Author Topic: Did anyone worry after we went up 6-0?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline rich_nats

Did anyone worry after we went up 6-0?
« Topic Start: May 22, 2007, 10:55:11 AM »
I sure did.  It was the same feeling I had when we went up 4-0 the 1st inning in Chicago.   

Seems like the Nats' offense goes cold after starting off extremely hot.  And for some reason the pitching can't hold the lead over the course of the game. 

Why does the pitching staff hold the opposition to 2 or fewer runs on days the offense is inept, but can't hold a 6-run lead? 

As I've said before, the Nats don't suck. We can have good offensive days and usually we have good pitching days.  But we can't get both together.  At this point, the Nats are just losers.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Did anyone worry after we went up 6-0?
« Reply #1: May 22, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
*raises hand*

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2: May 22, 2007, 11:36:54 AM »
I was a tad uneasy myself.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #3: May 22, 2007, 11:44:32 AM »
Great question.

After the game, when I was visibly upset, my son said:

"What are you so upset about, you knew we were going to lose as soon as we were up 6-0, didn't you? I did."   

"How did you know?"

"It's just never that easy".

He explained how teams sometimes just seem to shut down when they get that far ahead, and the Nats are a classic case.

Smart boy.

Offline rich_nats

« Reply #4: May 22, 2007, 11:50:03 AM »
He explained how teams sometimes just seem to shut down when they get that far ahead, and the Nats are a classic case.

Smart boy.

This is one of those things that starts and ends with the manager.  I hope this will be rectified in the future so we can compete for the postseason with Acta.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #5: May 22, 2007, 12:00:53 PM »
It's not Acta's fault that Speigner is a career minor-leaguer.

Offline rich_nats

« Reply #6: May 22, 2007, 12:11:03 PM »
It's not Acta's fault that Speigner is a career minor-leaguer.

He does need to keep his team focused though.  It seems like when we really need the run support it just doesn't happen. 

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #7: May 22, 2007, 12:14:17 PM »
I was only worry becasue Speigner was pitching and i was welll aware that he the skills and guts to give the league back. If it was Bergman, Hill, or CHico or any of our starts i wouldn't have ahd any doubt. But even still with Speigner pitching i wtill thought we were goin win the game.

Speigner gets added to the list of pitches whose name we don't mention on this board.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #8: May 22, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »
There are some ballparks you just can't rest easy in. Kearns' homer last night was a double or out at RFK. Of course the go ahead homer for the Reds was far from cheap, but that is no one's fault but Rauch and it is good he understands the mistakes he is making. Speigner has the stuff to be good at this level he just needs to calm down and stop trying to throw it through the catcher.

Offline PC

« Reply #9: May 22, 2007, 01:08:17 PM »
That plus the non-game related "chatter" in the game thread.  It was reminiscent of the Nats-Patres game from 2005.

Nats-Padres game report from 2005.
Game Thread from Nats-Padres

I got the same knot in my stomach watching a dozen different conversations going on...

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #10: May 22, 2007, 01:11:56 PM »
Normally when teams go up 6-0 after two innings they keep their foot on the gas pedal and win 10-2, 9-3.  I guess this team is just not normal

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #11: May 22, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »
The sad thing about the vast majority (all of them really) of baseball players, is that they are pretty much all lazy. They all want a big dollar contract to play a game many, if not most people would play for free.

If you step back and look at how hard you work for your $50 to $100,000 a year salary and then look at major league baseball players who start at a minimum of $380,000 a season. With the major league average being several times that amount, you'd think that players would work at staying in shape, doing everything that could to improve their game, but nope, it not only doesn't happen, it never will. Why, because baseball players are all just plain lazy. Half of the time they spend at their job is spent sitting on a bench shooting the breeze and hanging out while waiting for their turn to hit. Starting pitchers have it oh so much tougher, they have to wait a whole 5 days before working, relievers on the average have at least every day off, with many other getting even more time off between games.

With the average player is making over $5,000 an hour to play baseball, and while a player at the minimum level is making over $750 an hour to play the same game, (BP's and pre-game warming up not included) ask yourself, If you were being paid over $750 an hour to do a job, wouldn't you want to do everything possible to ensure you were able to do that job on a daily basis?

Every modern day baseball player, without exception, is lazy, pure and simple.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #12: May 22, 2007, 03:30:31 PM »
Yes, I was worried, but not simply because the offense would go into a shell. I was simply worried because Speigner was pitching. Once the game was 6-3, I figured the whole game had changed for the worse. Logan had a terrible game in CF. The miscommunication with Kearns was not the worst offense. The angles he took on other plays were not good. It was nice to see Knight point this out too. The worst offense to me was the play where he let the ball get by him and allowed two runs to score. When you get out to an big early lead, you can either pile on more runs or play rock solid defense. Nook and Speigner allowed the Reds back in the game. And a team with their offense just needs to be close because they are a threat to close a small lead with that much time.  I was never comfortable with the early lead with that much game to play. I never feel like the Nats are out of a game after the 2nd inning, so I am sure not going to feel that way about a team with a productive lineup.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #13: May 22, 2007, 03:54:05 PM »
That plus the non-game related "chatter" in the game thread.  It was reminiscent of the Nats-Patres game from 2005.

Nats-Padres game report from 2005.
Game Thread from Nats-Padres

I got the same knot in my stomach watching a dozen different conversations going on...

In my opinion, that happened because for once this year, we knew we were going to win early in the game.  Therefore, we're not so intensely focused on the game, and also in a good mood.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #14: May 22, 2007, 04:52:08 PM »
Nice to see someone else pointing out other players who had a role in giving the lead back instead of just laying it all on speigner

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #15: May 22, 2007, 06:14:57 PM »
Nice to see someone else pointing out other players who had a role in giving the lead back instead of just laying it all on speigner

Our pitching is to blame for this game.  Every player makes errors; we let them back into the game with a 6-0 lead.  And yes, I did blame Kearns in the heat of the moment, but realistically, he added as many runs as he gave up.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #16: May 22, 2007, 06:22:51 PM »
Actually it's all my fault.  The Nats are 0 for their last 4 when I've turned to the game on TV at any point during the game, and 7 for 7 when I have abstained :(

Curiously, they are 2-1 when I actually attend in person, and even the one loss was an extra innings game.

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #17: May 22, 2007, 10:30:20 PM »
Our pitching is to blame for this game.  Every player makes errors; we let them back into the game with a 6-0 lead.  And yes, I did blame Kearns in the heat of the moment, but realistically, he added as many runs as he gave up.

i love your avatar... i want one...lol

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #18: May 22, 2007, 11:01:13 PM »

Thanks!  I'm assuming you're referring to my signature; the thing at the bottom of my posts.

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #19: May 22, 2007, 11:28:17 PM »
yeah i was !

its just cool

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #20: May 23, 2007, 12:04:10 AM »

Here you go...

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim