Author Topic: Strasburg in October..  (Read 46460 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Strasburg in October..
« Reply #675: August 14, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »
I'm comfortable with letting Dr. Yocum decide what's the best rehabilitation regimen.

I agree. Before going farther, look up Tom Cheney, and consider who owns the major league record for striking out the most batters (21) in a game. Then consider the pitching the Senators might have had if Gil Hodges had pulled Cheney after nine innings.

Gio + JZimm + EJackson + Detwiler + Lannan (for two or three starts) is a good enough rotation to win the NL East. After that, you could have Tom Seaver and Jerry Koosman and still lose a series.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #676: August 14, 2012, 09:55:08 PM »
That's funny. http://deadspin.com/5934761?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I heard Mike and Mike coming from someones car with Mike Greenberg talking nonsense on the subject this morning

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #677: August 15, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »
I did not listen to the podcast link Blue posted, but I think he pointed out that the treatment of JZ and Strasburg helped sign Giolito.  At some point, a reputation for taking care of a player's long term health may help you with signings.  The fact that there are not many other organizations who would be as protective of the player in this situation will help them convince parents to have their kids give up scholarships and sign in a capped draft budget environment.  This could be an organizational advantage.

We joke about how many pitchers the nats sign who have throwing motions that raise red flags for other organizations and talent evaluators.  Well, if you are going with that approach, and you couple it with this sort of bull-headedness about following Yocum / Andrews recommendations, then you are going to be able to draft and sign more Purkes, Meyers, and Giolitos with very high end potential.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #678: August 15, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »
I did not listen to the podcast link Blue posted, but I think he pointed out that the treatement of JZ and Strasburg helped sign Giolito.  At some point, a reputation for taking care of a player's long term health may help you with signings.  The fact that there are not many other organizations who would be as protective of the player in this situation will help them convince parents to have their kids give up scholarships and sign in a capped draft budget environment.  This could be an organizational advantage.

We joke about how many pitchers the nats sign who have throwing motions that raise red flags for other organizations and talent evaluators.  Well, if you are going with that approach, and you couple it with this sort of bull-headedness about following Yocum / Andrews recommendations, then you are going to be able to draft and sign more Purkes, Meyers, and Giolitos with very high end potential.
:clap:

Offline markfnc

« Reply #679: August 15, 2012, 12:16:28 PM »
I did not listen to the podcast link Blue posted, but I think he pointed out that the treatment of JZ and Strasburg helped sign Giolito.  At some point, a reputation for taking care of a player's long term health may help you with signings.  The fact that there are not many other organizations who would be as protective of the player in this situation will help them convince parents to have their kids give up scholarships and sign in a capped draft budget environment.  This could be an organizational advantage.

He was talking with Leo Mazone former pitching coach of the Braves / Orioles.  I would trust his judgement on the subject a little bit.  Mazone thinks he should keep pitching if he feels ok.  He talked about pithcing Glavine and Smoltz 200+ innings when they were young etc.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #680: August 15, 2012, 12:18:49 PM »
He talked about pithcing Glavine and Smoltz 200+ innings when they were young etc.

Did someone explain to him that being young and being young/recovering from TJ surgery are not the same things?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #681: August 15, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »
ESPN just ran a feature that absolutely ripped the Nats. Had a bunch of guests like Andre Dawson and others who basically laughed at the idea that (a) we would even shut him down and (b) the Nats thinking we can win without him. They're acting like the Nats are some dog sh-t team that has won only games started by Strasburg.

Why not fair coverage? Why not mention our Team ERA minus Strasburg is still best in the majors? Why not mention Jordan Zimmermann's success? Why not mention the credentials of Davey Johnson? Why not mention how far this team has risen under Mike Rizzo?

Shut Strasburg down and then kick everyone's ass after the fact. If our guys get scared and collapse because Strasburg is shut down then trade them all because they're a bunch of ASSCLOWNS.

The other 24 guys on this team plus John Lannan are more than good enough to circles the wagons and continue to win games. Lots of games. I'll take our 1-2-3-4 of Gio-ZNN-Det-EJax over almost anyone the Nats will play in the playoffs. I think this team will shock the rest of the majors post-Strasburg shutdown. This party isn't ending for many years.

Offline blue911

« Reply #682: August 15, 2012, 12:25:09 PM »
He was talking with Leo Mazone former pitching coach of the Braves / Orioles.  I would trust his judgement on the subject a little bit.  Mazone thinks he should keep pitching if he feels ok.  He talked about pithcing Glavine and Smoltz 200+ innings when they were young etc.

Steve Avery wasn't even mentioned? Leo may be a fine pitching coach, but he isn't even close to Dr. Yocum class of medical expert.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #683: August 15, 2012, 12:25:22 PM »
ESPN just ran a feature that absolutely ripped the Nats. Had a bunch of guests like Andre Dawson and others who basically laughed at the idea that (a) we would even shut him down and (b) the Nats thinking we can win without him. They're acting like the Nats are some dog sh-t team that has won only games started by Strasburg.

Why not fair coverage? Why not mention our Team ERA minus Strasburg is still best in the majors? Why not mention Jordan Zimmermann's success? Why not mention the credentials of Davey Johnson? Why not mention how far this team has risen under Mike Rizzo?

Shut Strasburg down and then kick everyone's ass after the fact. If our guys get scared and collapse because Strasburg is shut down then trade them all because they're a bunch of ASSCLOWNS.

The other 24 guys on this team plus John Lannan are more than good enough to circles the wagons and continue to win games. Lots of games. I'll take our 1-2-3-4 of Gio-ZNN-Det-EJax over almost anyone the Nats will play in the playoffs. I think this team will shock the rest of the majors post-Strasburg shutdown. This party isn't ending for many years.

We'll get fair coverage when we win the World Series without Stras.  Then the four-letter-network will run feel-good stories centering on, "how good will this team be next year when Strasburg does pitch in the post-season?"

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #684: August 15, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
I trust the legion of experts in the medical and baseball field consulted by the Washington Nationals organization in making the decision they made. I also believe in replicating the path to success of Jordan Zimmermann.

Mazzone is an assistant coach, not a doctor.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #685: August 15, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »

the team is doing something that's never been done before- why are you surprised 'old school' baseball guys think it's abusrd? Most national writers who support it are tepid at best, only the local writers seem to have wholly bought in

Offline blue911

« Reply #686: August 15, 2012, 12:28:08 PM »
We'll get fair coverage when we win the World Series without Stras.  Then the four-letter-network will run feel-good stories centering on, "how good will this team be next year when Strasburg does pitch in the post-season?"

I expect the "spit on it guys" to deride the decision. When they played, teams didn't have the money invested nor was the field of sports medicine as far advanced. Frankly, I look at the old timers much like I view the anti-inoculation crowd. Uninformed by choice.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #687: August 15, 2012, 12:30:55 PM »
I love the optimism!

:clap:

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #688: August 15, 2012, 12:35:46 PM »
Of course, where is the evidence that more than 160 or 180 IP after TJ is harmful? that's right, its non-existant. Thats why shutting him down is absurd

Offline blue911

« Reply #689: August 15, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »
Of course, where is the evidence that more than 160 or 180 IP after TJ is harmful? that's right, its non-existant. Thats why shutting him down is absurd

No what's absurd is not listening to expert medical advice.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #690: August 15, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
I'm sure you've done more research than the Nationals organization.

The bench mark is it worked perfectly with Jordan Zimmermann.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #691: August 15, 2012, 12:46:06 PM »
No what's absurd is not listening to expert medical advice.
it seems like most teams do

All of these men made it clear that, although they're following this story, they would never tell any team what to do. It's not their team, their pitcher, their patient.

:shock:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8253442/shut-stephen-strasburg-just-let-pitch

aside from my snark, this is a really good article that probably has already been posted

Offline blue911

« Reply #692: August 15, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »
it seems like most teams do

:shock:

aside from my snark, this is a really good article that probably has already been posted

The fact that most teams don't listen is why so people medical experts are behind the Nats plan. I don't think anybody believes its perfect but it's past time to get players health issues away from the johhny jockstraps of the world.

Offline blue911

« Reply #693: August 15, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »
The Jayson Stark piece is the best article written to date.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #694: August 15, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »

Anyone who denies the existance of parallel universes in an intellectually stunted baboon. :whip:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #696: August 15, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
The "rub dirt on it guys" guys would never have to make the decision, because the Tommy John candidates would not exist. Back in the day, if you tore your ligaments, you were done, your career was over.

I'm glad the lives of the rest of the teams, commentators, talking heads etc., is so boring they have nothing better to do than be all in the middle of the Nats Life.  Like they give a crap. It's the Nats call, they're going to make it. Why do they care? Did someone steal their lunch money on the playground or something?

All I have to say to them is Quit your damn whining, this is not about you

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #697: August 15, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »
The "rub dirt on it guys" guys would never have to make the decision, because the Tommy John candidates would not exist. Back in the day, if you tore your ligaments, you were done, your career was over.

I'm glad the lives of the rest of the teams, commentators, talking heads etc., is so boring they have nothing better to do than be all in the middle of the Nats Life.  Like they give a crap. It's the Nats call, they're going to make it. Why do they care? Did someone steal their lunch money on the playground or something?

All I have to say to them is Quit your damn whining, this is not about you

so you object to baseball commentators commenting on baseball?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #698: August 15, 2012, 01:12:53 PM »
so you object to baseball commentators commenting on baseball?

I object to them acting like it's a personal affront to the game of baseball everywhere, if we shut down Strasburg.

It's a business decision being made by a baseball club.

Get over it. Damn

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #699: August 15, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
It's a business decision being made by a baseball club.

Get over it. Damn

Is that Rizzo's speech to guys like Zimmerman and LaRoche?