Author Topic: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread  (Read 70814 times)

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Re: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread
« Reply #275: March 21, 2011, 12:28:50 PM »
I'd probably be wary of Bauer too.  He strikes me as one of the bigger boom or bust picks available.

Kevrock - Nolan Ryan might disagree with you about pitch counts.

Offline epic_phalanx

« Reply #276: March 21, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »
Kevrock - Nolan Ryan might disagree with you about pitch counts.

Add to Nolan just about every starter who played before 1980 or so. You know guys used to throw complete games every three days or so, and stayed effective for years. Conditioning, fitness, and medicine has improved exponentially since then. There's no sound medical evidence that 130 pitches in a game is "dangerous", simply making your living by pitching a baseball is the dangerous part. It's more about managers and GM's trying to deflect criticism when a pitcher does inevitably go down, see Strasburg.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #277: March 21, 2011, 12:41:57 PM »
Funny, as much as Ryan talks about wanting pitchers to go deeper into games... the Rangers weren't anything out of the ordinary in innings pitched by Starters last year.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #278: March 21, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »
Add to Nolan just about every starter who played before 1980 or so. You know guys used to throw complete games every three days or so, and stayed effective for years. Conditioning, fitness, and medicine has improved exponentially since then. There's no sound medical evidence that 130 pitches in a game is "dangerous", simply making your living by pitching a baseball is the dangerous part. It's more about managers and GM's trying to deflect criticism when a pitcher does inevitably go down, see Strasburg.

Actually, there is a study by the American Sports Medicine Institute that ties workloads in youth pitchers to injuries later in their career. Scientific enough?

Also, Gil Meche disagrees with your post.

I'm interested in what Nolan wants to do with Texas. I'm not sure there's really much to discuss there right now, though.

I said that 130 pitches is not safe. I really don't think that's a stretch. Then you add in that the 130 pitches were thrown in March, before Bauer could have built up much arm strength. My point is not that Bauer will definitely get an injury -- rather, that it is a red flag and that it's something the Nats should fully investigate.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #279: March 21, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »
Actually, there is a study by the American Sports Medicine Institute that ties workloads in youth pitchers to injuries later in their career. Scientific enough?

Also, Gil Meche disagrees with your post.

I'm interested in what Nolan wants to do with Texas. I'm not sure there's really much to discuss there right now, though.

I said that 130 pitches is not safe. I really don't think that's a stretch. Then you add in that the 130 pitches were thrown in March, before Bauer could have built up much arm strength. My point is not that Bauer will definitely get an injury -- rather, that it is a red flag and that it's something the Nats should fully investigate.
That's Gooden 'nuff for me.  Ask McCatty about Rick Langford and every other starter on his staff with the As under Martin.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #280: March 21, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »
That's Gooden 'nuff for me.  Ask McCatty about Rick Langford and every other starter on his staff with the As under Martin.

Wow. A little before my time, so I had to Google, but that's incredibly interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Starts on page 186:

http://books.google.com/books?id=6-bcAOWuTg4C&pg=PA188&lpg=PA188&dq=Rick+Langford+pitch+count&source=bl&ots=0OMUx1NDoq&sig=_4Yv4XOhUu_YZL2hrdibjXIgtzc&hl=en&ei=xYWHTeuLL8LFgAfu06DOBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Rick%20Langford%20pitch%20count&f=false

Offline RD

« Reply #282: March 22, 2011, 10:50:51 PM »
Ive always felt Arizona was a destination for Hultzen, as in the ceiling of where he goes. With them picking at 7 with their compensation pick from last year, they need someone who is going to sign. They aren't going to go with Purke if he slid, or Starling and tried to pry him away from football. So by having two top seven picks, signability is going to play into it.

I just dont think they go with Hultzen at 3. 7 more likely IMO.

If he does go at 3, then thats GREAT for us. I know Baltimore could nab Purke, but I dont expect KC too. They have a ton of frontline lefties near the bigs, so they should look elsewhere at that spot. If Springer picks it up, I think he's the pick. Maybe even Starling. If he gets past AZ there is a legit chance Purke is there for us. Having a power lefty between Strasburg and Zimmermann is the best case scenario IMO.

Im interested in seeing Hultzen pitch this year. I know hes added a tick on the gun, but that cant be the only improvement he's made. I dont know if its just more confidence in pounding the zone, or if he's tightened up some other pitches. From what we've seen prior to this year, he doesn't have a true out pitch. I want to see what else he's improved on because his numbers are amazing.

Offline epic_phalanx

« Reply #283: March 23, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »
I will be disappointed if they take Purke 6th. I hate his delivery.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #284: March 23, 2011, 01:31:34 PM »
I think we'd be bonkers to pass on Purke. I haven't seen a mock draft where he falls to six, though.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/MLBMocks.htm

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #285: March 23, 2011, 02:21:32 PM »
I think the fact he's a draft eligible sophomore will make teams think long and hard about him.  He's going to have a ton of leverage and will be very expensive.

Offline RD

« Reply #286: March 23, 2011, 03:04:12 PM »
I understand being worried about Purke for signability reasons. Not for talent or delivery questions. He's far and away the best lefty n this draft.

He's already turned down $4mill from a team in his home state and has only gotten better. It'll probably take upwards of $7mill to get hime done but its worth it IMO.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #287: March 24, 2011, 09:17:45 AM »
http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2011/3/24/2069029/high-school-update-3-24-11

Here's an update on some of the top high schoolers available.  I'm still not in favor of picking a high schooler based on this franchise's abysmal history with high school draftees.  Maybe further down in the draft like they did with Cole last year, it makes some sense.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #288: March 24, 2011, 09:20:42 AM »
I like Daniel Norris but yeah I would strongly lean towards taking a college player with our first pick or two.

Offline RD

« Reply #289: March 24, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
Owens struck out 12 while giving up 2 hits in his last outing.

Looks like a young Zito. From his size, hook, and laidback demeanor. Definitely worth a first rounder. If he can add some more velocity as he fills out, he'd be a true frontline guy.

He plays just a couple miles away. Hoping to make it out to a game this year, but hard to line up a day off with a day he starts.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #290: March 24, 2011, 02:08:17 PM »
I wish I was doing the drafting for the Nats. I would go pitcher with our first 3 picks. With the 1st pick(#6) I would go Matt Purke>Taylor Jungmann>Sonny Gray>Danny Hultzen. With the 2nd pick(#23) I would go Trevor Bauer>Jed Bradley>Henry Owens>Archie Bradley. And with the Sandwich pick(#34) I would go Michael Kelly>Alex Meyer>Tyler Anderson>Dillon Howard. There's a good chance one of those 3 pitchers will turn out to be an ace.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #291: March 24, 2011, 02:16:25 PM »
Owens struck out 12 while giving up 2 hits in his last outing.

Looks like a young Zito. From his size, hook, and laidback demeanor. Definitely worth a first rounder. If he can add some more velocity as he fills out, he'd be a true frontline guy.

He plays just a couple miles away. Hoping to make it out to a game this year, but hard to line up a day off with a day he starts.
You live in California? Henry Owens from Cali right, i'm not sure.

Offline RD

« Reply #292: March 24, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »
Im in favor of multiple pitchers, but don't know if Id go all 3. If it turns out that the best available talent at each pick is a pitcher, then Im down for that.

I just dont think we're so lacking in arms and so stacked in position players to load up on all arms.

We've got a decent amount of arms a year or two away from contributing at the big league level. No real aces, so Im in favor of grabbing a front line starter with 6.

Aside from Harper and Norris, we don't have a real great position player prospect.

I think pitching is ahead of the bats in our system.

If there's a bat at 23 or 33, Id definitely want to grab one. Would like to see two arms though.

Offline RD

« Reply #293: March 24, 2011, 02:21:49 PM »
You live in California? Henry Owens from Cali right, i'm not sure.

Yes. Orange County. Owens plays for a high school in Huntington Beach.

Offline blue911

« Reply #294: March 24, 2011, 02:54:49 PM »
Yes. Orange County. Owens plays for a high school in Huntington Beach.

which one?

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #295: March 24, 2011, 04:16:35 PM »
RD, for what it's worth. "Orange County" is one of my favorite movies. :mg:

Offline RD

« Reply #296: March 24, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »
RD, for what it's worth. "Orange County" is one of my favorite movies. :mg:

I saw that back in the day, before I moved to 'the OC.' Ive only been here for two years, since I got married. I actually saw it that it was coming on the other day, but didn't think much of it.

which one?

He plays for Edison high school.

Offline blue911

« Reply #297: March 24, 2011, 05:17:31 PM »
I saw that back in the day, before I moved to 'the OC.' Ive only been here for two years, since I got married. I actually saw it that it was coming on the other day, but didn't think much of it.

He plays for Edison high school.

thanks

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #298: March 24, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »
From that movie, I get the impression that people from the OC are a little to layed back.

Offline RD

« Reply #299: March 25, 2011, 12:25:35 AM »

Most things in TV that mention or focus on the OC tend to focus on the rich, upper class areas. The show 'The OC', Laguna Beach on MTV, etc all focused on rich, spoiled kids. If they dont dramatize that, they focus on the people that live at the beach and their surfer dude mentality.

A lot of that is true. But not all of the OC is like that. There are a lot of laid back people, because those types generally flock to the beach cities. But the OC isn't just on the beach. I dont live in those parts of the OC. Im in a traditional neighborhood ... Straight up middle working class, and people that have everyday stresses and deal with it. 

So some parts of the way its portrayed on TV is real but its a small portion. I think in general a lot of people in California have a laid back attitude, so maybe Im a bit more lenient on dishing out the ones that are over the top.