Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158069 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2275: September 26, 2012, 05:28:35 PM »
I'm not a fan of Noble Pils, but singling it out and claiming it's proof of Sam Adams not making good beer is like holding up Jesus Flores as proof that the Nats have a terrible line-up.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2276: September 26, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »
Noble Pils was replaced by a different spring beer this year, something like "Alpine Spring."   That name sounds like a hygiene product.  Without a side by side, I'm not sure if it was just a rebranding, but my recollection was that it might have been doctored with lemon and spices.   Meanwhile, It seemed like the Summer Ale was tougher to get rid of than in years past.

Sam Adams is in an odd place; to bud/Miller drinkers its not worth the premium and to people who care about hood beer,  it doesn't stack up to other offerings. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2277: September 26, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »
I'm not a fan of Noble Pils, but singling it out and claiming it's proof of Sam Adams not making good beer is like holding up Jesus Flores as proof that the Nats have a terrible line-up.

I like their summer Ale as a refreshing beer,  but almost every other beer they brew has a competitor making something far better at a similar price point

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2278: September 26, 2012, 05:39:58 PM »
I have a hard time finding anything as good as their Cream Stout for a similar price, but I guess I don't look that hard.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2279: September 26, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »
Have you tried Left Hand Milk Stout?

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2280: September 26, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »
I like their summer Ale as a refreshing beer,  but almost every other beer they brew has a competitor making something far better at a similar price point

I dunno...$6.99 for a sixer at the Sandinista Safeway ain't exactly Chimay. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2281: September 26, 2012, 08:05:22 PM »
had a dogfish IPA last week on tap at a bar in NYC.  very good beer.

Offline imref

« Reply #2282: September 26, 2012, 08:06:52 PM »

i find SA seasonals are widely available and reliably good.  I like the summer ale and oktoberfest brews the best.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2283: September 26, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »

Nope, I'll have to try it if I see it.

I'm having a Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre right now.  Good crap.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2284: September 26, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
Sam Adams is in an odd place; to bud/Miller drinkers its not worth the premium and to people who care about hood beer,  it doesn't stack up to other offerings. 

Sam Adams Boston Lager was my first foray into non-BMC stuff.  But at $9.00 a six pack now at my regular place, it's not worth it to me.  Yuengling is cheap and still pretty good IMO.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2285: September 26, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »
Sam Adams Boston Lager was my first foray into non-BMC stuff.  But at $9.00 a six pack now at my regular place, it's not worth it to me.  Yuengling is cheap and still pretty good IMO.

Brooklyn Lager.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2286: September 26, 2012, 09:32:45 PM »

!!!!!!!!!!!! I love LHMS. Vega outfitted the GOINFU bar with a keg of LHMS and my Lego character defected to their faction to drink some.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2287: September 27, 2012, 07:50:30 AM »
Brooklyn Lager.

That's was my wife's request after giving birth - really good stuff

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2288: September 27, 2012, 09:11:24 AM »
Noble Pils was replaced by a different spring beer this year, something like "Alpine Spring."[...]

Noble Pils was available this year (in fact they still had some on sale at Harris Teeter in Pentagon Row as recently as a week ago) and is still listed on their site: http://www.samueladams.com/beers/noble-pils/.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2289: September 27, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »
Dang.  Alpine Spring was what they pushed in ads and was widely available on the rotation of seasonal taps.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2290: September 27, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »
That's was my wife's request after giving birth - really good stuff

You have the best wife.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #2291: September 28, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
Noble Pils reminds me of another now-discontinued Sam Adams issue, Oregon IPA - the hops that just won't stop, and nice just for that, but it could stand a bit longer aging to develop proper flavour.

Couple of winters ago I made the mistake of using Nobile Pils in a pot of chili because it was the only beer I had on hand. I find the stuff reasonably drinkable, but it is decidedly NOT suitable for use in chili. Wound up throwing out a large portion of it.

On Wednesday my wife's office was closed for a Jewish holy day so we decided to play golf at Old Hickory down near Pfitzner Stadium (I had a Groupon). After the round we found Lagunitas IPA on tap in the clubhouse (not the Hop Stoopid, just the standard IPA). Good stuff that I hadn't previously had on tap. Much nicer than the Yuengling I normally wind up drinking after a round.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #2292: September 28, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »
would someone recommend a good place to buy large quantities of cheap beer? i'm talking a 30-rack of busch light. i've got a 3 day house party coming up this fall and need to bring some supplies, but my usual establishment does not sell cases. i live in montgomery county, in what the trendsetters would call "north bethesda". much appreciated.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2293: September 28, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »
would someone recommend a good place to buy large quantities of cheap beer? i'm talking a 30-rack of busch light. i've got a 3 day house party coming up this fall and need to bring some supplies, but my usual establishment does not sell cases. i live in montgomery county, in what the trendsetters would call "north bethesda". much appreciated.

Walmart? I'm serious, when I worked there I sold 24-packs of Busch, Coors, Miller, you name it.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #2294: September 28, 2012, 09:38:53 PM »
Walmart? I'm serious, when I worked there I sold 24-packs of Busch, Coors, Miller, you name it.

in maryland? didn't think you could buy alcohol in grocery stores here, or is walmart an exception to that rule?

Offline imref

« Reply #2295: September 28, 2012, 10:29:57 PM »

dixie liquors across the key bridge in georgetown, it was always our source for kegs.  Giant used to sell kegs too.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2296: September 28, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »
in maryland? didn't think you could buy alcohol in grocery stores here, or is walmart an exception to that rule?

Oh, I have no clue, I live in Texas, sorry.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2297: September 29, 2012, 01:00:01 AM »
Total Wine is a good place for kegs.  Also, restaurants that brew beer will sell kegs of their beer.  Then again, why not just go to the breweries - Chocolate City, DCBrau, or Port City ?

dixie liquors across the key bridge in georgetown, it was always our source for kegs.  Giant used to sell kegs too.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #2298: September 30, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »
you guys are surprisingly useless.  ;)

i'm going up to pa for a wedding in a couple weeks, i'll just pick up a couple of racks in my old neighborhood.

Total Wine is a good place for kegs.  Also, restaurants that brew beer will sell kegs of their beer.  Then again, why not just go to the breweries - Chocolate City, DCBrau, or Port City ?

a) don't want to deal with a keg.
2) this is just for getting freaking crap faced playing beer pong, flip cup, etc. not looking for a quality brew, just something light that goes down smooth. (there is also some sentimental value linking the busch light and the group of people that will be at the house)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2299: September 30, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »
Is pumpkin beer any good?

Oh and the Fairvrounds near Nats park had a beerfest sponsored by none other than living social!  Note to people on future beerfests.  When leaving on the Escalator at Ny metro.  DONT TRY TO WALK DOWN A MOVING ESCALATOR WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK!  YOU ENDANGER YOURSELVES AND OTHERS!