Author Topic: Nationals vs Diamondbacks, Game 3  (Read 7899 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Nationals vs Diamondbacks, Game 3
« Reply #125: August 15, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »
Just got back from the game, what a great one. Strasburg was back in form, Zimm hit a freaking blast, and Willingham finally got one out too!

That said, I posted about this Tuesday. They drew under 26k for that game. Today, they drew 21,695 for a Sunday Strasburg start? WTF? And you can't blame the weather, every forecast even at 11pm last night was calling for a sunny day. And the rain clouds actually made the game more tolerable. I said Tuesday that it didn't mean much, it was a weeknight start, etc. And I said the real test was Sunday, that if they didn't draw then, there should be some alarm in the FO. I'd say 21.5k on a Sunday Strasburg following Tuesdays lackluster sales is really, really worrisome going into next season as far as how much of a draw Strasburg is going to be long term in this city. It looks like either people saw him once, and that's enough for DC fair weather fans, or a lot of people got pissed off when he got removed on Miss Iowa night. 40k that game, then 26k on a Tuesday and even less than that on Sunday? I guarantee the FO is concerned right now. That boosted revenue Strasburg brings in is definitely I portent to this franchise... Am I overblowing it? I don't know how you can't be a little worried about almost 20k on a Sunday in August, with excellent weather forecast up until a few hours before the game, for Strasburg. It's not a good sign about DC residents interest going forward.

The team has to be here for another 20+ years, correct? I'm not too worried about how big the crowds are, ever.

Also, check your PM!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #126: August 15, 2010, 07:12:53 PM »
Strasburg's DL stint along with our suddenly average play against the Dodgers and sweep at the hands of the Marlins absolutely killed all the positive momentum.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #127: August 15, 2010, 07:20:25 PM »
Burnett is sick nasty.

Yeah he is. He's locating his pitches better than anyone else right now. And I think he's throwing harder.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #128: August 15, 2010, 07:58:14 PM »
Rather a good day for the local sides - Nats win and Mystics clinch a playoff berth with their win over Seattle coupled with Connecticut's loss to Indiana - first time ever the Stics have reached the post-season in consecutive years.

(Stayed at the Nats through five then headed up the Green line to the Mystics' 16.00 tip-off...rather a nice day to be a DC sports fan.)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #129: August 15, 2010, 08:03:20 PM »
Nats Park is freaking awesome. Great game.

You finally made it.  :clap:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #130: August 15, 2010, 08:05:15 PM »
You finally made it.  :clap:

Finally. Everything was great... except those damn statues. Those are terrible. I do like the faces, though.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #131: August 15, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »
Finally. Everything was great... except those damn statues. Those are terrible. I do like the faces, though.

I agree about the statues. They're an embarrassment.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #132: August 15, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »
The statues are weird but they are growing on me. It is like they stepped out of a comic book or are some kind of stylish industrial accident. Besides you can always pick out first time visitors because of that WTF look on their faces when they see them.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #133: August 15, 2010, 08:27:39 PM »
Ugh, I still hate them.

I want to take a chainsaw to them and cut them down.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #134: August 15, 2010, 08:37:33 PM »
The play has been lousy lately and I think the weather looked very threatening (at least where I live) and that contributed to the lack of attendance.  Having Strasburg in for the entire game next year should help as well.  Now you're lucky to see him for 5 innings.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #135: August 15, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »
Glad to hear you made it out ronny.  It truly is top 10-15 park.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #136: August 15, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »
We aren't going to sell out every Strasburg start. If they want better attendance, they need to build a winning team that is exciting for casual fans every game, not a team that is exciting for half a game every five games.

Anyway, it was actually pretty nice weather for the game. All three of those home runs were no-doubters of the bat.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #137: August 16, 2010, 12:02:50 AM »

The saddest part of all is I fear they are there for good. I simply don't see them going away, despite the universal disdain. They literally are an embarrassment, having that be the first thing someone coming to our park sees their first visit. Whatever idiot thought having an animated statue was a good idea... All I can say is they were high on acid while designing them. What's inexcusable are the idiots that saw the work they commissioned, and accepted it.

But I am willing to bet they are there 40 years from now. I just hope they don't move them when we get a new park in a half century or so... I have a fear they'll follow us until I'm in my grave.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #138: August 16, 2010, 08:54:28 AM »
Good day all round for the local sides - Nats win and the Mystics clinch a playoff berth (first time ever in back-to-back seasons) and set a new franchise record for wins.