Author Topic: Upcoming Series: Mets vs. Nationals  (Read 559 times)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Upcoming Series: Mets vs. Nationals
« Topic Start: July 01, 2010, 08:09:20 AM »
Baseball is a wonderful game at times and cruel at others. The Nationals lost the games they were suppossed to win and are now losing the ones they are suppossed to lose. It just makes it that much worse when nothing seems to go right. These games are still not painful to watch like last year's team. I think this team is closer than some people realize, but at the same time further away than others realize. It really all depends on what happens with the injured pitchers and Adam Dunn to how close the team is. A bad trade of Dunn or a negative on the injured pitchers and this team has even further to go. I am also not very happy that I have to listen to Lovegame everytime someone calls me and all it got us was one measly win.

Mets vs. Nationals

The last road series the Nationals won was against the Mets, and it also happenned at a time when the time was riding its highest. It looked like the Mets were headed down and the Nationals' future was closer than everyone thought. As it turns out the Mets got things turned around and the Nationals just stopped playing well. I was watching Top Chef during the game last night and I was reminded of something. Get the little things right. Too many of the bad chefs on that show are just like the Nationals. They had to make a pie and the second some of them said what they were doing I just knew it wouldn't be good. You have to be able to get the little things right before getting ambitious, and honestly shouldn't flavor profiles be just as simple to top chefs as fundamental baseball to a major league team.

Thursday July, 1 Johan Santana vs. Livan Hernandez

Santana has not had a good outing for awhile. His last four outings have been terrible for a pitcher of his caliber. He simply has to pitch better if the Mets hope to catch the Braves. I am sure most teams would be overjoyed to see that Johan has struggled recently, but it seems as if the Nationals are not a team to take advantage of oppurtunities. Put an open door in front of a Nationals player and they would walk into the wall. Johan is a good pitcher and he might be distracted by off the field issues. He should be able to get right against the Nationals, but he did give up four runs to them earlier in the season.

Livan has reverted to being Livan. He had a blow-up in his last game but then a good game before that one. So this game should be good. Livan needs to just be Livan and hope the defense can play behind him. The big problem with a pitcher like Livan is the defense needs to be solid behind him, but he does give a couple advantages to the team when he is on the mound. He can field his position and handle the bat. Hopefully Livan can keep the game close and we get to see the bad side of the Mets bullpen.

Friday July, 2 Jon Neise vs. Luis Atilano

Neise has been one of many good rookies this season. He did not pitch very well against the Nationals the last time we saw him, but as it turns out he was hurt and we didn't get to see the best of Neise. The Nationals offense right now is one a pitcher should be able to deal with, but I am always more worried playing a cold team than a hot team because the cold team has to get hot at some point and you never want it to be against you. Maybe this pressure of not letting the Nationals get hot against him gets to Neise and he gives up a few runs.

If Atilano was on a better team he would also be a suprising rookie. As it is he is just a rookie. He had a decent start against Baltimore and it would have helped if he could have avoided the big inning. I wouldn't have minded the three runs so much if they had come in three seperate innings, but as it was it was a big inning and it tied the game. The defense didn't exactly help him out either, but it isn't likely to help anyone out.

Saturday July, 3 R.A. Dickey vs. Stephen Strasburg

This is the match-up I did not want to see. Dickey has been better than Strasburg this month and no one is talking about him for the all-star game. Dickey has had to fight and scratch for everything he has gotten from baseball. Lesser men in his position would have retired a failure when they lost their fastball, but Dickey learned another pitch and he faught his way back through the minors. He has made spot starts and been a replacement player, and now is his chance. This is a game where he can prove to the world that sometimes age, determination, guile, and guts can win over talent.

Have you been outside today? I am serious. It is really nice. Cool mornings. The afternoon heat doesn't blaze off the asphalt like an oven in hell. It is just comfortable to be outside. Kind of like San Diego weather. Kind of like Stephen Strasburg weather. In his last two starts he didn't have his best stuff and he lost. Forget about the offense for a minute and focus on Strasburg without his best stuff on schorching hot days. Now close your eyes and imagine the rage building within him at his two loses. He is the starter and he owns those loses. No one else is to blame but him. If he had done this just a little better and maybe then this would have happenned. He sleeps at night and sees these moments in his head, and knows he can do better. Now imagine him on the mound glaring down David Wright, a crisp summer breeze nuzzles the hairs on his neck, he stares at the catchers glove and lets the ball go.

Sunday July, 4 Hisanori Takahashi vs. Craig Stammen

I don't really ever want to have to spell that name again. He is another one of the suprises that have kept the Mets in this race far longer than they should have been. He is asian and thus has a funky delievery with a bit of a pause in it. Hopefully the Nationals can figure him out and get some hits off of him. At this point in time i don't really have faith in them to get hits off anyone, but this colection of starters, on paper, are not as good as what we faced in Atlanta.

Stammen might have had the best start of his season against the Braves. He dealt with some good hitters and was able to get them out. He looked like he was pitching out there and thinking about what each pitch meant and how to use it to set up his next pitches. He was moving the ball and changing speeds and not throwing that stupid slider. Stammen has a fastball and a sinker that can get major league hitters out. His sharp curveball is good when he throws it when he is ahead in the count and can disguise it well. Stammen is another one of these pitchers that has the ability, but just needs to work on the mental aspects. We all saw with Jason Bergman what happens when they just don't figure things out. Stammen is at the same crossroads.

X-Factors

The Mets top x-factor isn't even on their major league roster yet. The entire question surrounding this Mets team is when does Carlos Beltran come back and what happens when he gets here. Maybe it is a little bit of the Ewing effect with the Mets right now and they are playing better without their star player because they have to. If Beltran can come back and be Carlos Beltran then the Mets are a much more dangerous team than the Atlanta Braves, but right now the questions surrounding his return might be a distraction to the team.

So, can we call that guy that hit Nancy Kerrigan? Does anyone have that guys number? maybe we can direct him to the tunnel and give him a discription of Nyjer Morgan, but with our luck he would take out Bernadina instead. So, maybe that isn't the best idea. Hopefully Riggleman figures out that Morgan just isn't that good and we can all add him to the list of Wily Mo's and Nook Logan's. I would hope at some point a hot August and September would translate to a guy actually being good. It seems to happen for every other major league franchise. This is one team that doesn't need any bad luck but seems to get more than its fair share.

Final Thoughts

I wonder who hates Willie Harris more at this point. Mets fans or Nationals fans? This team is so filled with useless pieces it is hard to imagine them ever winning another series this entire year. Luckily this is a four game series and we can both not win and not lose. With the terrible way June went hopefully July can get off to a somewhat decent start. If anything I hope we lose the first game of the series and then either split or win the next three. I just don't want to hear Bob Carpenter talking about how this team is undefeated in the month of July. I think we can earn the split, but at this time it would be earning something just to tie. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Upcoming Series: Mets vs. Nationals
« Reply #1: July 01, 2010, 08:58:45 AM »
I really wanted us to take that series against the Braves.  The fact that we lost so pathetically after a strong win makes me think we will be extremely lucky to split this series with the Mets.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: July 01, 2010, 09:00:34 AM »
I really wanted us to take that series against the Braves.  The fact that we lost so pathetically after a strong win makes me think we will be extremely lucky to split this series with the Mets.

I think you're mistakenly assuming that there is rhyme or reason in this team's play. I wouldn't be shocked if we either swept or got swept in any series from this point on.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: July 01, 2010, 09:07:24 AM »
I think you're mistakenly assuming that there is rhyme or reason in this team's play. I wouldn't be shocked if we either swept or got swept in any series from this point on.

Could be, but the .333 pace they've settled into for the last 45 games seems pretty rhythmic to me :(

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #4: July 01, 2010, 09:18:56 AM »
They are lucking out not having to face Pelfrey. Johan has not been anywhere near his dominant self this season....Niese got lit up by us earlier this season...Dickey is coming off of a terrible start, and Takahashi is always hittable.

Offline blue911

« Reply #5: July 01, 2010, 09:25:35 AM »
Nobody wants - you don’t want to be in the situation where you wake up one morning and Johan Santana has won eight games all season and you owe him $150 million. That’s the thing. You see a lot of guys for $150 million, but we’re going to stick with what we’re doing. We’re going to take a lot of heat from you and everybody else, but I think you’re starting to see it.
- Mark Lerner, July 13, 2008 via Nationals Journal

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #6: July 01, 2010, 09:31:30 AM »

The hardest thing in baseball is knowing who to keep and who to get rid of. the Twins are geniuses for getting rid of Johan to free up money for Mauer and Morneua. Even if Johan does turn it around this season and pitches like the player he is (or used to be) it is still a bad contract and he is still in decline.

Offline blue911

« Reply #7: July 01, 2010, 09:41:46 AM »
The hardest thing in baseball is knowing who to keep and who to get rid of. the Twins are geniuses for getting rid of Johan to free up money for Mauer and Morneua. Even if Johan does turn it around this season and pitches like the player he is (or used to be) it is still a bad contract and he is still in decline.

My nag with Lerner is he shouldn't have said a thing. I feel that the only contracts an owner should critique are the ones they are paying.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: July 01, 2010, 09:46:28 AM »
Geniuses in the sense of saving money, but the Twinkies were awful in terms of maximizing talent back in that deal.  They could have had Masterson, Michael Bowden, Ryan Kalish (top Red Sox position prospect) as side dishes along with a main course of either (A) John Lester and Coco Crisp, or (B) Jacoby Ellsbury for Santana.  I forget the NYY offer, but I think it included Austin Jackson, Ian Kennedy, and some other talent.  The Twins held out for Phil Hughes or both Lester and Ellsbury, and I think Cashman and Epstein either spoke or negotiated through the newspaper and said, "we'll walk away if you do."  The Twins ended up with Carlos Gomez, which they turned into Hardy, Humber I think, and an A ball pticher who has not panned out.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #9: July 01, 2010, 10:03:31 AM »
Geniuses in the sense of saving money, but the Twinkies were awful in terms of maximizing talent back in that deal.  They could have had Masterson, Michael Bowden, Ryan Kalish (top Red Sox position prospect) as side dishes along with a main course of either (A) John Lester and Coco Crisp, or (B) Jacoby Ellsbury for Santana.  I forget the NYY offer, but I think it included Austin Jackson, Ian Kennedy, and some other talent.  The Twins held out for Phil Hughes or both Lester and Ellsbury, and I think Cashman and Epstein either spoke or negotiated through the newspaper and said, "we'll walk away if you do."  The Twins ended up with Carlos Gomez, which they turned into Hardy, Humber I think, and an A ball pticher who has not panned out.

I agree that they could have gotten more and I also think the Matt Garza traded wasn't exactly a good one. The Twins are just a team that seems to generate talent. Hopefully one day this team can get to the point, but the complete mess the farm system was in when it got here and the lack of tradeable major leaguers makes it a longer rebuild than other teams.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #10: July 01, 2010, 11:38:34 AM »

Mark Lerner is still a dumbass. Just because he got the result correctly doesn't mean he was right. His reasoning for not liking Santana's deal is embarrassing. It's kind of like someone saying Adam Dunn is going to have a great season because he will be lights out at 1B. Then that person brags about being correct that Dunn would have a great season, but ignoring the fact that they thought that for all the wrong reasons.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #11: July 01, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »
Who hates Willie Harris more???

I think I hear Lady Gaga calling you.