snider or alex presley?

nevermind that ... do i play travis snider or domonic brown this week?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #46: August 06, 2012, 06:46:36 PM »
nevermind that ... do i play travis snider or domonic brown this week?

Brown, I guess.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47: August 06, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »
I botched my season today.  what I should have done is trade Middlebrooks and Beckett for Kendry Morales and Buchholz, and trade CJ Wilson and a scrub for Morneau and R. Soriano. It's a salary cap / dynasty league, and Morales and Buchholz are in their last year, while MDBK is in his first at $10 (for next two years / more if kept longer) and Wilson at $9 and kept for next year.  Lots of value that I could have unpacked for a second closer, increased O, and a pitcher who now is doing about as well as Wilson.

Instead, I traded MDBK, Beckett, and 2 extra parts for Ichiro and howie kendrick plus 2 spare parts.  Could still do the Morneau deal, but I can't get the make piece of Buchholz for Wilson.