Author Topic: National League Division Series, Game 2  (Read 72689 times)

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Re: National League Division Series, Game 2
« Reply #1150: October 08, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »
How is it possible Davey didn't know Stammen was feeling well until after he took him out today though?

Same way they didn't know H-Rod was injured for weeks and weeks. They The players try to hide it. Same thing happened to Morse with his wrist, Desi with his oblique, etc.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #1151: October 08, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »
Jamie Garcia OFF POSTSEASON ROSTER WITH ARM SORENESS.  TO UNDERGO MRI!

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1152: October 08, 2012, 10:26:25 PM »
Is he hurt?  Isn't that the only way you can make in-series changes?

ST. LOUIS • After being removed in the second inning of his start Monday, Cardinals lefty Jaime Garcia was taken for a scan of his left shoulder during the game to determine if the injury that put him on the disabled list during the season has resurfaced.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #1153: October 08, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »
Garcia wasn't going to pitch again anyways. Let's hope we avoid a Game 5 so we don't have to face Wainwright and that curve ball again :nervous:

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1154: October 08, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »
Garcia wasn't going to pitch again anyways. Let's hope we avoid a Game 5 so we don't have to face Wainwright and that curve ball again :nervous:

But now they can bring in a bench player or another reliever, someone who will serve a purpose unlike Garcia who would be watching the rest of the series from the bench.  Gives them a bit of an advantage.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #1155: October 08, 2012, 10:45:43 PM »
They have to replace him with a pitcher.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #1156: October 08, 2012, 10:47:14 PM »
Scuttlebut is Westbrook.

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #1157: October 08, 2012, 10:50:16 PM »
At least we get a day off to recoup and stew over today's sorry performance. 

I hope every Nat took time off tonight to kick a few back and forget this one. 

I know I am trying....

Offline Fan037

« Reply #1158: October 08, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »
Boy, I'm sure glad we squeaked out a win on Sunday because today's game was a real stinker.  A must win for us on Wednesday!  Let's hope we play the way we did for 98 games.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1159: October 08, 2012, 11:29:18 PM »
Is anyone annoyed like me that Dick Stockton said John Jay's catch in CF today was the play of the series ?  Jayson Werth's catch yesterday to stop a HR saved the game for us and was a harder play than Jay's today.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1160: October 08, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »
Is anyone annoyed like me that Dick Stockton said John Jay's catch in CF today was the play of the series ?  Jayson Werth's catch yesterday to stop a HR saved the game for us and was a harder play than Jay's today.

+1.  Jay's catch was spectacular, but it meant nothing in regards to the outcome of the game.  I agree Werth's was probably a better play.

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #1161: October 08, 2012, 11:50:14 PM »

Yep.

Werth robbed a could-be home run that had a direct impact on the outcome.  Jay caught a ball and hit the wall.  Kudos to him for holding on (eff the Cards), but Werth's catch was much much better

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #1162: October 08, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »
Also, did anyone notice that the highlight montage after Sunday's game (Nats win) were heavily favored for the Cards.  Of the the 12-15 highlights, only 2...2! were of Nats plays. 

If one were to base the outcome of that game based on the highlights, one would think that the Cards beat the crap out of our Nats, yet we won!

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #1163: October 09, 2012, 12:17:49 AM »

Yep.

He was pulled to bring in some offense.  Now that he wont pitch again in the series, they give an "MRI" and replace him with another pitcher.

Unfortunately, the Nats don't have another pitcher worthy of the postseason, other wise Davey would do the same with Zimm, right?

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1164: October 09, 2012, 02:33:49 AM »
I'm glad they lost, now I feel better for everyone who bought the home game #2 tix. Enjoy the NLDS clinch guys

(Filling out my SSS application now)

Offline grizzly

« Reply #1165: October 09, 2012, 06:42:04 AM »
I'm glad they lost, now I feel better for everyone who bought the home game #2 tix. Enjoy the NLDS clinch guys

(Filling out my SSS application now)

You're not very familiar with sports are you?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1166: October 09, 2012, 07:03:47 AM »
You're not very familiar with sports are you?

Pretty sure this guy is new to baseball.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1167: October 09, 2012, 08:03:15 AM »
I meant series clinch/win/whatever but regardless, my original intent still stands. And yes, this is my first season being anything more than a casual fan

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1168: October 09, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »
Yesterday's match was indeed dire...but it has to be remembered that the Cardinals are the defending World Series champions...and even though none of their 11 World Series titles (second only to the Yankees) is a back-to-back, they aren't going to go down easily.

They pay the other guys too.

Hopefully the lads will get it back together and win tomorrow...in front of a theoretical home crowd that will probably be at least 1/3 Cardinals supporters (have we forgotten the RFK days when they used to turn out almost as strongly as Cubs and Mets supporters did back then?)...just look at all the WNFF members who can't go because of the start time...at least the TBSITH neighbourhood should be more or less solid....

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1169: October 09, 2012, 08:47:26 AM »
Yesterday's match was indeed dire...but it has to be remembered that the Cardinals are the defending World Series champions...and even though none of their 11 World Series titles (second only to the Yankees) is a back-to-back, they aren't going to go down easily.

This is why the Cards get all the love.   Their brand is better known nationally than ours and they've actually won post season series.    Let them have their moment before we finish them off.   It'll make it all the sweeter.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #1170: October 09, 2012, 08:56:01 AM »

Don't forget that Stockton called a diving stop by Descalso the defensive play of the game a half-inning (I think) after Werth's catch.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #1171: October 09, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
What really bugs me is all of a sudden the next to pitching match-ups heavily favor the Cards.  That said, I trust Jackson as much as anybody in this situation. Does Gio go game 4 if the Cards win game 3? 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1172: October 09, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »
What really bugs me is all of a sudden the next to pitching match-ups heavily favor the Cards.  That said, I trust Jackson as much as anybody in this situation. Does Gio go game 4 if the Cards win game 3? 

Right now, per ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/wsh/washington-nationals), the upcoming pitching match-ups run thus:

Game 3 - Jackson vs Carpenter
Game 4 - Detwiler vs Lohse
Game 5 - Gonzalez vs Wainwright

Offline Fan037

« Reply #1173: October 09, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »

Excellent question.  I don't know the answer but Gio wasn't too sharp initially in his first appearance having walked seven batters.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #1174: October 09, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »
The Cards are glory hounds. Kick their teeth in. We need more Ty Cobb attitude around here.