Author Topic: Nats Acquire C Kurt Suzuki from A's  (Read 8151 times)

Offline Clever

Re: Nats Acquire C Kurt Suzuki from A's
« Reply #100: August 03, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »

Whoa. I have a feeling this guy will block a couple more pitches in the dirt.

Offline Clever

« Reply #102: August 04, 2012, 02:17:26 AM »
 :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz:

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #103: August 04, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
Great move. Hopefully the change of scenery helps him get back to his career numbers

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #104: August 04, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
Awful terrible crap stupid trade

Agreed.

David Frietas had potential.   Seeing Suzuki quite often play, the Nats acquired a weak hitting, weak armed catcher.  He averages about 55 RBI for a YEAR and ~10 HR's a year.  He doesn't have a strong arm.

Not a good trade for the Nats.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #105: August 04, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »
He's got a motorcycle name.

LOL.  Good point!

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #106: August 04, 2012, 11:44:05 AM »
My thoughts on the trade:-That.
-He'll be a better hitter than he was in Oakland obviously hitting. His defense will be very good. 
-Good relationship with Gio, not like that's very difficult.
-Didn't have to give up a lot, and got some of his contract paid
-Another high character, good teammate guy.

I like it.

"That" doesn't make any sense when responding to a post.

He doesn't have good defense.  He's got a weak arm and won't be able to throw out many runners. 

Nats should have looked elsewhere if they felt they were in need of a catcher

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #107: August 04, 2012, 11:44:45 AM »

If you would watch our games or our DL it would quicly become apparant that any catcher may prove useful in 2012. :? Catchers are the new pitchers.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #108: August 04, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
Agreed.

David Frietas had potential.   Seeing Suzuki quite often play, the Nats acquired a weak hitting, weak armed catcher.  He averages about 55 RBI for a YEAR and ~10 HR's a year.  He doesn't have a strong arm.

Frietas was young, but Ramos (24) and Leon (23) give us options at catcher going forward. Suzuki gives a probable starter atleast this year and next. You stockpile in the farm system so excess prospects can be used in trades.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #109: August 04, 2012, 11:46:15 AM »
While Suzuki has been completely garbage this year, you take a gamble when Flores is the best option available.  It would have cost more to get Shoppach from Boston.

Not necessarily.  Boston just wanted to keep him due to Ortiz's "injury".  Shoppach is much better offensively, and knows how to call a game.  Good defensively as well. Stronger arm.  Still boggled by this trade.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #110: August 04, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »
At the very worst, it's a bit of an upgrade - better defense and maybe slightly better offense from the catcher position.  At least Rizzo did something - this may not have been his first choice, but it's the deal that came through.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #111: August 04, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »
Frietas was young, but Ramos (24) and Leon (23) give us options at catcher going forward. Suzuki gives a probable starter atleast this year and next. You stockpile in the farm system so excess prospects can be used in trades.

Considering they've given up two good young catchers in the past year from the minor league system (remember the Gio trade too? (Granted the Gio trade was an excellent move; Suzuki was not)), the farm system is getting weaker because of that.

I wouldn't be proud to call Kurt Suzuki a starter.  He's mediocre at best.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #112: August 04, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
If you would watch our games or our DL it would quicly become apparant that any catcher may prove useful in 2012. :? Catchers are the new pitchers.

LOL. Dude, I'm a Nats fan as well.  I watch nearly every Nats game, and go to Nats town often.

I'm just saying that this team has major talent...World Series talent...and if Ramos is hurt, I don't mind upgrading the Catcher position at all.  Kurt Suzuki isn't the answer though.

Online blue911

« Reply #113: August 04, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »
Even if the Nats are swapping one offensively inept backstop for another, the new one will be better defensively. Suzuki has been below-average at fielding batted balls, but he seems to excel at everything else. According to Max Marchi’s research, Suzuki saved the sixth-most runs of any catcher from 2008-2011 through game-calling and framing and was also the sixth-best at blocking pitches. He’s thrown out 38 percent of attempted basestealers this season, well above the 27 percent league rate.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17896

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #114: August 04, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
"That" doesn't make any sense when responding to a post.

He doesn't have good defense.  He's got a weak arm and won't be able to throw out many runners.

Nats should have looked elsewhere if they felt they were in need of a catcher

He's 4th in the MLB in CS%. He throws out runners just fine.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #115: August 04, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Will he start tonight with JZimm?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #116: August 04, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »
Nats never told Flores.

He didn't find out till the media told him after the double header. Heh.

"I didn't know," a surprised Flores said. "I just know because you (told me). I didn't know. Nobody has told me anything."

"I don't even want to talk about it," he added later. "I'm just in shock. I didn't know we had a new catcher."

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals_pastime/2012/08/nats-players-react-to-the-suzuki-addition.html

Online blue911

« Reply #117: August 04, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »
Nats never told Flores.

He didn't find out till the media told him after the double header. Heh.

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals_pastime/2012/08/nats-players-react-to-the-suzuki-addition.html

I thought it was weird. But then again,he isn't being demoted so what difference does it make.

Online blue911

« Reply #118: August 04, 2012, 12:17:09 PM »
As a followup on the BP article (above), this is what they have to say about Freitas

Every organization in baseball could benefit from having a player like David Freitas, which is why every organization in baseball has a player like David Freitas.  A 15th-round draft pick out of the University of Hawaii at Manoa in 2010, the backstop had organizational soldier written all over his profile, where words like leadership, character, and maturity receive a more pronounced font than words like plus or above-average. But something funny happened on the way to minor-league obscurity: Freitas started showing major-league potential. His bat isn’t anything special; the hit tool itself is currently below-average with a chance of becoming a fringe-average tool, but the approach is advanced, and the raw power should play up to at least average (50 on the 20-80 scale).

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #119: August 04, 2012, 12:31:33 PM »
For what it is worth, ZiPs Rest of season projections for Suzuki:  .248 average, .302 on base percentatgee, .358 slugging, 3 home runs, 0.9 wins above replacement.

I so wanted to post "FWIW, Suzuki ZiPs ROS: //, HR, WAR"

Offline Clever

« Reply #120: August 04, 2012, 12:52:20 PM »
For what it is worth, ZiPs Rest of season projections for Suzuki:  .248 average, .302 on base percentatgee, .358 slugging, 3 home runs, 0.9 wins above replacement.

I so wanted to post "FWIW, Suzuki ZiPs ROS: //, HR, WAR"
That's better than Flores.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #121: August 04, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »
I wouldn't be proud to call Kurt Suzuki a starter.  He's mediocre at best.
Thank God the powerhouse Cleveland Indians won't be bogged down by Kurt Suzuki.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #122: August 04, 2012, 01:07:37 PM »
The Nats could.always draft a new catcher in the first round. Well the best one money can buy with the 30th pick.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #123: August 04, 2012, 04:35:38 PM »
Thank God the powerhouse Cleveland Indians won't be bogged down by Kurt Suzuki.

they are pretty happy with one of the best in baseball. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #124: August 04, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »
enjoy manny acta