Author Topic: REDSKINS GETTING RID OF SAUNDERS AND WILLIAMS.  (Read 2534 times)

nospinzone1

REDSKINS GETTING RID OF SAUNDERS AND WILLIAMS.
« Topic Start: January 26, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »
ACCORDING TO TRAILER ON THE MARYLAND-NC GAME.

MrMadison

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: REDSKINS GETTING RID OF SAUNDERS AND WILLIAMS.
« Reply #2: January 26, 2008, 02:26:13 PM »
David Elfin reports as of 1:45 p.m. today in the Washington Times Redskins 360 blog that Greg Blache is the Redskin's new Defensive Coordinator.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #3: January 26, 2008, 02:45:34 PM »
I think Danny is interested in only one thing: being in-charge. If you hire from the bottom up, it shows your head coach that he isn't in charge, but that you, as the guy that does the hiring and firing, are.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #4: January 26, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »
I still say this team is better off w/ ANYONE as HC that isn't named Joe Gibbs. However he lost his job, it's still a good thing.

nospinzone1

« Reply #5: January 26, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »
DOES COMCAST DESERVES A GUINNESS WORLD RECORD FOR RUNNING THE CRAWLING TRAILER ABOUT THE NEWS? NONSTOP NAUSEATING.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #6: January 26, 2008, 05:55:17 PM »
I still say this team is better off w/ ANYONE as HC that isn't named Joe Gibbs. However he lost his job, it's still a good thing.

I can't say I disagree. And in fact, there is nothing that says the Redskins can't luck out and win in spite of their bungling owner. My main issue is with the way this has been mishandled. Unfortunately Snyder knows that no matter what he does the fans will still be there to support this team financially. There have been no consequences for losing so he has no incentive to make the effort to do the right thing.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #7: January 26, 2008, 06:28:06 PM »
^ What I don't understand is why people believe Snyder is TRYING to hurt this franchise? Wouldn't you think there must be something to these decisions? We all know he's a good businessman, or else he wouldn't be where he is in the first place, right?

So I guess the real question is: Why, exactly, is he making these moves?

I, for one, don't believe he'd just fire people just to fire them. There has to be a reason. That's what I want to hear about.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #8: January 26, 2008, 06:42:50 PM »
I don't believe people have formed that opinion by picking it out of thin air. Snyder has shown his inability to do the right thing for this franchise. His history suggests that loud and clear. He is not a football man by any standard (that is completely different from being a good businessman) yet he refuses to hire someone that can guide this franchise in the right direction FOOTBALL related. He has shown the willingness to gouge the fanbase for profit's sake while not committed to bringing in the right people to run the team to ensure success on the gridiron. What they did last month was a joke in my book. Sneaking into the playoffs is not what I call a winning franchise. He probably feels that he has a couple more years of grace to capitalize on that run. The sad reality is that the fanbase has shown a propensity to whine about him but not the strength to stop funneling money into his pockets. I can't wait to hear about how much ticket prices will go up for next season. There is a long history of indecorum while Snyder has owned and personally run the team with his sidekick Cerrato (Arrington, Coles, Schottenheimer, Turner, Pierce, Clark, etc.). The common denominator to all those incidents is Dan Snyder. I still believe Spurrier was fired and I'm leaning towards believing that Gibbs was fired also. That or Gibbs is a worse liar than I ever thought. His refusal to hire a GM and what he said after he fired Schottenheimer indicates that he is intent on running the team until the word dysfunctional becomes an understatement.

BTW, I personally felt the hiring of Joe Gibbs was a disaster waiting to happen in the first place and that has proven to be the case. Hopefully they will get lucky and stumble onto a nut like a blind squirrel :lol:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #9: January 26, 2008, 07:04:09 PM »
^ I see what you mean.

The Zorn pickup was huge, though. He's a better OC than Saunders, so I have no issue w/ that. The West Coast offense would be really great here. Zorn has proven he can teach it, too.

We kept a guy in Blatche that knows how the defense worked last year, so that's OK, too.

The HC is the position that is key now. If Snyder can get a guy that will let the coordinator's do their thing and just be the guy that can lead this team, I don't see any reason to feel like ownership let us down.

I really do see all of this working out well. Saunders REALLY wasn't working here and Williams wasn't THAT great at all (well, he was pretty great, but he's not a football god by any means :D). The players and fans will get over the fact that they rooted for Williams to get the head job.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #10: January 26, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »
Zorn has yet to be an OC so it remains to be seen if he can be better than Saunders. I am convinced that the reason Saunders' offense struggled was because we had Barney Rubble wearing the main headset. I think a lot of people are upset at the upheaval that Snyder seems to cause regularly.

Acquiring player personnel is even more crucial if you ask me. Snyder's meddling has hamstrung the team more often than not. I'm not all that down on the idea of still being competitive. I think this could work out in spite of Snyder. I'm really upset at the way this has been handled. I find the silence from Redskins Park and then the misinformation from secretive sources disturbing.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #11: January 26, 2008, 07:21:02 PM »
I find the silence from Redskins Park and then the misinformation from secretive sources disturbing.

I think they'll wait until all positions are filled to speak w/ the media. This is probably best.

I dunno, I guess I'm the only one here not all that upset about the ways things have gone down. As long as we keep our core players, I think we should be fine...w/ good direction.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #12: January 26, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »
I think they'll wait until all positions are filled to speak w/ the media. This is probably best.

So you believe the media makes up the 'source at Redskins Park' or 'a person in the organization'? It's possible but Snyder seems to much like a politician that leaks misinformation to suit his purpose.

As long as we keep our core players, I think we should be fine...w/ good direction.

This starts from the top and the track record is poor at best. The phrase 'core players' scares me.

MrMadison

« Reply #13: January 26, 2008, 08:05:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the "core players" aren't very happy right now.

from everything I've heard, the players were really pushing for Williams to be the Head Coach.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #14: January 26, 2008, 08:36:35 PM »
The way Snyder is going about this shows that the very last thing he will do is let a head coach lead this team. You don't go out and get a O coordinator and a D coordinator and then hire a head coach. Exactly what kind of a head coach doesn't want to pick his own guys?

Any head coach worth his salt is going to realize exactly the position he is in.

This is a disaster.

The HC is the position that is key now. If Snyder can get a guy that will let the coordinator's do their thing and just be the guy that can lead this team, I don't see any reason to feel like ownership let us down.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #15: January 26, 2008, 09:26:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the "core players" aren't very happy right now.

from everything I've heard, the players were really pushing for Williams to be the Head Coach.

See, I always saw it as them standing up for the coach that was already there. That's what I'd do, too. I'm sure they'll accept whichever coach they are given. They'd better.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #16: January 26, 2008, 09:45:18 PM »
See, I always saw it as them standing up for the coach that was already there. That's what I'd do, too. I'm sure they'll accept whichever coach they are given. They'd better.

They have no choice really but I don't know that I agree that they were merely standing up for the coach that was already here because he had not been hired to be HC. They endorsed him for a good reason. They felt he was the right man to continue what they had going. So much for what Snyder called "stability and continuity". When he bought the team he couldn't wait to fire Turner and bring in his own people. But he refuses the same courtesy to whoever he decides to be HC. All head coaches that I know of prefer to handpick their staff. Of course it's possible that he alread has a deal in place with someone and has merely hired the men that particular coach has expressed interest in. But with Snyder, I doubt it.

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #17: January 26, 2008, 09:51:35 PM »
I can't say I disagree. And in fact, there is nothing that says the Redskins can't luck out and win in spite of their bungling owner. My main issue is with the way this has been mishandled. Unfortunately Snyder knows that no matter what he does the fans will still be there to support this team financially. There have been no consequences for losing so he has no incentive to make the effort to do the right thing.

BINGO!  You hit the nail right on the head.  Snyder knows that the fans in this area love the Redskins so much that no matter how much nagging and moaning the fanbase does, people will still show up to the games and spend their cash on tickets and merchandise.  And if one STH decides to cancel, another will swoop it right up because of the long waitlist.

Until a LOT of fans actually walk the walk and stop financially supporting this team, he has no reason to change his ways.  Course, there's no guarantee he would change at all either way, but it would at least be a message.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #18: January 26, 2008, 10:01:32 PM »
He's been a fan of this team since he was a boy so he is sure that this fanbase will never abandon the team. He knows he's safe from that angle.

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #19: January 26, 2008, 10:22:51 PM »
He's been a fan of this team since he was a boy so he is sure that this fanbase will never abandon the team. He knows he's safe from that angle.

Yeah, he's been a fan from the beginning.  Course he conveniently forgot how and why the team succeeded, like say, having a GM through those years.  Oh but of course, who needs a GM when we have his rotisserie league and magic wheel that picks the next big free agent or coach they need to sign.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #20: January 26, 2008, 10:32:06 PM »
He didn't forget. He just strikes me as the kind who never knew it to begin with. He is probably one of those that thinks Joe Gibbs did it all without the benefit of having Bobby Beathard putting the rosters together and an owner that signed the checks and stayed the hell out of the way and allowed his football people to make football decisions.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #21: January 27, 2008, 08:37:30 AM »
I dunno, Spider. I think he understands. I don't think he forgot. I think doing it his way is more important to him than winning.

He didn't forget. He just strikes me as the kind who never knew it to begin with. He is probably one of those that thinks Joe Gibbs did it all without the benefit of having Bobby Beathard putting the rosters together and an owner that signed the checks and stayed the hell out of the way and allowed his football people to make football decisions.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #22: January 27, 2008, 08:59:02 AM »
I think doing it his way is more important to him than winning.

This above all seems to be the biggest issue. Remember what he said at the press conference after he fired Marty? "I wasn't having any fun".

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #23: January 27, 2008, 02:54:47 PM »
I found this and agree whole heartedly with Mr. Wise's column:

The Coldest Shoulder

By Mike Wise
Sunday, January 27, 2008; D01

Gregg Williams, the fans' and players' choice to replace Joe Gibbs, morphed from valued employee into dead weight in less than two weeks, not worthy of even a phone call from Daniel Snyder as a parade of potential replacements passed through the owner's mansion.

However it happened, whatever led Snyder to his decision, there is no justifying how the situation was handled so soon after the entire organization had gone through the emotional hell of Sean Taylor's killing.

For everyone other than Snyder, this job search hasn't been about Gibbs at all. It's been about Taylor and how the team and coaches banded together to reach the playoffs without him. The healing was still progressing when Gibbs suddenly left. Williams was seen as the one link that could keep the chain of emotional recovery together.

How else to explain the vilification of Jim Fassel, an otherwise fine fellow with a Super Bowl appearance on his résumé, on local talk radio shows and online chat rooms, even the ones run by the team? Or the mass anointing of Williams, whose previous head coaching experience consisted of what everyone agrees was a disaster in Buffalo?

But Snyder was tone-deaf to all that.

It's one thing to leave every outside candidate in the dark after they interview; it's quite another to not speak to the coach who stood by Taylor after each one of his minor transgressions, proclaiming over and over, "I'm a fan of Sean Taylor," while everyone else was doubting the youngster.

Williams worked for the Redskins for four years, responsible for the unit that carried the team for three of them. Yet for 11 days after his last interview, he heard nothing, the silence ringing from Ashburn, to Mobile, Ala., where Redskins coaches were scouting an all-star game, to the home of every player.

Let's be clear: It's Snyder's team. It's his prerogative to hire anyone he wants to coach the Redskins. He is right to take the time he needs to make what he believes is the right decision. Arthur Blank had more than a month to get his ducks in line in Atlanta after Bobby Petrino left him in a lurch. Whether it's Fassel now or Ron Meeks or another mystery candidate, a vetting-out process is crucial to find anyone replacing Gibbs.

It's no secret I believe Williams should have gotten the job. I buy the notion that any of the crass, intransigent behavior that helped lead to his termination in Buffalo is gone. There is no doubt he became a more diplomatic thinker the past two years, one who could adapt to his talent and didn't have to always play the my-way game with his players.

And I'm not debating the departure of Al Saunders; he'd been walking on thin ice ever since the day a team employee asked how the players were grasping the offense and Saunders replied, "The players aren't the problem." Regardless of whether he believed his hands were tied by Gibbs's grind-it-out ways, Saunders's steadfast thinking that the personnel had to adapt to him -- not Al to them -- was clearly part of his undoing.

In spurning Williams, perhaps Snyder was scared he might be turning the reins over to the second coming of Marty Schottenheimer. Maybe he could not get the vision of Williams's very high opinion of himself those first two years in Washington out of his skull. Maybe Williams talked himself out of the job. Maybe, in explaining how he would lead differently in team meetings, it came across as a knock on the way Gibbs structurally went about keeping the Redskins a cohesive unit. While Williams believed he was making a strong case for his own unique abilities, the people on the receiving end of those words hear blasphemy. Remember, Gibbs can do no wrong in their eyes.

The moment Williams said anything that didn't dovetail with Gibbs's ways, the my-way coach may have been destined for the highway.

But why not tell Williams those things a week ago? At the very least, Williams deserved the loser's ritual in every coaching search, the opportunity to withdraw from consideration and save face. Instead, Williams's departure was announced via news release.

Then there's the matter of the "smear," as Williams's agent Marvin Demoff, royalty among NFL agents, put it. Three media outlets, in a span of about eight hours, credited team sources in reporting Williams was out as a candidate because he had been disrespectful to Gibbs. This came at about the same time Blache was signing on to replace Williams, a fact few outside the team knew.

I spoke to several team officials yesterday, trying to ferret out the leak, asking why things had to get this ugly. I got a lot of angry denials, including from Vinny Cerrato, whom Snyder recently named the team's executive vice president.

"I would go to Gregg's son's games every Friday night," Cerrato said. "Me and him talked about that today, how we were both upset that there was a story out there that we didn't like each other. I didn't talk to Mort [Chris Mortensen of ESPN] or anyone. I don't know what happened there, but that's not how I feel about him."

We don't know who to believe.

One thing is certain: This unseemly drama cost Snyder some of the goodwill he had gained after Taylor's death. He was seen as a galvanizing force for the generosity he showed after Taylor was shot and at his funeral. He showed strong leadership in a time of genuine crisis.

For a franchise always accused of never grasping the significance of how to behave at an important moment -- public perception changed in a matter of months. With how Williams's firing was handled, it took less than two weeks to undo all the unifying feelings that emerged from the Taylor tragedy.

In the end, everyone lost much more than a coaching job.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #24: January 27, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »
Danny-boy Snyder justs wants to make a media splash with his not-really-the-head-coach hire.

The next Redskins head coach will be Tom Cruise...

He will have Scientology tents set up to bilk both gullible players and fans with this cult-scam.