Author Topic: P-Nats near deal with county for new stadium  (Read 6631 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: P-Nats near deal with county for new stadium
« Reply #25: March 03, 2008, 04:26:59 PM »
A better comparison is the

LOS ANGELES ANGELS OF ANAHEIM  :stupid: :doh: :spaz:

The New England Patriots :stupid:

Offline blue911

« Reply #26: March 03, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »
Florida Marlins,Texas Rangers,Tennesse Titans,Golden State Warriors,Indiana Pacers seems like quite a few teams use a similar naming protocol.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #27: March 03, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »
Florida Marlins,Texas Rangers,Tennesse Titans,Golden State Warriors,Indiana Pacers seems like quite a few teams use a similar naming protocol.

Are they all eating cookies?  (Have they joined the Dark Side?)  LOL

natsfan1a

« Reply #29: March 03, 2008, 05:14:38 PM »
Thin Mints. mmmmm.... :lol:

Are they all eating cookies?  (Have they joined the Dark Side?)  LOL

Offline Natskins

« Reply #30: March 03, 2008, 07:44:03 PM »

Those are lame too. Why call yourself Florida when you play in Miami?

Even still, at least each of those teams plays in the state they claim to play in. The P-Nats don't play in the Potomac, unless this new stadium will be built on a boat. :)

Offline Why Not?

« Reply #31: March 05, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »
I lived there when the team moved to "Davis Ford Park." I always thought they should have been the Dale City Pirates.

Historical footnote: I saw the first pro game Barry Bonds played, same with Jeff King. But the game I remember most was when a fan got hit in the back of the head by a line drive down the LF line. He was holding a baby and dropped the baby THROUGH the bleachers and onto the gravel underneath. They put up that netting soon afterwards.

MrMadison

« Reply #32: March 05, 2008, 04:08:33 PM »
Those are lame too. Why call yourself Florida when you play in Miami?

they'll be Miami starting next season. (right NatsAddict?)

infact, I am going to make a conscious effort to get used to calling them Miami even this season.

natsfan1a

« Reply #33: March 05, 2008, 04:12:11 PM »
That would be memorable. Hope that the fan and the baby were both okay.

But the game I remember most was when a fan got hit in the back of the head by a line drive down the LF line. He was holding a baby and dropped the baby THROUGH the bleachers and onto the gravel underneath. They put up that netting soon afterwards.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #34: March 05, 2008, 04:44:15 PM »
they'll be Miami starting next season. (right NatsAddict?)

infact, I am going to make a conscious effort to get used to calling them Miami even this season.

They will become the Miami Marlins "before" moving into the stadium, which is 2011.  The are already working on new uniforms, and the consensus is, that the name change will be next year.  For whatever reason, Loria is bringing a lot of nauseating orange into the team colors.  Even the official site has a lot more orange than any other color.

The Marlins have never yet played in Miami.  Most visiting teams fly into and stay in Ft. Lauderdale as it is much closer to the current stadium than is Miami.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #35: March 05, 2008, 05:38:27 PM »
They will become the Miami Marlins "before" moving into the stadium, which is 2011.  The are already working on new uniforms, and the consensus is, that the name change will be next year.  For whatever reason, Loria is bringing a lot of nauseating orange into the team colors.  Even the official site has a lot more orange than any other color.  The Marlins have never yet played in Miami.  Most visiting teams fly into and stay in Ft. Lauderdale as it is much closer to the current stadium than is Miami.
I wonder if Florida oranges have any kind of influence on that, for subtle sponsorship purposes...

I know that several years ago, I found it much cheaper to fly to Ft Lauderdale, rent a car there, and then drive to Miami.  Miami Int'l Airport was under virtual control of American Airlines at the time, who were milking that for what they could.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #36: March 05, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »
^ that girl's gonna have some big time back problems some day. :lol:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #37: March 09, 2008, 07:13:40 PM »
Because they want to appeal to a broader fan base then just Prince William County

Brief History Off the top of my head.  Forget when they started using Potomac instead of Prince William (PW)

Alexandria Dukes - Seattle
Prince William - Pirates - Pittsburgh - Bonds
PW - Yankees - NY - Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada,
PW - Cannons - Chicago White Sox - Magglio Ordonez
PW - Cannons - St. Louis Cards - Rick Ankiel (Pujols may have come thru here but not for long)
Potomac - Cannons - Reds
Potomac - Nationals

I'd have to check the Potomac Nationals Website to research the teams.  I may have St. Louis and Cincinnati turned around.  Not sure
They actually started being a Pirates affiliate in Alexandria the year before they moved to Prince William...I have the cap to prove it.   8)  They were named the Cannons while they were still a Yankees organization (the team logo was a Civil War Cannon).  Yes, Albert Pujols played there in addition to Andy Pettitte.

The photos on the baseball reference link are mine...

along with the original logo  :arrow: http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Alexandria_Dukes

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #38: March 10, 2008, 04:01:28 AM »
Thanks Sens.  I stand corrected!  In fact, I made the modifications to my original post (in red of course, just like a former teacher).  ;)

Didn't do too bad a job considering all that info was off the top of my head.  :roll:

I lived in Centreville in 1983 and PW County in 1987.  So, I watched a game or 2 when they were Pirates.  I used to go every 4th of July but haven't since the NATS have played on that date.

Offline Why Not?

« Reply #39: March 11, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »
As a kid in the late 1980s, a friend's father was a season-ticket holder. He had seats right by the home dugout. The thing is, he was terribly obese, so he couldn't fit his butt between the armrests. The team agreed to remove an armrest if he bought two tickets.

Since he normally attended games by himself, he always had an extra ticket. At that time, the team allowed you to trade unused box seat tickets for a general admission. They also would let you in if you returned a BP home run ball from beyond the OF fence. So I pretty much never paid to get into the ballpark!

bbq552

« Reply #40: April 07, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »
no but would like to get to one. We have marrero up there