Author Topic: Define Natitude  (Read 118468 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
It's also colder. Which affects teams that don't play in homerun happy parks.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Why would the playoffs be any different than regular season games?

Why are the Yankees constantly sighted for the same problem?

Because you stop facing #5's in the playoffs... and you can no longer pad your HR stats.

Aces tend to keep the ball in the park more.

Offline HalfSmokes

At the same time aces tend to throw strikes,  so teams who are reliant on walks for obp may struggle too- I'm comfortable with this team heading into the post season

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Fielding. Good fielding makes a huge difference in October. Some teams get tense. Others get better. This team doesn't make many fielding mistakes.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Pitching is better in the playoffs.

That doesn't explain why home run hitting teams suddenly would be at disadvantage.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Why are the Yankees constantly sighted for the same problem?

Because you stop facing #5's in the playoffs... and you can no longer pad your HR stats.

Aces tend to keep the ball in the park more.

Do you mean "cited"?

Of course aces keep the ball in the park more, that's why they're aces.  I wouldn't expect to score as many runs, but neither will the teams we face.  I don't really see how this puts us suddenly at a competitive disadvantage versus the regular season.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Do you mean to point out mistakes for others to laugh at?

I don't know if I even agree with it. Yet, its always brought up when discussing the Yankees chances.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Do you mean to point out mistakes for others to laugh at?

I don't know if I even agree with it. Yet, its always brought up when discussing the Yankees chances.

I'm not saying there's nothing to it, but I'm very skeptical of some of that folk wisdom surrounding differences in playoff baseball vs regular season.  Same teams, same parks, but now it's different?   

Perhaps if the Nats have a killer #5 starter while other teams #5's are awful, and the Nats make the playoffs due to that competitive advantage, then I could see that that particular advantage is nulified by the playoff format to an extent.  But most teams don't ride the success of their #5's to the playoffs, so I would tend to think this a bit insignificant.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Define Natitude: x-Washington
« Reply #1608: September 20, 2012, 10:08:29 PM »
What time does the team store open?  Looks like I've got lunch plans tomorrow.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1609: September 20, 2012, 10:10:36 PM »
Love the new thread title! :clap:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1610: September 20, 2012, 10:14:44 PM »
Love the new thread title! :clap:

I've been sitting here for a half hour with that one queued up and ready to go.  Killing me that I couldn't be there tonight, I was counting on the double-header doing it last night.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1611: September 20, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1612: September 20, 2012, 10:23:10 PM »
I liked  :w: iNatitude on the shirts!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1613: September 20, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1614: September 20, 2012, 10:24:54 PM »

Offline Hogie

« Reply #1615: September 20, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »
It's a z!

(At least on ESPN)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1617: September 20, 2012, 10:33:30 PM »
It's a z!

(At least on ESPN)

That's the official MLB x.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1618: September 20, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »
this is all i want for Christmas (well, and a Nats 2012 World Series Champions  t-shirt that I don't have to buy from someone who stole them from an orphanage in South America).

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1619: September 24, 2012, 07:42:11 AM »
This guy is a "ballhawk" and a blogger on the official MLB site, he got booted out of Nats park last week for selling baseballs.  He caught 11 baseballs at the game and denies selling them (which is creditable considering that if he had sold baseballs in the past it would certainly have been noted in the comments in his blog or on Deadspin), but he was kicked out by security based on an anonymous report, likely from the gray beard usher down behind the visitors dugout who got mad at him for begging for too many balls.

Dude also ran into my hero Robin Ficker:

But let’s get back to the heckler for a moment. Halfway through the game, I learned that he was well known *for* heckling — so known, in fact, that he’s on Wikipedia. His name is Robin Ficker, and while I can see how his schtick might be annoying for the folks who sit near him day after day, I thought he was hilarious. Shane Victorino, tired of hearing Ficker shout stuff like, “VictoriNO!! NO!! NO!!” actually looked up into the stands and shushed him . . . twice! Ficker never insulted the players or used profanity, and that’s what made him so good. Any schmuck can yell “you suck,” but this guy was clever. And he had a booming voice. And the stadium was dead. And he was sitting in the 4th row, so everyone in the infield and in both dugouts could clearly hear what he was saying. Whenever Jayson Werth came to bat, Ficker shouted, “Get on base and Harper will drive you IN!!!” When Don Mattingly came out to make a pitching change, Ficker yelled, “You are in trouble, Mattingly! You guys are really in trouble!” At some random point when the Nationals were at bat, he bellowed, “Beat the Dodgers all the way back to Hollywood!!!” I guess he wasn’t THAT clever, but he was so goofy looking and had such an astounding voice and spoke slowly and annunciated all of his words with such clarity that it just . . . worked.

http://zackhample.mlblogs.com/2012/09/22/91912-at-nationals-park/

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1620: September 24, 2012, 07:58:31 AM »
That is the best outfit I have ever seen :lmao:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #1621: September 24, 2012, 08:26:46 AM »
I have a hard time believing that guy is much less annoying than any other heckler.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Define Natitude: Living Social
« Reply #1622: September 27, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »
Brilliant marketing, for a few grand bailing out the cheap as Lerner family they will get publicity worth hundreds of thousands.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1623: September 27, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »
Just heard this - what a great form of advertising for Living Social.  Is anyone on this board going to take a longer look now at Living Social ?

Brilliant marketing, for a few grand bailing out the cheap as Lerner family they will get publicity worth hundreds of thousands.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1624: September 27, 2012, 05:13:23 PM »
Someone care to explain what's going on?