Author Topic: Linux Thread  (Read 20782 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Linux Thread
« Reply #375: April 09, 2012, 07:39:14 PM »

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #376: April 10, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »
I guess you must prefer Windows 7 since that's where most of your hits are from :poke:
I'm on my gaming computer a lot. Since Linux isn't that mainstream video game developers don't spend time developing their games for it. If this were different, or if WINE was a bit more comprehensive, I would drop Windows entirely like a hot potato (it also helps that my gaming computer is really, really nice  8)) I'm curious though, where does it say my other hits are from?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #377: April 10, 2012, 09:52:28 AM »
I imagine I have a good mix at this point. I'm trying to stop using Safari on my home computer but habits are hard to break.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #378: April 10, 2012, 10:47:24 AM »
I imagine I have a good mix at this point. I'm trying to stop using Safari on my home computer but habits are hard to break.

You don't like the Mac versions of Chrome/Firefox/Opera/whatever?

I'm curious though, where does it say my other hits are from?

By my totally unscientific tally, 798 of your 807 server requests yesterday were from Windows.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #379: April 10, 2012, 10:51:30 AM »
83% of all server hits are from Windows

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #380: April 10, 2012, 11:07:45 AM »
You don't like the Mac versions of Chrome/Firefox/Opera/whatever?

I like Chrome. I just always hit the Safari icon in the dock. I've been trying to switch over to Chrome. I should probably just delete the Chrome icon.

Offline PC

« Reply #381: April 10, 2012, 11:47:30 AM »
Only slightly off topic...Safari for Windows is the biggest piece of crap around.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #382: April 10, 2012, 12:29:07 PM »
Love the title change.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #383: April 10, 2012, 12:30:51 PM »
lol.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #384: April 10, 2012, 12:31:37 PM »
By my totally unscientific tally, 798 of your 807 server requests yesterday were from Windows.

If you get a hit from me not on a Windows machine that means I'm slacking off on my work or I'm at home from school and didn't feel like lugging my desktop there.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #385: June 17, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »
Linus with a literal FU to NVIDIA. :lol:

Starts at 49:25.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #386: June 17, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
Linus with a literal FU to NVIDIA. :lol:

Starts at 49:25.

I thought you hated reddit ;)

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #387: June 17, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »
Saw it my LifeHacker RSS feed actually. Please feel free to resume attempting to organize the internet. :mg:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #388: September 04, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
So, I'm trying to switch an old Acer netbook of mine to Linux, because Windows just runs slower and slower as it gets upgraded. I picked a stable version of Linux Mint (13), downloaded it, and noticed that it wanted to run as a DVD image. So, I installed a DVD emulator and ran it. Seemed to work fine. It said I needed to reboot to finish the install, but when I rebooted, it wouldn't continue.

Do I need an external drive, do you think? I'm wondering if when I reboot to finish the install, it's trying to locate a DVD drive...

Thoughts? Do you recommend a different variant? I had hoped I'd be able to install Chrome, but it doesn't seem available for download/install.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #389: September 04, 2013, 04:13:11 PM »
Usually you download an .iso file which needs to be burned to disc (not just copied to disc, but burned as a disc image).  Then you can reboot with the disc in the drive and it should boot from the DVD, running the OS without installing or offering you the option to install to the hard drive.

If you have a netbook, I assume you have no optical drive.  It looks like Mint has a Windows installer for some of the heavier versions, allowing you to install from within Windows, but I've never used anything like that so I can't comment on how it works.

You'd probably want to use a lighter interface on a netbook, so even if you use the windows installer for one of the heavier versions, you'd probably want to install something like the xfce desktop environment.  Mint should have that available to install from it's "app store" type thingy.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #390: September 04, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »
Mint/KDE. Light, because I have crappy graphics in a now-weak netbook.

I installed that .iso file straight from the hard drive using a freeware DVD drive emulator.  Upon reboot, though, when asked if I want to run Windows or continue the install (I pick continue the install), it just stops. Of course, at this point, there's no freeware emulator running, and that .iso file is not mounted.

I have no optical drive, but I think one is in my future. They're cheap. I'm just trying to get encouragement that I could be on the right track.

You've given me enough of that. :)

Usually you download an .iso file which needs to be burned to disc (not just copied to disc, but burned as a disc image).  Then you can reboot with the disc in the drive and it should boot from the DVD, running the OS without installing or offering you the option to install to the hard drive.

If you have a netbook, I assume you have no optical drive.  It looks like Mint has a Windows installer for some of the heavier versions, allowing you to install from within Windows, but I've never used anything like that so I can't comment on how it works.

You'd probably want to use a lighter interface on a netbook, so even if you use the windows installer for one of the heavier versions, you'd probably want to install something like the xfce desktop environment.  Mint should have that available to install from it's "app store" type thingy.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #391: September 04, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
Mint/KDE. Light, because I have crappy graphics in a now-weak netbook.

I installed that .iso file straight from the hard drive using a freeware DVD drive emulator.  Upon reboot, though, when asked if I want to run Windows or continue the install (I pick continue the install), it just stops. Of course, at this point, there's no freeware emulator running, and that .iso file is not mounted.

I have no optical drive, but I think one is in my future. They're cheap. I'm just trying to get encouragement that I could be on the right track.

You've given me enough of that. :)

Ah, yeah I see now.  Yeah, it stops because it's looking for the "disc drive" but since the emulator isn't running, it doesn't find it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #392: September 04, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »
That's my theory. It's good enough to make me spend $30 on a cheap USB DVD drive.

Ah, yeah I see now.  Yeah, it stops because it's looking for the "disc drive" but since the emulator isn't running, it doesn't find it.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #393: September 04, 2013, 08:41:59 PM »
I've just started learning Python and we're using Linux... this thread is relevant to one more person on WNFF!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #394: September 04, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »
I've just started learning Python and we're using Linux... this thread is relevant to one more person on WNFF!

Job skills, teach yourself R and you will be all set.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #395: September 04, 2013, 08:52:24 PM »
I like how they even use spam as a variable name in the documentation online.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #396: September 04, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »
Job skills, teach yourself R and you will be all set.

R?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #397: September 04, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »
http://www.r-project.org

Statistical computing.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #398: September 05, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »
Linux Mint installed on my netbook. Smokin' fast (everything being relative). Thanks for the encouragement, Nathan.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #399: September 05, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
For even more speed, you could try some lighter DEs from the software repos (like xfce).  It's easily changeable as far as which one you wish to use by default.  I figured KDE would still be kind of slow on an old netbook.

Here's a little list of some of the more well known ones:

http://www.howtogeek.com/163154/linux-users-have-a-choice-8-linux-desktop-environments/