Author Topic: ESPN Coverage (2012)  (Read 15593 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: ESPN Coverage (2012)
« Reply #25: March 13, 2012, 03:57:57 PM »
Having played some pickup hockey games in Cambridge and Boston where fistfights repeatedly broke out, I know this to be true.

The Northeast has a much more densely populated, smaller area with which to work in.  If you include New York and New England there are 21 Division I schools competing in seven states.  On top of that, people in the Northeast are much more angry (in general) than Midwesterners.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: March 13, 2012, 04:51:40 PM »
Of course, the Bridgeport Regional will not be the samethis year with out the traditional runners up :'(

Offline PC

« Reply #27: April 06, 2012, 01:33:02 AM »
Again I ask, how about comparing Strasburg to another power pitcher?  Does no one at ESPN see why Greg Maddux is a bad example of pitcher mechanics when he's being compared to someone who hits 99MPH?  Justin Verlander, for example, always appears to be about to fall over during his follow through?  What do the "experts" say about his mechanics?  And I guarantee that split screen of Maddox and Strasburg, SS was throwing at least 5 mph faster, probably closer to 10.  Greg Maddux needed less time to get the gun out of the holster (or whatever Schilling was babbling on about) to get the ball up there at 87 or 88 MPH as opposed to Strasburg's 95 or 96MPH.  I'm no pitching mechanics expert but I'd guess that a "longer" arm motion is required to hit the mid to upper 90's on the radar gun than the mid to upper 80's.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #28: April 06, 2012, 01:38:35 AM »
Again I ask, how about comparing Strasburg to another power pitcher?  Does no one at ESPN see why Greg Maddux is a bad example of pitcher mechanics when he's being compared to someone who hits 99MPH?  Justin Verlander, for example, always appears to be about to fall over during his follow through?  What do the "experts" say about his mechanics?  And I guarantee that split screen of Maddox and Strasburg, SS was throwing at least 5 mph faster, probably closer to 10.  Greg Maddux needed less time to get the gun out of the holster (or whatever Schilling was babbling on about) to get the ball up there at 87 or 88 MPH as opposed to Strasburg's 95 or 96MPH.  I'm no pitching mechanics expert but I'd guess that a "longer" arm motion is required to hit the mid to upper 90's on the radar gun than the mid to upper 80's.

some classic, quality ESPN programming: talking head giving his medical opinion and why a current star should completely change everything he does. oh, maddux was perfect? LETS ACT LIKE STRASBURG IS GOING TO DIE IF HE'S NOT IDENTICAL TO MADDUX. go freak yourself, schilling, you're not a god damn doctor

all we need is trent dilfer telling us how to play QB

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: April 06, 2012, 08:19:33 AM »
But think how healthy he'd be if he took 15 mph off his fast ball (granted he be in aa)

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #30: April 06, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »
some classic, quality ESPN programming: talking head giving his medical opinion and why a current star should completely change everything he does. oh, maddux was perfect? LETS ACT LIKE STRASBURG IS GOING TO DIE IF HE'S NOT IDENTICAL TO MADDUX. go freak yourself, schilling, you're not a god damn doctor

He's a pompous ass.  MLB Network should run commercials advertising that he is on ESPN. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #31: April 06, 2012, 11:30:11 AM »
On top of that, people in the Northeast are much more angry (in general) than Midwesterners.

I resent that damnit !!

• babble on
« Reply #32: April 06, 2012, 11:34:07 AM »
 :rofl:
He's a pompous ass.  MLB Network should run commercials advertising that he is on ESPN. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #33: April 06, 2012, 11:41:15 AM »

He got superfat

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #34: April 06, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »
He got superfat

Yeah the two-most annoying parts of that segment were his overly technical breakdown of something he's not trained in; and his fat man breathing.  It's kind of ironic he's saying Strasburg is doing something detrimental to his health while they almost needed to bring an oxygen tank out after he walked six steps to the demo mound.

• babble on
« Reply #35: April 06, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
Well, he isn't much of an expert in hemostasis.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #36: April 06, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »
I refuse to get worked up over every talking head's analysis of Stras's mechanics anymore. It's the trendy thing to do because some idiot brought in the invered W crap and the rest of the haters are just like lemmings.

You will hear this chatter for the next two months and every time Stras gets a hangnail or something. Meanwhile, he just needs to go out and pitch like he did yesterday every five days and shut 'em all up.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #37: April 06, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »
I refuse to get worked up over every talking head's analysis of Stras's mechanics anymore. It's the trendy thing to do because some idiot brought in the invered W crap and the rest of the haters are just like lemmings.

You will hear this chatter for the next two months and every time Stras gets a hangnail or something. Meanwhile, he just needs to go out and pitch like he did yesterday every five days and shut 'em all up.

:worship:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #38: April 06, 2012, 05:06:11 PM »

Totally agree. It's actually really funny to watch these talking heads regurgitate the same points someone else made while passing them off as their own.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #39: April 06, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »
I think they should compare Strasburg to Luis Tiant instead.

Offline blue911

« Reply #40: April 06, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »
Totally agree. It's actually really funny to watch these talking heads regurgitate the same points someone else made while passing them off as their own.

Tim Kremchek had an excellent point, nobody wants to talk about the risk that changing your delivery poses.

Offline blue911

« Reply #41: April 06, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »

I think they should use Eddie Feigner.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #42: April 06, 2012, 05:47:19 PM »

Other than the fact that they're both Cuban  ....

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #43: April 06, 2012, 05:54:11 PM »

It seems to me like you're the EXXXXX-PERT, Curt!

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #44: April 06, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
It seems to me like you're the EXXXXX-PERT, Curt!

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh Hi Mark

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #45: April 07, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
There are a good base of Bruins fans but they have their bandwagoners like any other city in the U.S.

College hockey in New England is unparalleled compared to anywhere in the country.

Minnesota is also hockey-fanatic. I remember (thus, maybe faulty) that the Minnesota school hockey championship draws more interest than HS basketball. I have a customer at a bank in Minnesota who was about to drive to Winnipeg to see the Caps play Winnipeg just so he could see Ovie live.

Offline welch

« Reply #46: April 07, 2012, 09:10:55 AM »

(1) Let's see Schilling analyze Walter Johnson's mechanics. Nobody throws sidearm effectively, right?

(2) Here is Satchel Paige.

Now that's a windup!

(3) Look at Bob Feller throwing, in street shoes on a street, in a race with a motorcycle cop doing 87 mph. Note that Feller's wind-up give the cop a head start of about a third of the distance, but his throw still beats the motorcycle

Google Bob Feller Youtube "Before the radar gun"

The W-vs-inverted-W is bunk.

I'm waiting for an ESPN expert to demonstrate why Babe Ruth's swing couldn't possibly have worked.

(For fun, You-tube is loaded with samples of famous, long-retired, pitchers.)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #47: April 07, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »
Welch you come up with some amazing crap.   Thanks, appreciate it.    I saw Paige pitch.   It had to be around '56 or '57.    I think he was traveling around with a bunch of guys playing "local" teams.

Offline welch

« Reply #48: April 07, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »
And while I have the google working, here is Bob Feller demonstrating different grips. It looks like Feller's right hand starts well below his belt, pretty much like Strassburg. He generates his power by extending his arm as far as possible in the wind-up, and by getting some acceleration from every joint, shoulder to fingers.

How long did Feller pitch?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #49: April 07, 2012, 09:41:16 AM »
Re: ESPN, which I ignored for a while. It looks like they froze it a pinch before foot plant, although there's no way to tell from that angle. I hate it when they say "Look at him at foot plant" and it's a view that doesn't have the foot.