Author Topic: Thinking about getting a new dog  (Read 12001 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: Thinking about getting a new dog
« Reply #75: July 07, 2011, 11:21:26 AM »
how did you retaliate?

I was 3 so there was not a lot I could do. I know my parents did something, stopped short of a lawsuit, but they never went into details about it. Adding insult to injury my sisters picked a Pekingese Poodle and named it "Pretty". Granted if you have kids, that was a kind and patient dog.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #76: July 07, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »
Getting back to greyhounds, my family is in the retired greyhounds adoption business so if anyone wants one let me know...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #77: July 07, 2011, 12:10:57 PM »
Getting back to greyhounds, my family is in the retired greyhounds adoption business so if anyone wants one let me know...

I might get back to you later on that, we have a six month old baby now, so not good timing, but I do like sight hounds

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #78: July 07, 2011, 12:15:31 PM »
how did you retaliate?

+1 for this question.

I was 3 so there was not a lot I could do. I know my parents did something, stopped short of a lawsuit, but they never went into details about it. Adding insult to injury my sisters picked a Pekingese Poodle and named it "Pretty". Granted if you have kids, that was a kind and patient dog.

oops, nvm.

Offline blue911

« Reply #79: July 07, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
how did you retaliate?

Have the Turtle explain VORP to them?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #80: July 07, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »
If ever there is grounds for a legit rage killing... That situation would have been it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #81: July 07, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »

My parents, big time dog people, dogsat a miniature greyhound a few weeks ago and didn't want to give it back. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #82: July 07, 2011, 03:11:46 PM »
I would have put a cap in someone's ass.

QFT

Adding insult to injury my sisters picked a Pekingese Poodle and named it "Pretty".  

That's enough to retaliate even years later. That cancels out the statute of limitations.  :lol:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #83: July 07, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
Have the Turtle explain VORP to them?

Literally.... :lmao:

Offline saltydad

« Reply #84: July 11, 2011, 01:51:33 AM »
A good friend had a Great Pyrenees. A wonderful dog, but she did slobber everywhere.

BTW, they are great with cats, becoming friends or ignoring them.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #85: July 11, 2011, 08:20:49 AM »
Probably said this before.  ANIMAL PLANET DOGS 101will tell you about health, grooming,  exercise and which breeds are good with kids.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #86: July 11, 2011, 09:29:44 AM »
I have a female German Shepherd. She's the first G. Shepherd that I've ever owned and I can't see myself ever owning a different breed now. One added bonus...breaking into my house would not be a good idea. That dog would tear someone to shreds.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #87: July 11, 2011, 09:58:33 AM »
Probably said this before.  ANIMAL PLANET DOGS 101will tell you about health, grooming,  exercise and which breeds are good with kids.

AKC has a link that allows you to enter your likes/needs (shedding/hypoallergenic/size, children, home size, time to exercise, etc.) and you will get 3 or 4 breeds that may work for you.

« Reply #88: July 11, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »

Where are you located?  I have been wanting a Saluki but cannot locate any.  Greyhounds are basically short-haired Saluki's right?  I've been thinking about possibly getting a Greyhound, especially considering the amount in need of rescue.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #89: July 11, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »
Where are you located?  I have been wanting a Saluki but cannot locate any.  Greyhounds are basically short-haired Saluki's right?  I've been thinking about possibly getting a Greyhound, especially considering the amount in need of rescue.

Greyhounds are wonderful dogs, affectionate, don't need a lot of space. Run around and play or go on a nice walk and then they're ready for a nap on something soft. You would be doing a great service in rescuing one of these sweet dogs.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #90: July 11, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
You have that wrong. Salukis are basically long-haired greyhounds. :)

Kidding aside, I've heard great things about greyhounds as pets.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #91: July 11, 2011, 08:27:11 PM »
I met a lady a couple of nights ago who had just adopted a Greyhound. The poor guy was scared to death of my Beagles. He's probably just freaked out about his new surroundings. He was retired from the race track when he turned two so he must not have been very fast.  :lol:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #92: July 11, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »
Greyhounds are timid by nature, as I understand it. It could probably sense that your beagles just wanted to "bang" it. :D
I met a lady a couple of nights ago who had just adopted a Greyhound. The poor guy was scared to death of my Beagles. He's probably just freaked out about his new surroundings. He was retired from the race track when he turned two so he must not have been very fast.  :lol:

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #93: July 11, 2011, 09:06:55 PM »
Greyhounds are timid by nature, as I understand it. It could probably sense that your beagles just wanted to "bang" it. :D

Spider's Beagles were gonna crush that poor dog. Two on one.  :lol:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #94: December 06, 2011, 12:16:27 AM »
Well, the wife and I adopted a dog on Saturday. We adopted an approximately 3 year old female German-Shepherd/Rottweiler mix at a Humane Society adoption "clinic" at a local store. Surprisingly, it was mostly due to my wife who has been ardently opposed to getting a dog for some time now. The dog, Nikki is very sweet and is quite intelligent. She also appears to have been pretty well trained as we've had no accidents and she has had no problem with being in a crate either. I haven't even needed to use a leash most of the time. The cats however, are pissed :lol: They are getting a little better adjusted to her, but still hide unless she's outside or in the crate.

Pics to follow.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #95: December 06, 2011, 12:29:51 AM »
What a great looking dog!  And yes, the cat looks pissed  :lol:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #96: December 06, 2011, 12:31:35 AM »
What a great looking dog!  And yes, the cat looks pissed  :lol:

Actually, Rocky (the cat) was the only one with the stones to come out and meet her. The other cat, Slimmy, was a growling, hissing ball of rage :lol: It's funny hearing a cat growl.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #97: December 06, 2011, 12:33:15 AM »
I want a klee Kai :-/

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #98: December 06, 2011, 09:48:27 AM »
Well, the wife and I adopted a dog on Saturday. We adopted an approximately 3 year old female German-Shepherd/Rottweiler mix at a Humane Society adoption "clinic" at a local store. Surprisingly, it was mostly due to my wife who has been ardently opposed to getting a dog for some time now. The dog, Nikki is very sweet and is quite intelligent. She also appears to have been pretty well trained as we've had no accidents and she has had no problem with being in a crate either. I haven't even needed to use a leash most of the time. The cats however, are pissed :lol: They are getting a little better adjusted to her, but still hide unless she's outside or in the crate.

Nice  ...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #99: December 06, 2011, 10:15:40 AM »
The cat looks like it's about to take a swipe at the dog :lol:

Cute dog!