Author Topic: the MLB Network thread.  (Read 45528 times)

MrMadison

the MLB Network thread.
« Topic Start: November 22, 2008, 07:53:11 PM »
anyone else can't freakin wait for this thing to launch?  :worship: :worship:

MLB Network Members

* Trenni Kusnierek: Former Milwaukee Brewers sideline reporter for FSN Wisconsin, will serve as a reporter. [6]
(Image removed from quote.)

* Matt Vasgersian: Former San Diego Padres television announcer, Vasgersian will be the 'voice of MLB Network' and the lead host of both MLB Tonight and Hot Stove. [7]

* Al Leiter: Former MLB player and YES Network television announcer, will be on MLB Tonight and Hot Stove. [8](Image removed from quote.)

* Harold Reynolds: Former MLB player and Baseball Tonight analyst, will be on MLB Tonight and Hot Stove.[9](Image removed from quote.)

* Hazel Mae: Former host of SportsDesk on NESN, will serve as a reporter. [10]

* Joe Magrane: Former MLB player and Tampa Bay Rays color commentator for FSN Florida. His position is as yet unknown.

Programming

* MLB Tonight: The signature show of MLB Network, which will air Monday thru Saturday from 6pm Eastern until the final MLB game of the night is over. The show will feature live look-ins, updates, highlights, news and analysis.[12]
    * Hot Stove: During the offseason, Hot Stove will be the signature program on MLB Network, airing at 7pm Monday thru Friday. It will feature news reports and analysis of all offseason moves as teams prepare for the upcoming season.[13]
    * World Baseball Classic Tonight: Debuting in late February 2009, World Baseball Classic Tonight will feature highlights, analysis and special reports on the tournament.

no more Buster f*ckin Olney, no more Karl "Yes, it's the Nats" Ravech on my TV! f*ck BBTN.

MLB Network needs to get at Orel Hershiser though. He's really the only great thing on BBTN.

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/

MrMadison

Re: the MLB Network thread.
« Reply #1: November 22, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »
random notes: Matt Vasgersian does the Play-By-Play for the MLB The Show video game series. so if you've never heard what the guy sounds like, look for some MLB 08 The Show clips on Youtube.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: November 22, 2008, 08:00:01 PM »
Sounds awesome.

The "MLB Tonight" program will be cool.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: November 22, 2008, 08:01:49 PM »
I hope they bring over some guys from MLB Radio (they already have Reynolds). They tend to be pretty well informed and humorous. They only problem is they're are so few live listeners, its mostly podcast, that kids were always calling in.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: November 22, 2008, 08:02:33 PM »
All that sounds decent. I wish they would hire away Debbi Taylor to work backstage so we don't have to see or hear her dumb ass every night. 

MrMadison

« Reply #5: November 22, 2008, 08:08:41 PM »
*added pictures*

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #6: November 22, 2008, 08:22:21 PM »
Trenni does FSN Pittsburgh too - what the hell is that short for?

MrMadison

« Reply #7: November 22, 2008, 08:23:51 PM »
Trenni does FSN Pittsburgh too - what the hell is that short for?

FSN - Fox Sports Network

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #8: November 22, 2008, 08:28:02 PM »
FSN - Fox Sports Network
:rofl: x 10000

I mean Trenni

MrMadison

« Reply #9: November 22, 2008, 08:36:02 PM »
so just for freak's sake(plus I'm bored), let's compare what MLB network will be doing to what the NFL Network has.  not as a "which is better network" but more of a "what MLB should be doing that NFL network got right".

MLB Tonight/Hot Stove seems like inseason/offseason versions of NFL Scoreboard.

MLB Network needs a NFL Total Access-type program during the day, before the games start.

and they need to straight rip off the NFL Network and start producing their own series of "America's Game" specials that profile World Series champions.  I don't care if it is a blatant rip-off, "America's Game" is one of the best sports-related pieces of programming ever created.

MrMadison

« Reply #10: November 22, 2008, 08:36:24 PM »
:rofl: x 10000

I mean Trenni

oh. well, you coulda been a little more specific there.

i don't think it is short for anything. i just think it is her name.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #11: November 22, 2008, 08:40:04 PM »
oh. well, you coulda been a little more specific there.

i don't think it is short for anything. i just think it is her name.

Well it shows your opinion of my intellect :lol:

MrMadison

« Reply #12: November 22, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »
also, there should be a "Email-in" show of some sort, where fans can send emails in and get them answered on-air.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #13: November 22, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »
I think also like the NFL Network and NHL Network they should air a few live games a week.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #14: November 22, 2008, 08:47:43 PM »
I think also like the NFL Network and NHL Network they should air a few live games a week.

That's already happening

MrMadison

« Reply #15: November 22, 2008, 08:49:05 PM »

yeah, they're doing that already.  Saturday Night is the designated Baseball Night, from what I've ready.

NFL Network does Thursday Night Football, MLB's gonna do Saturday Night Baseball.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #16: November 22, 2008, 08:49:15 PM »

MrMadison

« Reply #17: November 22, 2008, 08:53:52 PM »
plus they are televising the entire WBC.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #18: November 22, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »
plus they are televising the entire WBC.

Crap it's not on ESPN anymore? I'm not paying for the stupid sports tier

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #19: November 22, 2008, 08:56:05 PM »
In the United States, ESPN and the MLB Network will share the rights, with ESPN broadcasting 23 of the games, including the semi-finals and final, while MLB Network will show the remaining 16. Internationally, it will be broadcast to 167 countries by ESPN International.

MrMadison

« Reply #20: November 22, 2008, 08:56:38 PM »
Crap it's not on ESPN anymore? I'm not paying for the stupid sports tier

MLB Network is on basic tier, from what I've read. and I was mistaken, they are splitting the WBC with espn.

they've already got deals in place with all the major providers to make this so.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #21: November 22, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »
MLB Network is on basic tier, from what I've read. and I was mistaken, they are splitting the WBC with espn.

they've already got deals in place with all the major providers to make this so.

Hell yeah if that's true - NFL, NBA, and NHL are sports tier

MrMadison

« Reply #22: November 22, 2008, 09:06:02 PM »
Hell yeah if that's true - NFL, NBA, and NHL are sports tier

MLB's deal stipulates (from what I know) that the companies can't carry the MLB Extra Innings package unless they carry MLB Network on Basic Cable.  in return, the Carriers all get ownership stakes in MLB Network.

or something like that.

MrMadison

« Reply #23: November 22, 2008, 09:07:37 PM »
Rather than launching with roughly 15 million subscribers on various dedicated sports tiers, the MLB Network plans to begin televising Jan. 1 to more than 50 million U.S.  homes on digital or expanded basic platforms, making it by far the most successful network launch in cable TV history

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/58507

Offline PANatsFan