Author Topic: Syracuse Starters and Relievers for 2011  (Read 2200 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Syracuse Starters and Relievers for 2011
« Topic Start: February 17, 2011, 05:52:24 PM »
I don't think I have ever posted here but with the surplus of pitching in Vierra I was curious who would end up in Syracuse and join the other pitchers already there. I do not think that Chiefs team will carry more than ten pitchers if that many. Feel free to add and subtract.

Wang (on DL rehab), Martis, Atilano, Martin, Mock, Carr, Severino, Maya , Chico, Wilkie,Stammen , Detwiler , Gaudin

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Syracuse Starters and Relievers for 2011
« Reply #1: February 17, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
i would subtract Stammen.  I think he'll be in the pen for the whole year with a spot start on occasion, perhaps.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2: February 17, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »
Weren't Martis and Martin released?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #3: February 17, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
To get them off of the 40 man roster, but they were reassigned I believe.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #4: February 17, 2011, 07:20:36 PM »
I don't think I have ever posted here but with the surplus of pitching in Vierra I was curious who would end up in Syracuse and join the other pitchers already there. I do not think that Chiefs team will carry more than ten pitchers if that many. Feel free to add and subtract.

Wang (on DL rehab), Martis, Atilano, Martin, Mock, Carr, Severino, Maya , Chico, Wilkie,Stammen , Detwiler , Gaudin
Meyers, Milone

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: February 17, 2011, 07:36:26 PM »
Weren't Martis and Martin released?

Martis was DFA'd I think, Martin was released and re-signed.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #6: February 17, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »
Martis was DFA'd I think, Martin was released and re-signed.
They are all with the team. Syracuse will win thier division. they were good last year too. It is tough to put Maya's 2 million dollars in the Cuse'. He breaks with the Nats.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #7: February 17, 2011, 07:59:40 PM »
Even though I think Balester has done everything they have told him to do to be on the 25 man...that stinkin' option of his could be the deal breaker with so many pitchers without one in camp.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #8: February 17, 2011, 08:00:37 PM »
Bally's curveball is already in mid season form. It will be tough to keep him off the roster.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #9: February 17, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »
Even though I think Balester has done everything they have told him to do to be on the 25 man...that stinkin' option of his could be the deal breaker with so many pitchers without one in camp.
Bally's curveball is already in mid season form. It will be tough to keep him off the roster.

SchizoMan? :lmao:

I think Collin is better in the pen and Maya is better starting in the AAA rotation.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: February 17, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »

The way pitchers get hurt, somebody who gets optioned down to start (but whose performance merited staying) is realistically going to get the call to come back up within a month or two.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #11: February 18, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »
i would subtract Stammen.  I think he'll be in the pen for the whole year with a spot start on occasion, perhaps.

Stammen making the opening day roster is certainly possible, but he'd have to beat out whichever starter doesn't win a rotation spot between, Gorzelanny, Detwiler and Maya. Unless one or more of them break down, all three are ahead of Stammen. Collin Balester is also well ahead of him, leaving him with a very slim chance of making the team to start the season.

He needs at least two of, Henry Rodriguez, Todd Coffey and Balester to fall apart before he's considered. I believe that Stammen will be in Syracuse, unless he's traded.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #12: February 18, 2011, 01:58:41 AM »
Spring Training hasn't even started yet. So are you telling me by mid season, Balester will be in offseason form.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #13: February 18, 2011, 02:00:46 AM »
Spring Training hasn't even started yet. So are you telling me by mid season, Balester will be in postoffseason form.
fixed

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #14: February 18, 2011, 08:46:30 AM »
I actually think Maya will start out at AAA and that Balester has a good shot at sticking as a quasi-long relief guy out of the pen given his prior experience starting.  We won't have a true swing starter if that happens unless they want Balester to start games here and there, though.

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: February 18, 2011, 09:28:58 AM »

The Nats need to grow out of the mindset of sending players down based on options.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: February 18, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
The Nats need to grow out of the mindset of sending players down based on options.

I dunno, seems like the obvious tie-breaker to me.

Offline blue911

« Reply #17: February 18, 2011, 09:50:01 AM »
I dunno, seems like the obvious tie-breaker to me.

tie breaker fine, primary reason no-no.

Offline epic_phalanx

« Reply #18: February 18, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
If for example the last bullpen spot comes down to H-Rod or Balester, it's pretty clear who they'd choose. If they option Balester, both players remain with the Org. If you DFA the guy with no options, you lose him. It's just business - though I agree with those predicting Balester will be one of the best relievers in camp. His stuff looked near unhittable at times last year.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #19: February 18, 2011, 03:41:14 PM »
If for example the last bullpen spot comes down to H-Rod or Balester, it's pretty clear who they'd choose. If they option Balester, both players remain with the Org. If you DFA the guy with no options, you lose him. It's just business - though I agree with those predicting Balester will be one of the best relievers in camp. His stuff looked near unhittable at times last year.

What about if Ramirez looks like he might stick? Rizzo is pretty fair with his methods, if a Rule V guy looks good, then I guess Collin is the odd man out :(

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #20: February 18, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »
I don't know if Ramirez has a shot.  We may have to trade for him if we want to keep him.  I think it's between Ramirez, Balester, and Stammen for that last spot. Only Stammen and Balester have experience starting, as far as I know.  I suppose they could put Gorzelanny in the 'pen, too, if they want Maya in the rotation.  Gorzy would take that swing role, then, and all of the above could be headed to AAA.

Offline RD

« Reply #21: February 18, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »
This could be a blessing for some guys.

Martis, for example. He may be forced to the pen at Syracuse.

Maya and Detwiler are likely to begin the year in Syracuse. Since they are the most likely to help the big club and offer the most potential, they start. Milone and Meyers are still prospects and deserve the nod over AAAA guys.

That really only leaves one opening in the rotation, most likely. Between Atilano, Martis, Chico and Martin, among others, only one can start. Martis and Atilano are still young enough to have long term value, but its clear its not in the rotation. Chico is a lefty, so he could be valuable. Developing into a reliever may be the only way these guys stick, and this is the opportunity that forces the organization to try them there. Doubtful that we find a keeper, but you never know. I thought Martis showed some ability in the WBC a couple years back with serious heat out of the pen, so maybe this gives him a new start.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #22: February 19, 2011, 03:38:38 AM »
Spring Training hasn't even started yet. So are you telling me by mid season, Balester will be in offseason form.
I know what his off season trainng has been like. Based on that he is light years ahead of his other Spring Traings. Ok, he is in Mid ( Spring Training) form.