Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 61252 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #75: September 15, 2010, 05:33:56 PM »
Seeing as XP still has over 60% market share, a lot of people are still stuck looking at it all day.  What boggles my mind is the .06% of people using 98 still!

Yeah I know, I'm just saying that in a purely aesthetic/technical discussion, there's no reason to bring up XP unless you're writing a horribly biased piece for "PC"World.

Somewhat related - have you ever tried cleartype tuner for XP?  It's not perfect but it at least lets you adjust the default cleartype a little bit.  Couldn't hurt.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #76: September 15, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »
Seeing as XP still has over 60% market share, a lot of people are still stuck looking at it all day.  What boggles my mind is the .06% of people using 98 still!

Those who have Win 95 I guess exit to MS DOS?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #77: September 15, 2010, 05:35:27 PM »
I only use XP at work, so I doubt I could install the tuner.  I just leave cleartype off.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #78: September 15, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »
I only use XP at work, so I doubt I could install the tuner.  I just leave cleartype off.

There's a web-based version.  Dunno if it's any good but it can't hurt to try:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/step1.aspx

Those who have Win 95 I guess exit to MS DOS?

Loading doom2.wad.............................. ....................................... ......................

;)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #79: September 15, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »

Loading doom2.wad.............................. ....................................... ......................

;)
Actually, that worked pretty well.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #80: September 30, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »
WTF.  I've been getting multiple calls everyday on my cell phone, from a number I don't recognize.  At first I thought it might have been newegg because I was 2 days late submitting my payment (oops).  My iPhone says the call is from the "Palmdale area".

Finally today I got the call when I could answer it (previously they were calling while I was at work).  It was freaking Microsoft wanting to know why I hadn't resubed to TechNet.  I was like well, it doesn't expire until the end of October, and I don't know if I want to pay $300+ again.  She tried to sell me on a cheaper version that's like $150. 

I said I'd probably renew, but not until later in October, and she wanted to call me back in 2 weeks as a "courtesy call" if I hadn't renewed by then.  That's not a courtesy, that's just pissing me the freak off!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #81: September 30, 2010, 06:44:25 PM »
They called me quite a bit when mine was coming up on expiration, too.  And for a while after as well.  I finally told them I was planning to renew for Christmas and they were cool with that, haven't heard from them since.  Given the recent slashing of product keys I don't know if I'll actually follow through with that anymore.  I've already got more keys than I'll likely ever need from my last sub.

I guess I understand your frustration, but it didn't really bother me.  At least it's a service I actually liked and might be interested in again.  It's the freaking blood donation people that are annoying.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #82: September 30, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »
They called me quite a bit when mine was coming up on expiration, too.  And for a while after as well.  I finally told them I was planning to renew for Christmas and they were cool with that, haven't heard from them since.  Given the recent slashing of product keys I don't know if I'll actually follow through with that anymore.  I've already got more keys than I'll likely ever need from my last sub.

I guess I understand your frustration, but it didn't really bother me.  At least it's a service I actually liked and might be interested in again.  It's the freaking blood donation people that are annoying.
It's not that they called, it's that they called multiple times per day that pissed me off in the first place, and didn't leave a message.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #83: September 30, 2010, 06:48:51 PM »
I don't think they ever called me more than once every day or two.  Also no messages, but I knew it was them because I had answered once previously and told them I was busy.

Maybe they're hitting the phones extra hard because they're pressed for resubs after they welched on half the keys that most people paid for :?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #84: September 30, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
I don't think they ever called me more than once every day or two.  Also no messages, but I knew it was them because I had answered once previously and told them I was busy.

Maybe they're hitting the phones extra hard because they're pressed for resubs after they welched on half the keys that most people paid for :?
I might take the $150 option.  Or I might just grab all the keys I can in a text file and say freak it.

But seriously, yesterday I had 3 calls from that number.  1 today that I finally was able to answer, and 2 each of the previous few days.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #85: September 30, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »
I might take the $150 option.  Or I might just grab all the keys I can in a text file and say freak it.

But seriously, yesterday I had 3 calls from that number.  1 today that I finally was able to answer, and 2 each of the previous few days.

That's what I did - emailed all the keys to myself via gmail and archived 'em.  I originally signed up in anticipation of the Windows 7 launch, and I lucked into getting Office 2010 as well within the same 1-year period.  I can't really think of anything else I'd want or need within the next year, and it's not like I can't just sign up again any time if something does come along.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #86: September 30, 2010, 06:57:07 PM »
That's what I did - emailed all the keys to myself via gmail and archived 'em.  I originally signed up in anticipation of the Windows 7 launch, and I lucked into getting Office 2010 as well within the same 1-year period.  I can't really think of anything else I'd want or need within the next year, and it's not like I can't just sign up again any time if something does come along.
True.  I think the keys are the same for every version now too, IE 5 TOTAL Windows 7 keys, I thought it used to be like 10 keys for Ultimate, 10 keys for Home Pro, etc.

Good idea about gmail, archive 'em.  That way I don't lose them.  I had to install Office 2007 for school, but I'll want to get 2010 once I'm done with this BS core course.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #87: September 30, 2010, 07:07:03 PM »
True.  I think the keys are the same for every version now too, IE 5 TOTAL Windows 7 keys, I thought it used to be like 10 keys for Ultimate, 10 keys for Home Pro, etc.

If that's true then that is a rip-off of epic proportions, especially for people who were already in the middle of a subscription.  I've got 10 keys each for Premium, Pro, and Ultimate.  I didn't even bother with the other versions as that's already far more than I'll ever need.  Though I'd still have been calling for someone's head on a stick if they pulled that crap while I was still a member.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #88: September 30, 2010, 07:14:38 PM »
I'm wrong.  It's 5 total for Ultimate and Ultimate K (whatever that is) and combined 64 bit and 32 bit versions.  Then 5 for all versions of Pro, 5 for all version of Home, etc.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #89: September 30, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »
When they call you again you should ask if you're getting your renewal for half price.

Offline PC

« Reply #90: October 02, 2010, 12:06:24 AM »
When they call you again you should ask if you're getting your renewal for half price.

This is what pisses me off and I was just coming to post it.  They email (or MAIL you, SNAIL MAIL) you an offer to renew that's exactly the same price as it is for everybody to renew.  That ain't an offer!  They even give you a code for it!  They give you a code for the regular price!  

I also have an MSDN subscription (which expires in November) and that's the one they sent me a snail mail "offer" today, for the regular renewal price.  :roll:

My MSDN subscription is why cutting the number of keys for Technet wasn't that big a deal because the # of Windows keys in MSDN is still 10 for each SKU.  My MSDN sub doesn't include Office, though, so the reduction in those keys was a loss for me.

Offline PC

« Reply #91: October 02, 2010, 12:10:23 AM »
I'm wrong.  It's 5 total for Ultimate and Ultimate K (whatever that is) and combined 64 bit and 32 bit versions.  Then 5 for all versions of Pro, 5 for all version of Home, etc.

Ultimate K is Ultimate without Messenger and related things.  K is for Korea.

Nothing stops you from installing the Messenger stuff on the K SKU's or the Media players stuff with the N (European Union) SKU's.  Once you do that, they function just like the no-lettered SKU's.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #92: October 02, 2010, 12:15:58 AM »
Ultimate K is Ultimate without Messenger and related things.  K is for Korea.

Nothing stops you from installing the Messenger stuff on the K SKU's or the Media players stuff with the N (European Union) SKU's.  Once you do that, they function just like the no-lettered SKU's.
Yeah, but no reason to get K if it shares license codes with the normal versions.  It used to be 10 for normal and 10 for K, right?  Now it's 5 for k and regular combined.

Offline PC

« Reply #93: October 02, 2010, 12:23:03 AM »
Yeah, but no reason to get K if it shares license codes with the normal versions.  It used to be 10 for normal and 10 for K, right?  Now it's 5 for k and regular combined.

I think the no-letter and the K were always grouped together and the N and the KN are grouped together so for Ultimate, Ultimate K and Ultimate are together and Ultimate N and Ultimate KN are together.  You can install Messenger on K and KN and Media Player on N and KN and what you'll end up with, functionally, is a no-letter version.

So, in reality, you have 10 Ultimate keys, total (used to be 20)...and 10 Professional and 10 Home Premium and 10 Starter but only 5 Home Basic because that version isn't available in Korea or the EU.

...and I forgot, 1 Enterprise which is multiple activation (100 activations is what I've read but Microsoft won't confirm) and the one Enterprise key is for all of them, no-letter, K, N and KN.

« Reply #94: October 03, 2010, 04:30:28 PM »
Got one word "Mac"

Offline Nathan

« Reply #95: October 03, 2010, 04:37:51 PM »
I have one of them too.

Offline PC

« Reply #96: October 28, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
Office 2011 for the Mac is available on TechNet!  If only I had a Mac. :lol:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #97: October 28, 2010, 08:11:44 PM »
Office 2011 for the Mac is available on TechNet!  If only I had a Mac. :lol:
If only my sub didn't just expire!  Though I was able to grab some keys, I was never able to get the download link to work, so I don't actually have the disk image to install it :(

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #98: October 28, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »
i should have it in a few weeks, I also just found out that I'm going to get a 13" Air to replace my 3 year old MacBook Pro.  I can't wait.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #99: October 28, 2010, 09:35:30 PM »

;)

microsoft just released Office 365, which is fully web-based.

BTW, IBM Lotus just freely released Symphony 3.0, which is built on OpenOffice 3.  I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.