Author Topic: Realignment being discussed?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Realignment being discussed?
« Topic Start: June 11, 2011, 04:20:26 PM »
Per Buster, so consider the source...

Quote from: Buster Olney on ESPN.com
A simple form of realignment being seriously considered has been raised in the labor talks between Major League Baseball and the players' association, according to four sources: two leagues of 15 teams, rather than the current structure of 16 teams in the National League and 14 in the American League.

According to a highly ranked executive, one consideration that has been raised in ownership committee meetings is eliminating the divisions altogether, so that 15 AL and 15 NL teams would vie for five playoff spots within each league. Currently, Major League Baseball has six divisions.

A source who has been briefed on the specifics of the labor discussions says that the players' union has indicated that it is open to the idea of two 15-team leagues, but that the whole plan still hasn't been talked through or presented to the owners.

"I'd still say the odds of it happening are less than 50-50," one source said.

A sticking point involves interleague play. Because of the odd number of teams in each league, it is possible that a team in contention late in the season will have to be playing its final games in interleague play.

One of the biggest issues that would have to be resolved in any realignment resulting in two 15-team leagues is which of the National League teams would switch to the American League.

Two highly ranked executives believe the Houston Astros would be a possibility, because a switch to the AL for Houston would foster a rivalry between the Astros and the Texas Rangers.

"There are still a lot of details that would have to be discussed," one source said.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Realignment being discussed?
« Reply #1: June 11, 2011, 04:22:57 PM »
Hopefully the presence of Baltimore means we never switch.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2: June 11, 2011, 04:32:20 PM »
Unless they try to create a rivalry :roll:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #3: June 11, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »
I would hope so. Send the Brewers back to the AL, just have interleague games throughout the season (they do that in sports like football and basketball - granted, there are no rule differences, but there's no need to put them altogether). I also like the idea of getting rid of divisions... everything good except for the five playoff spots. Go back to leagues and have the top 2 play in the LCS.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #4: June 11, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »
Maybe it's just that I'm getting older and more resistant to change, but I don't like this idea.

Question - what happens to the "division rivalries" if this kind of format were adopted?  Right now teams within divisions play each other a lot more than teams in other divisions.  Presumably that would be evened out? ~4 series per year against every team in the league instead of the current 6/2 division/league format?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #5: June 11, 2011, 04:44:02 PM »
Hopefully the presence of Baltimore means we never switch.

I would absolutely hate this, but watching Angelos flip his crap might make it worth it.

Also, I'm not in favor of this idea.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #6: June 11, 2011, 05:01:58 PM »
Maybe it's just that I'm getting older and more resistant to change, but I don't like this idea.

Question - what happens to the "division rivalries" if this kind of format were adopted?  Right now teams within divisions play each other a lot more than teams in other divisions.  Presumably that would be evened out? ~4 series per year against every team in the league instead of the current 6/2 division/league format?

This is good - it is unfair to play all the East teams so many times when the Central teams are suckier.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #7: June 11, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
This must happen, it is unfair to the NL teams to have to compete with more teams for the same number of playoff slots.  The Brewers should be the ones to switch, but I'd have no problem with the Astros moving over.

The playoffs will then be expanded to six team from each league.  Over the course of 19 days, each team will play each other team three times on consecutive days, with four off days between each series.  The team that wins the most games goes to the WS, with a single elimination playoff for ties.  The NL and AL will start their playoffs one day after the other, so that each day there is a minimum of three games being played and a maximum of six.  Lots and lots of games each day, with a premium on deep starting rotations and bullpens, and a chance for teams that get off to a bad start to fight their way back.

The top seeds will have four home series (12 games), the 2nd and third seeds will have three home series, the 4th and 5th will have two, and the 6th will have one home series, providing a great advantage to the regular season winners.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #8: June 11, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »

means less phillies and marlins :az:

i hope we'd stick in NL though. 

i love 5 playoff teams.  i wish each league had 6 playoff teams!!!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: June 11, 2011, 05:56:59 PM »
This must happen, it is unfair to the NL teams to have to compete with more teams for the same number of playoff slots.  The Brewers should be the ones to switch, but I'd have no problem with the Astros moving over.

The playoffs will then be expanded to six team from each league.  Over the course of 19 days, each team will play each other team three times on consecutive days, with four off days between each series.  The team that wins the most games goes to the WS, with a single elimination playoff for ties.  The NL and AL will start their playoffs one day after the other, so that each day there is a minimum of three games being played and a maximum of six.  Lots and lots of games each day, with a premium on deep starting rotations and bullpens, and a chance for teams that get off to a bad start to fight their way back.

The top seeds will have four home series (12 games), the 2nd and third seeds will have three home series, the 4th and 5th will have two, and the 6th will have one home series, providing a great advantage to the regular season winners.

I can't see the Astros moving since Texas already has an al team, brewers seem to make the most sense, but Colorado or Arizona could work too since there is no al team between texas and California

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #10: June 11, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »
I can't see the Astros moving since Texas already has an al team, brewers seem to make the most sense, but Colorado or Arizona could work too since there is no al team between texas and California

Dallas and Houston are further apart than DC and Philly :shrug:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: June 11, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »
Dallas and Houston are further apart than DC and Philly :shrug:

true but, Miami and Tampa aren't exactly close either

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #12: June 11, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
I'm just waiting for the single table in the AL and 4 teams from the old AL East make it.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #13: June 11, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
Send the Phillies to the A.L. and the season will be so much nicer without their jerk phans coming to town.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #14: June 11, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »

Colorado as an AL club?  That certainly would be interesting.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #15: June 12, 2011, 09:23:11 AM »
means less phillies and marlins :az:

And more Yankees and Red Sox.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #16: June 20, 2011, 07:17:01 AM »
Move the Dodgers to NY; eliminate the Mets. Maybe something more serious: eliminate the cities that just don't belong in MLB. Miami? Denver? Who else?

Cut the extra round of playoffs. Three rounds is bad...four rounds is impossible.

Finally, eliminate the DH. It pains me to see minor league players "playing" DH.  Make the pitcher a ballplayer.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #17: June 20, 2011, 10:17:15 AM »
Unfortunately, it's more likely that they implement the DH across baseball. If they do that, I'm done with baseball.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #18: June 20, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
Finally, eliminate the DH. It pains me to see minor league players "playing" DH.  Make the pitcher a ballplayer.
Unfortunately, it's more likely that they implement the DH across baseball. If they do that, I'm done with baseball.

I have been lisening a lot to XM-89 and this topic is really being discussed as a topic for the next CBA and unfortunately PatsNats28 is right.  It's looking more likely that the NL will get the DH.  I actually really love that both leagues are different.  I hope they don't change it at all.

Move the Dodgers to NY; eliminate the Mets. Maybe something more serious: eliminate the cities that just don't belong in MLB. Miami? Denver? Who else?

I don't recall who, but a former commissioner told the media once that expanding baseball into Florida was a horrible idea and that the only city where it might work would be Orlando.  He's looking like a prophet now.

I'd just contract the Marlins and Rays and call it good.  Go back to two leagues, two divisions, seven teams per division.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #19: June 20, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »
I'd just contract the Marlins and Rays and call it good.  Go back to two leagues, two divisions, seven teams per division.

No way, what am I going to do in South Beach when I finally wise up and become a mid-level cocaine cowboy?!?!?!?!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #20: June 20, 2011, 11:41:50 AM »
I'd be shocked if Miami-Dade did not get some sort of anti-contraction language when it agreed to build a new park for the fishies.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #21: June 20, 2011, 12:58:11 PM »
I don't recall who, but a former commissioner told the media once that expanding baseball into Florida was a horrible idea and that the only city where it might work would be Orlando.  He's looking like a prophet now.

Orlando would've been a great choice.  They would've gotten support from both coasts and there's a lot of open space they could still build the park by the water (there's that entertainment complex which is nice).

It's amazing that Miami doesn't support the team more.  They've had some good ones over the past and the warm weather (minus a few showers) around the year has to be nice.  I know there's tons of other things to do like the beach, beach and avoiding getting killed by Dexter ... but outside of that it's a shame they don't turn out higher attendance figures.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #22: June 20, 2011, 03:45:44 PM »
No way, what am I going to do in South Beach when I finally wise up and become a mid-level cocaine cowboy?!?!?!?!

You've seen the documentary?  You've seen the life expectancy for that profession?  Except for the guys flying the planes, they had it made.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #23: June 20, 2011, 03:53:38 PM »
I think baseball can work in Miami.  Tampa?  Yeah, that's gonna fail.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #24: June 20, 2011, 04:26:57 PM »
It'd actually have to be located in Tampa before I can declare it a failure.