Author Topic: Hey computer geeks.  (Read 390 times)

Offline houston-nat

Hey computer geeks.
« Topic Start: August 12, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »
My Toshiba Satellite laptop's display went totally wacko today. At some point the color settings randomly switched so the contrast got bumped way down, colors became more saturated, and everything is slightly more garish, like a bad movie from the early '80s. I have to squint to see grey lines - like on this forum software, white writing has a slight bleed of the color around it and all the little lines around the "Start topic" box are basically invisible unless I put my head down here by the keyboard.

Now, the laptop doesn't have a contrast button or function anywhere on the outside, and the Windows color adjustment wizard is for babies. How do I get this thing back to normal??

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Hey computer geeks.
« Reply #1: August 12, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »
shake it really hard, get the color dots back in place.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: August 12, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »
I took a screenshot, but I don't know if it will look wrong to you guys because it's a screenshot and my screen's messed up. It's sort of a wacky The Matrix scenario. But in case it does work, here's a screenshot.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #3: August 12, 2011, 05:45:45 PM »
shake it really hard, get the color dots back in place.

This is not a real thing.
Also not a real thing, a screenshot. It's what your screen should show, not what it does show. It looks fine in the screenshot. You'll need a digital photo to show the problem.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #4: August 12, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
This is not a real thing.
Also not a real thing, a screenshot. It's what your screen should show, not what it does show. It looks fine in the screenshot. You'll need a digital photo to show the problem.

Crap. Go figure. Okay, I'll take the red pill.*
*Unless it's the blue pill. Can't remember.

Not entirely sure this will help...? It definitely underreports the amount of bleeding between Firefox's blue bar and WNFF's gray, and everything is more washed-out. Reds are nasty, though, and I think you can kinda see that.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #5: August 12, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »
Well, there's a cable inside the laptop that connects the graphics card to the screen - looks like it's got a break in it or a bent pin or it came partially unplugged. That's my shot in the dark wild-assed guess.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #6: August 12, 2011, 08:52:15 PM »
Start it up in Safe Mode.  My MacBook Pro did something similar and that fixed it. 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #7: August 13, 2011, 04:36:22 AM »
Fired up the computer as normal and it's totally back to normal. Whatevs.