Author Topic: Follow the Minor League Teams (2012)  (Read 42994 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Re: Follow the Minor League Teams (2012)
« Reply #25: January 16, 2012, 11:03:17 PM »
Hitting .283 with a .319 OBP in high-A isn't going to cut it. He needs to hit closer to .300 or draw more walks to make it work.

.283 for a 21 year old guy from the Dominican where all the prospects are unbelievably unpolished is pretty respectable.  the OBP is something he needs to work on but there are guys in the majors who are just as bad at getting on base.  see desmond, ian

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #26: January 16, 2012, 11:05:22 PM »
Taylor is now in A ball, you have to move Perez along not to slow down Taylor's development.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that.

Not to mention he had to be added to the 40 man this offseason and his option clock is now ticking.

Did not know this either. Guess Perez does have to be moved up. Hopefully he's not too overmatched in AA.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #27: January 16, 2012, 11:06:29 PM »
.283 for a 21 year old guy from the Dominican where all the prospects are unbelievably unpolished is pretty respectable.  the OBP is something he needs to work on but there are guys in the majors who are just as bad at getting on base.  see desmond, ian

I'd like to think we're looking for guys better than Ian Desmond. Perez was really inconsistent last year, he seems to hit a lot like Guzman, when he's on fire, he is on base a ton but when he's cold, he's a black hole in the lineup.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #28: January 16, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »
I'd like to think we're looking for guys better than Ian Desmond. Perez was really inconsistent last year, he seems to hit a lot like Guzman, when he's on fire, he is on base a ton but when he's cold, he's a black hole in the lineup.

so he's streaky.  Zimm is streaky but he is a great player. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #29: January 16, 2012, 11:15:23 PM »
Having seen both play, I like Tyler Moore's chances of an MLB career better than Marrero's... But when it comes to tie breakers I understand why they went with the former 1st rounder.

Love the info on Taylor. Sounds like he could start, defensively, for the Nats in CF right now.

Peacock notwithstanding, they are still going to give the edge to the higher round pick.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: January 17, 2012, 08:24:39 AM »
Is Harrisburg even going to play in Harrisburg this year after that flood?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #31: February 10, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »
http://www.masnsports.com/byron_kerr/2012/02/walters-moving-up-shortstop-ladder.html

Shortstop Zach Walters, acquired from the Diamondbacks in the Jason Marquis deal last summer, was a nice pickup for the Nationals and is expected to make another big step this season. The Nationals showed their confidence in the San Diego product by selecting him to play in the Arizona Fall League. This experience, coupled with a hot bat, will pay dividends for him this upcoming campaign.

Nationals infield coordinator Jeff Garber kept a watchful eye on Walters and sees various top-level tools and excellent potential.

"Tremendous, tremendous athletic ability," Garber said when asked about Walters. "He has great instincts and is a very aggressive player. I really like what I saw. He has some things to polish, to shore up. He has got the versatlity to move around the infield and change positions, as we saw in Arizona where he played third base. He played (both positions for Single-A Potomac) and showed a tremendous arm.

Walters showcased consistency and an excellent batting eye with a .300 average, 34 doubles, seven triples, nine homers and 67 RBIs in 127 games between Potomac and Single-A South Bend.

"He is very quick," Garber continued. "He has just got to polish up his arm strength. Just like Ian (Desmond) and (Danny) Espinosa, when you have that strong of an arm, you've got to learn when to dial it in and when to just make good, fundamental, firm throws with accuracy. There is a lot of upside in what he has and (he can play) a variety of positions."

This is what really gets my attention when I research for these blogs - when instructors get so amped up and emotional about prospects - and I got that feeling with the way Garber described Walters.

With all these attributes, I would expect Walters to take his game to Double-A Harrisburg in 2012. This depends on the health of Rick Hague and where Chris McConnell will play. Other shortstops that played for Potomac included Jose Lozada and Francisco Soriano. The Nationals also have second baseman Jeff Kobernus and third baseman Stephen King.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: February 10, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »
Why is it when Byron Kerr writes about Walters's batting eye, he does not mention his Ks, BBs, BB:K, or pitches per plate appearance?  I don't know if his stats for those are good or bad. I have not looked them up, but I can't tell from Kerr's write up either.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #34: March 03, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
Thought of this today:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #35: March 22, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »
Nats drop to 12 on BA's list:

http://ht.ly/9ODo4

1. Texas Rangers
2. Kansas City Royals
3. San Diego Padres
4. Arizona Diamondbacks
5. Toronto Blue Jays
6. Seattle Mariners
7. Oakland Athletics
8. Tampa Bay Rays
9. Boston Red Sox
10. St. Louis Cardinals
11. Pittsburgh Pirates
12. Washington Nationals
13. New York Yankees
14. Chicago Cubs
15. Atlanta Braves
16. Cincinnati Reds
17. Colorado Rockies
18. Houston Astros
19. Los Angeles Angels
20. Minnesota Twins
21. Baltimore Orioles
22. San Francisco Giants
23. Detroit Tigers
24. Los Angeles Dodgers
25. New York Mets
26. Milwaukee Brewers
27. Philadelphia Phillies
28. Miami Marlins
29. Cleveland Indians
30. Chicago White Sox

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #36: March 31, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »
Purke, Ray and Hague to begin the year in XST.

Meyer to Hagerstown.

A quick note I just received on some top prospects for the Nationals who will begin the season in extended spring training in Viera, Fla., as they worked to get healthy and/or build strength.

Shortstop Rick Hague, who missed most of last season, continues rehabbing and gaining strength back in his shoulder while working in Florida. He is about a month away from playing time in the system.

Pitchers Matt Purke and Robbie Ray will also begin the season in Florida at extended spring training.

"Both Purke and Ray will start down here," Nationals director of player development Doug Harris said. "They are little bit behind. We are going to get them built up here" before the season begins.

Alex Meyer, the 23rd overall selection in the 2011 draft, will begin his pro career in Single-A Hagerstown. Right-hander Robert Gilliam, acquired in the Gio Gonzalez trade from Oakland A's, will begin season at Double-A Harrisburg.

http://www.masnsports.com/byron_kerr/2012/03/nationals-purke-ray-and-hague-will-begin-season-in-extended-spring-in-florida.html

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #37: March 31, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »
Awesome, I was hoping the Nats wouldn't push Purke and Ray too much.  Ray hit his innings limit with a few weeks left in the season last year, even after being held back in extended ST and Purke shouldn't be pushed too hard this season for obvious reasons.  A realistic amount of innings for both is somewhere in the 100-120 range.

It will be interesting to see how Hague looks upon his return as he was on fire to start the season last year before the injury.  If he is healthy, he is going to be a huge (re?)addition to the system.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #38: March 31, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »
Surprised Purke is "a little behind" seeing how he was in big league camp for a good chunk and reports were that he seemed to get it and was looking good.  But agreed with JMU in that there is no need to rush Purke/Ray. 

thanks for posting linty.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #39: March 31, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »
Also, Kerr has really stepped up the minor league reporting in the last year.  His reports have been a great source of information for the team's minor leaguers and has at least partially filled the hole left by NFABrian's departure.  He really has done an excellent job in this particular role.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #40: March 31, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »
i miss NFABrian.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #41: March 31, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »
i miss NFABrian.

Me too. His website was great

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #42: March 31, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »
any word on how Harper is doing?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #43: April 02, 2012, 07:47:12 PM »
List of 27 players that could potentially make the Harrisburg Senators 25 man roster. Two will be cut from the group in the next few days.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2012/04/nationals_prospects_destin_hoo.html

PITCHERS
SP Mike Ballard (AAA Norfolk, AA Bowie, ORIOLES)
RP Erik Davis (AA Harrisburg, A Potomac)
SP Paul Demny (A Potomac)
RP Marcos Frias (A Potomac)
RP Christian Garcia (A Auburn, AAA Syracuse)
SP Robert Gilliam (A Stockton, ATHLETICS)
RP Pat Lehman (A Potomac, AA Harrisburg)
SP Jeff Mandel (AA Harrisburg, AAA Syracuse)
RP Patrick McCoy (AA Harrisburg)
RP Hector Nelo (A Potomac)
RP Kevin Pucetas (AAA Omaha, ROYALS)
SP Danny Rosenbaum (A Potomac, AA Harrisburg)
RP Joe Testa (A Potomac)

HITTERS
C Jeff Howell (AA Portland, RED SOX)
C Devin Ivany (AA Harrisburg)
C Sandy Leon (A Potomac)
SS Josh Johnson (AA Harrisburg)
IF Stephen King (A Potomac, AA Harrisburg)
2B Jeff Kobernus (A Potomac)
IF Jose Lozada (A Potomac)
3B Manny Mayorson (AAA Las Vegas, BLUE JAYS)
IF Chris McConnell (AAA Syracuse, AA Harrisburg)
1B Tim Pahuta (AA Harrisburg)
OF Destin Hood (A Potomac)
OF Eury Perez (A Potomac)
OF Chris Rahl (AA Harrisburg)
OF Jesus Valdez (AA Harrisburg, AAA Syracuse)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #44: April 02, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »
:spaz: Really terrible roster outside of Hood.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #45: April 02, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »
Outside of Perez, not a single guy on the 40 man roster. That's terrible for a AA team.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #46: April 02, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »
Only players I really care about: Hood, Perez, Rosenbaum, Kobernus. Not a strong team, unfortunately...

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #47: April 03, 2012, 03:15:03 AM »
Stephen King is a good hitter. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: April 03, 2012, 08:53:28 AM »
Ballard has had his moments.  Interesting that there are a lot of AAA guys taking a step back. That's not the typical AA profile, which is more of a prospects league, i thought.  OTOH, Hood, Perez, Kobernus will not have players on training wheels around them.  That may help their development.  Also, I'd expect more midseason promotions from Potomac pushing aside some of the filler, especially a guy like Rendon or maybe Purke if healthy.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #49: April 03, 2012, 09:37:51 AM »
Sports Business Daily released their final rankings of minor league markets today.  Harrisburg was ranked as #1, Syracuse as 6, Auburn 48, Potomac 51, Hagerstown 57.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/08/15/Research-and-Ratings/Final-ranking.aspx