Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Eury Perez, CF  (Read 22448 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Follow the Prospects: Eury Perez, CF
« Reply #100: August 05, 2012, 02:54:51 AM »
Yes, BUT, with speed and defense, which makes him valuable.... And two things in which Guzman did not possess.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #101: August 05, 2012, 11:09:13 AM »
Could he be comparable to Peter Bourjos? They seem to have a similar skillset.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #102: August 05, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »
Maybe this year's PB

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #103: August 06, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
I really am liking Eury Perez's potential as a backup. If he develops a plus level glove as projected and keeps his OBP north of .300 he may even earn spot starts as early as late 2013 in center field. It'd be nice if his OBP stabilized, and I think that is possible to do as he matures and spends enough time at one level to adapt to pitchers and their adjustments to him.

We don't need him to be a world beater with the bat if he offers good defense and base running. No reason a guy like him can't develop into a solid piece for the Nats. We have a team being built with a focus on defense and he brings that.

I'm high on him. Hopefully he shows something in September that keeps him in the plans for next season.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #104: August 06, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »
I really am liking Eury Perez's potential as a backup. If he develops a plus level glove as projected and keeps his OBP north of .300 he may even earn spot starts as early as late 2013 in center field. It'd be nice if his OBP stabilized, and I think that is possible to do as he matures and spends enough time at one level to adapt to pitchers and their adjustments to him.

We don't need him to be a world beater with the bat if he offers good defense and base running. No reason a guy like him can't develop into a solid piece for the Nats. We have a team being built with a focus on defense and he brings that.

I'm high on him. Hopefully he shows something in September that keeps him in the plans for next season.

His OBP will never develop.

Career BB% rates

GCL - 7.3%
Low A - 4.7%
High A - 4.7%
AA - 1.9%
AAA - 4.7%

He's completely dependent on getting base hits. I urge people not to fall in love with this guy... because he's never going to be a long term piece for the Nats.

Of course I could be completely wrong and he could be the Nats CF'er for the next 10 years! I guess you never know!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #105: August 06, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »
Nook Logan.  Not more than that on offense.  Glove, I'll leave to others.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #106: August 06, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »
His OBP will never develop.

Career BB% rates

GCL - 7.3%
Low A - 4.7%
High A - 4.7%
AA - 1.9%
AAA - 4.7%

He's completely dependent on getting base hits. I urge people not to fall in love with this guy... because he's never going to be a long term piece for the Nats.

Of course I could be completely wrong and he could be the Nats CF'er for the next 10 years! I guess you never know!
He has flaws like any prospect and I recognize it is entirely possible he hits the majors and is completely overwhelmed at the plate. I don't expect him to be the answer in center field, but I think he fits the profile of a 5th outfielder who has a couple tools that can change a game.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #107: August 06, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »
Really?  People are all excited about Nook Logan v2.0?  I guess we're all drinking the Kool Aid considering how good the big league team is right now.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #108: August 06, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »
Really?  People are all excited about Nook Logan v2.0?  I guess we're all drinking the Kool Aid considering how good the big league team is right now.
I said he has potential to be a #5 OF. How did you get "all excited" out of that?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #109: August 06, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
Sorry, read your post about him possibly becoming a "solid piece" and thought you meant something more.  Was more so referring to some posts up-thread comparing him to Bourjos (doesn't walk as much), etc.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #110: August 08, 2012, 10:46:32 AM »
Sorry, read your post about him possibly becoming a "solid piece" and thought you meant something more.  Was more so referring to some posts up-thread comparing him to Bourjos (doesn't walk as much), etc.

Well I'm not that high on Bourjos either. Bourjos does walk slightly more but makes a ton less contact. Strikeout rates don't always project well from the minors to the bigs but I thought it was an interesting comparison. Both seem to be all glove/speed and no bat kinda players.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #111: August 08, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »
I find all this speculation on the future outfielders for the Nats rather amusing. There are great contribitors on this board and thread but these guys ( Goodwin , Hood , Perez) are prospects. None of them will get a cuppa until 2014 and then only possibly September.

I think we should be speaking about Moore , Brown and Bernie as our back ups next year and will they get enough AB's to warrant the two rookies being kept up here.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #112: August 08, 2012, 01:20:44 PM »
September 2014 would mean another two years in AAA for Perez and over a year of AAA for hood and Goodwin. Especially with Goodwin, there is nothing to suggest that this team will leave a top prospect in syracuse for that amount of time

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #113: August 08, 2012, 01:26:56 PM »
Perez needs to stay in AAA until he learns how to draw a walk; he's very young so there's no hurry. I think Goodwin is the closest - if he puts up an excellent campaign next year, we might see him September 2013. If he struggles, though, there's no hurry with him either. Goodwin's actually the youngest of the three, but they're all 21-22.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #114: August 08, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »
I just think, especially with goodwin, there is no way he repeats aaa barring injury or sucking

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #115: August 08, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »
I just think, especially with goodwin, there is no way he repeats aaa barring injury or sucking

I can see Goodwin starting next year in Harrisburg and after their ASB going to Syracuse. I think his performance dictates where he ends up. Will the Nats bring him up in September like they did Brown? It really depends upon him.

I have been on this site for about 4-5 years and I marvel at how individuals are projecting future lineups on the Nats and are proposing trades of current players as if we have MLB ready replacements on the farm.. How many of the current 25 besides Harp , Stras and Zimm actually made it and lived up to their projections when drafted or were dealt for by trades? IIRC Espinosa was highly regarded mainly because he was a product of a college (SDS ? ) that produced so many great MI.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #116: August 08, 2012, 02:11:05 PM »

How many of the current 25 besides Harp , Stras and Zimm actually made it and lived up to their projections when drafted or were dealt for by trades? IIRC Espinosa was highly regarded mainly because he was a product of a college (SDS ? ) that produced so many great MI.

Gio clippard Storen morse Desmond Burnett Zimmermann also fit that description

Online Slateman

« Reply #117: August 08, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »
Rickey Henderson 2.0

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #118: August 08, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »

Clippard, Morse, Lannan, and Lombardozzi hugely exceeded projections, and so did Detwiler if your projection in 2006 was power reliever.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #119: August 08, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »

I should have clarified my remark when drafted by the Nats or TRADED FOR WHEN THEY WERE PROSPECTS.

Gio was an all star. Clip was with the Yankees and considered dispensible,Morse languished in LA and then Seatlle before being traded for Langernhaus,Lannan isn't on the 25 and was never projected as anything other than what he is now, I have no clue about Burnett as a prospect but he was deemed finished in Pittsburgh before he was non-tendered and Zimmermann was a find in the supplemental draft from an unheralded college ( he is my favorite of the starters and I wanted him to pitch OD). I have no clue what was said about Zimmnn when he was draFTED AND WHERE HE WAS PROJECTED. eVERY PLAYER IS DRAFTED WITH THE HOPES THEY WILL MAKE THE MAJORS. nO ONE DRAFTS "FILLER" They are all projected with some success in the show.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #120: August 08, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »
Clippard was considered a prospect, albeit a fringe one - #5 starter material. Lannan was never expected to make the majors, until right before he did. Ditto Stammen. Lombardozzi was projected as a backup who gets by on hard-nosed D alone. However you slice it, we definitely have more than 3 players who made or beat their projections as prospects.

Prior to the 2008 season, Baseball America ranked JZimm our #7 prospect, behind Balester, McGeary, and Smoker. He was projected to be a #5 starter in 2011 (and Ian Desmond was cited for his defense alone).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #121: August 08, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »
nO ONE DRAFTS "FILLER" They are all projected with some success in the show.

Most players drafted are drafted with the expectation that they will never sniff the majors

Online Slateman

« Reply #122: August 08, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
Most players drafted are drafted with the expectation that they will never sniff the majors

Most players are drafted with the UNDERSTANDING that they will probably never sniff the majors. That's different than expectations.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #123: August 08, 2012, 03:40:29 PM »

I disagree. Yes , they are drafted in descending order with the odds growing greater with each subsequent round of not making it , but they do not know which one will not make it. They hope to glean gold. Why pay money or waste valuable resources  ( coaches  medical , expenses and salaries) if they had a predictor that was infalliable. I stand by my statement that there is a chance for every prospect to turn into a Zimmermann. They just don't know which one.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #124: August 08, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »
There is always a chance, but by the time you're out of the first few rounds it's remote enough to say the players were drafted as filler with the hope a few will defy expectations.

As far as the original comment about how many on the twenty five man lived up to expectations people had as prospects, here's a question- how many haven't? I can think of Flores and that's about it