Author Topic: You can just feel it. This is where.....  (Read 8194 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: You can just feel it. This is where.....
« Reply #25: May 22, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »
LOL

We've been hovering around 500 all year

We aren't any more, and that's all that matters.  21-25 is not that close to .500 (it's around .450 as a win %).

You were saying this crap last year, and then the team went to crap and you gave up.

Wake up, sister.  It's the same crap, different year.  This isn't even a major league offense.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #26: May 22, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »
We aren't any more, and that's all that matters.  21-25 is not that close to .500 (it's around .450 as a win %).

You were saying this crap last year, and then the team went to crap and you gave up.

Wake up, sister.  It's the same crap, different year.  This isn't even a major league offense.

While I do agree this is a bad offense and they are in the lower half of baseball where bad offenses are found. What do you consider a major league offense? Offense is done once again this year and this might be a decade where we see a lot of low scoring teams.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #27: May 22, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
Call me gullible, I can't tell if this is intended as one of those "joke" theads.  If this is all serious, I find all this gloom and doom  discussion, frankly, ridiculous.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #28: May 22, 2011, 07:42:42 PM »
I do hope that the players keep fighting it and bust through.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #29: May 22, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »
While I do agree this is a bad offense and they are in the lower half of baseball where bad offenses are found. What do you consider a major league offense? Offense is done once again this year and this might be a decade where we see a lot of low scoring teams.

A team should have a combined OPS+ of about >88

This team is sitting in the low 80's, which is about replacement level.  You might as well call up everyone at Syracuse and replace the entire offense.  That's how putrid it is.

Offline Cinqo de Mayo

« Reply #30: May 22, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
Stairs should be released tomorrow.  No excuses, no b.s.  This guy has had 2 months to prove he still belongs on a major league roster and he's failed miserably.  I have nothing against Stairs, but hopefully he does the right thing here, approaches Riggleman and Rizzo in the next few days, and just retires.
Stairs doesn't hurt a good team, but kills a team already flirting with mediocrity.

Didn't know LaRoche was injured, but if he were a horse, it would be time to break mout the rifle.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #31: May 22, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »
Always a ray of sunshine

Hovering around .500? What?! We are 4 under and will be 10 under by the end of May.

This team has blown it. Another season down the toilet

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #32: May 22, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »
Fine.  If you don't think that they'll win and they've taken a turn for the worse then DON'T WATCH!  Baseball is about hope and we'll get 'em next time.  I agree with WPA, no one knows what's going to happen or not happen.  People said that yesterday was the end of civilization as we know it.  Well I'm alive.  Are you?

Doom and gloomers thought we'd lose all the games to SF too!  We not only beat them 3 out of 4 games but also their #1 pitcher.  This team gets up depending on the skill of our opponents.   It's been my experience that all DC teams do at one time or another.  Its the so called "lousy" teams we lose to!  I mean the Wizards beat the Heat for gosh sakes!   

On any given day any team can beat any other team.  That's why there's sports!  You never know.   

As for me, I'll keep root root rooting for the home team.   If they don't win it's a shame....

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #33: May 22, 2011, 08:43:43 PM »
As for me, I'll keep root root rooting for the home team.   If they don't win it's a shame....

:clap:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #34: May 22, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »
Baseball is about hope and we'll get 'em next time.

Baseball is about hitting and throwing a ball and winning games. We the fans only see that 60-70 times a year. I've grown tired of seeing that. I want to see .500 baseball all season.

I don't know how not watching solves any problems for this team because no one here said they are jumping ship or anything similar. People just want to see a different outcome day after day/end of the season rather than the painful 5 years of losing ball we've seen. It's been pretty agonizing and I can't imagine what it would feel like with more losing years (looking at you Royals, Os and Pirates). I don't think we will suffer that long (I have a feeling next year we can turn it around), however, I'm tired of not seeing these players produce day after day. It's a shame really because of the way our pitchers are throwing.

This team has to make moves asap: Fix LaRoche's shoulder, Get rid of Stairs, send down Bixler. With those done, call up Marerro and/or move Morse to 1b. I doubt it will make a huge impact but its better to make a change for the better instead of trotting out injured LaRoche and useless Stairs everyday.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #35: May 22, 2011, 09:30:01 PM »
Baseball is about hitting and throwing a ball and winning games.

"The name of the game is hit the ball, catch the ball, and get the freakin job done."

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #36: May 22, 2011, 09:30:28 PM »
I don't think we're as bad as we have been in the past.. however, certain moves need to be made if we want to stay a couple games back all year (of .500), and not 15-20. Releasing Stiars, getting LaRoche's should fixed and sending down Bixler should be obvious. That gives us three spots to work with.. Marerro/Detwiler/somebody, idk.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #37: May 22, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »
A team should have a combined OPS+ of about >88

This team is sitting in the low 80's, which is about replacement level.  You might as well call up everyone at Syracuse and replace the entire offense.  That's how putrid it is.

Surprisingly by your defenition the Phillies and Rockies don't have a Major League offense. Of course for the Phillies I kind of agree, but that changes Monday. The Rockies have a combined OPS+ of 85. I haven't seen them at all this year, but they have good players. Unless their problem is the rest of the line-up besides Tulo and CarGo. Everytime I look at any offensive stat the only thing I can think is god the Twins are awful. No matter what I want to say about the state of offense in general I keep getting distracted by the Twins. I am also not sure OPS+ is the best stat to judge team offense as really it is all about runs scored. A team with a low OPS+ or wOBA likely won't sustain low runs scored, but the Rockies are near the bottom in OPS+, but near the top in Runs. When it comes to a player those stats might be better and no one should judge any player on Runs, but it is all that matters for a team. If today proved anything it is that a high OBP doesn't mean crap in an individual game.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #38: May 22, 2011, 09:41:41 PM »
"The name of the game is hit the ball, catch the ball, and get the freakin job done."

QFMFT  freak trite platitudes!   :evil:

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #39: May 22, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »
Surprisingly by your defenition the Phillies and Rockies don't have a Major League offense. Of course for the Phillies I kind of agree, but that changes Monday. The Rockies have a combined OPS+ of 85. I haven't seen them at all this year, but they have good players.

Get back to me at the end of the year.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #40: May 22, 2011, 09:57:14 PM »
Way too many Orioles fans at that game.  I guess that's what it's like to have a winning team har har. 

The beer man said that he hadn't seen so many Orioles fans in the park in ages.  I guess at least we managed to coax all of them out into daylight. 

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #41: May 22, 2011, 09:57:41 PM »
Get back to me at the end of the year.

Why does this line of thinking only apply to other teams?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #42: May 22, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »
Why does this line of thinking only apply to other teams?

I'm assuming this has to do with the two teams you mentioned (Phillies and Rockies).

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #43: May 22, 2011, 10:11:53 PM »
I think I adressed my full thoughts on that before. When Utley comes back so does the Phillies offense. If we use Runs instead of OPS+ then the Rockies are a top offense not a bottom one.

It just have a feeling something might happen in June to help the Nats offense.

Offline PC

« Reply #44: May 22, 2011, 10:15:01 PM »
It just have a feeling something might happen in June to help the Nats offense.

...by which time we'll be 15 games under .500.  :|

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #45: May 22, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »

Wow, read much?

Pretty sure I'm the one who's been saying this team is going to lose a lot of games and to flip out after every loss is a waste of energy.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #46: May 22, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »
Fine.  If you don't think that they'll win and they've taken a turn for the worse then DON'T WATCH!  Baseball is about hope and we'll get 'em next time.  I agree with WPA, no one knows what's going to happen or not happen.  People said that yesterday was the end of civilization as we know it.  Well I'm alive.  Are you?

Doom and gloomers thought we'd lose all the games to SF too!  We not only beat them 3 out of 4 games but also their #1 pitcher.  This team gets up depending on the skill of our opponents.   It's been my experience that all DC teams do at one time or another.  Its the so called "lousy" teams we lose to!  I mean the Wizards beat the Heat for gosh sakes!   

On any given day any team can beat any other team.  That's why there's sports!  You never know.   

My thoughts, to. This team has good starting pitching, and maybe the best relief pitching I have ever seen. [Note: I saw the late '90s Yankees, the Nelson->Stanton->Mo teams, but AL managers have a simpler job in handling pitchers.]. They can field, and the utility guys are decent. No complaints about Hairston and Cora, who should not have to start. Oh, but the hitting!!!!

Cut Stairs, find a 1B (Morse?), bring up Flores, who can hit .240 as well as anyone. Ankiel might help some, and Zimmerman could help a lot once he's in shape.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #47: May 22, 2011, 11:30:34 PM »
Wow, read much?

Pretty sure I'm the one who's been saying this team is going to lose a lot of games and to flip out after every loss is a waste of energy.

Then why trot out the "the team is hovering around .500" line?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #48: May 22, 2011, 11:44:31 PM »
Then why trot out the "the team is hovering around .500" line?

Oh, I don't know, because it's true? They win a couple, lose a couple, win a couple, lose a couple.  It's been that way all year.

Considering the injuries, who they are missing, and how bad the offense has been, the fact that they have been hovering around 500 all year is miraculous.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #49: May 23, 2011, 12:23:59 AM »
Alright, that's enough.