Author Topic: Can someone explain lineup theory to me?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org
Can someone explain lineup theory to me?
« Topic Start: July 29, 2005, 12:39:21 PM »
Why load up ALL your best hitters in abig clump at the front?  

With the Nats, we have two nearly automatic outs when you get to the end of then lineup.  Often this, in effect, "watses" an entire inning.  

Now, I know you need a leadoff man and I agree that most of the hitters should bein front....but why not space out a few guys down in the order?

Sprinkle the talent around a little bit?  For example, put Guzman after Johnson, then Preston.  That way, though tthere is a lull between the two, you might turn an otherwise"wasted" inning into a real chance to do something.  

I'm no baseball expert(I always played basketball, whichI undeerstande much better)....anyone??

Go Nats!!!

Fish fry tonight...time for a new winning streak tonmight in Miami!

hillnat

« Reply #1: July 29, 2005, 12:44:21 PM »
I just ate fish. Maybe thats an omen.  You would never bat someone like guzman behind Johnson because they wouldntgive johnson any pitches to hit.  Thinking well walk him and pitch to guzman to get the out.  You want to protect your big hitters with someone almost equally imposiong behind them so they get good piches to hit.

The reason you load the front of the order is also to give your best hitters the most at bats.

We are unigue in that most teams donthave two automatic outs like we do and it sucks.  The solution isnt intheoder but in the line up card. Bench guzman!

Hope that makes some sense.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: July 29, 2005, 12:55:12 PM »
You DO want to cluster your best hitters, because it takes multiple hits/walks/HBP within an inning to move runners around to score.

What would you rather have:  1 hit for each of 9 innings, or 9 hits in one inning?  

That's an extreme example, but the point is, clustering offense scores runs much better than spreading offense around.

Offline PC

« Reply #3: July 29, 2005, 01:32:59 PM »
I mentioned this in another thread, almost off handedly but giving it a little more thought, I think it would be a good idea.

As long as they're going to continue to play Guzman(WHY!!!!), put him at #9 in the batting order, behind the pitcher. Because the pitcher is so frequently an out (just like Guzman), we'd still likely get an out at #8.   What we wouldn't get is the likely double play that Guzman will hit into because pitchers frequently strike out, without making contact.

Because the pitcher is so frequently an out, many of those outs with the pitcher at #8 will end the inning.  Yes, it's not good to have a guaranteed out (Guzman) leading off an inning but if Guzman is leading off, he definitely won't hit into a double play.

To make a long story short, playing Guzman at #9 will reduce the number of double plays we hit into.

Of course, we could just not play Guzman, period.  But I guess that's out of the question!   :twisted:

hillnat

« Reply #4: July 29, 2005, 01:39:56 PM »
I dont know if that would work and dont want to think to had on it but must say I love it in theory.

natslive

« Reply #5: July 29, 2005, 09:41:43 PM »
ok here's my why the heck don't we try this lineup as can't be worse than what we are doing now:

Carroll SS
Vidro   2B
Guillen RF
Johnson 1B
Church CF (play him full time and let's see what he can do, Byrd and Wilson show me nothing)
Schneider C
Wilkerson LF
Short 3B (would have to call up and Frank would have to actually let him play - let's give Vinny the rest he needs and give Shorty a chance)
Pitcher

bramos

Re: Can someone explain lineup theory to me?
« Reply #6: July 29, 2005, 11:02:02 PM »
Quote from: "deeznatz"
why not space out a few guys down in the order?

Sprinkle the talent around a little bit?  For example, put Guzman after Johnson, then Preston...

Just like softball...boy, girl, boy, girl...why not?  Couldn't hurt.

bramos

« Reply #7: July 29, 2005, 11:11:14 PM »
Quote from: "PC"
I mentioned this in another thread, almost off handedly but giving it a little more thought, I think it would be a good idea.

As long as they're going to continue to play Guzman(WHY!!!!), put him at #9 in the batting order, behind the pitcher...

I too suggested Guzman bat 9th on nights when Hernandez - a good hitter - is pitching.  But, it will never come to pass because it would be considered an ultimate insult to any position player batting behind the pitcher.  Also, it's too radical an idea for our Mr. Old School manager to contemplate.  I seem to remember Tony LaRussa batting Mark McGwire at the leadoff spot a few years back to give him an extra at-bat each game to chase Maris.  Oh yes, a manager who is ahead of his time...wouldn't that be nice?