Author Topic: Collapse  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Collapse
« Reply #25: October 13, 2012, 12:52:11 AM »
Sadly, we were pretty healthy this year and we fail to cash in.  This year may end up being our best shot.  Yeah, Zim needs to have his shoulder fixed and yeah Werth broke his wrist - but we essentially had everyone else for the enitre year and we didn't get it done.  If we have injuries next year we might not make the playoffs.

This was a golden opportunity and we blew it.

I hope they can learn from this post-season experience and they get a chance to apply that experience.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #26: October 13, 2012, 12:52:15 AM »
This is why having a second wildcard is STUPID.

5th best team in the league (and 10th best in baseball) now has a shot at the World Series. Only Bud Selig could pull this off.

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #27: October 13, 2012, 12:52:54 AM »
I'm so down right that I can't even summon the energy to nag anymore...

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #28: October 13, 2012, 12:53:16 AM »
Sadly, we were pretty healthy this year and we fail to cash in.  This year may end up being our best shot.  Yeah, Zim needs to have his shoulder fixed and yeah Werth broke his wrist - but we essentially had everyone else for the enitre year and we didn't get it done.  If we have injuries next year we might not make the playoffs.

I hope they can learn from this post-season experience and they get a chance to apply that experience.

You're avatar makes me think of happier days.

It makes me sad.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #29: October 13, 2012, 12:53:19 AM »

Nats weren't close to being healthy all year -

Still, the way the Nats played despite the injuries was amazing

I'm heartbroken

I need a hug

Offline PC

« Reply #30: October 13, 2012, 12:53:26 AM »
No it's not.

How is it not?  I didn't say it was "off" just dimmer.  Your #2 pitcher shouldn't walk 11 batters in two of the biggest games of the season.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #31: October 13, 2012, 12:53:32 AM »
I'm just gonna put this here before it gets too overwhelmed by sad. It doesn't matter what your regular season record is, anything can happen in the playoffs. A few lucky hits, a ball off a glove, taking a pitch that they should have swung at. It just didn't go our way. I blame no one.

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #32: October 13, 2012, 12:53:57 AM »

5th best team in the league (and 10th best in baseball) now has a shot at the World Series. Only Bud Selig could pull this off.

NBA continually has sub .500 teams make the "postseason".  They are joke.

Mlb's format is still the most competitive.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #33: October 13, 2012, 12:54:24 AM »
I'm just sorry for being a douche-bag optimist. This is my comeuppance.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: October 13, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »
How is it not?  I didn't say it was "off" just dimmer.  Your #2 pitcher shouldn't walk 11 batters in two of the biggest games of the season.

It just doesn't change the way I think about him.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #35: October 13, 2012, 12:54:32 AM »

Oh boohoo.  The NBA/NHL let 16/30 teams make the freaking playoffs.

If the Cards are so unspectacular, the Nats should have been able to beat them that much more easily.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #36: October 13, 2012, 12:55:13 AM »
NBA continually has sub .500 teams make the "postseason".  They are joke.

Mlb's format is still the most competitive.

It's not the most competitive anymore

Cardinals played in the worst division in baseball, played like ass for most of the year and had no business being in the playoffs

Cardinals didn't win that series, Nats lost it

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #37: October 13, 2012, 12:55:18 AM »
I'm just sorry for being a douche-bag optimist. This is my comeuppance.

Lesson learned: never insult other fans for they way they choose to follow their team. (unless they call "game" in the first inning of a 1-0 game)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #38: October 13, 2012, 12:55:20 AM »

If they're the 5th best team in the league already, then why does the world series even matter at all?

Offline miller10

« Reply #39: October 13, 2012, 12:56:55 AM »
I am a caps fan.  I am used to this. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #40: October 13, 2012, 12:57:13 AM »
If they're the 5th best team in the league already, then why does the world series even matter at all?

I think it was Carlos Boozer who said, after Derrick Rose tore his ACL and the Bulls lost early in the playoffs... "who cares, we were the best team during the regular season... that's all that matters."

:lol:

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #41: October 13, 2012, 12:57:29 AM »
It's not the most competitive anymore

Cardinals played in the worst division in baseball, played like ass for most of the year and had no business being in the playoffs

Cardinals didn't win that series, Nats lost it

The Cardinals had one of the best run differentials in MLB, have a seriously potent line-up (as we saw tonight), are the defending champions, and have some seriously talented pitchers in their rotation.

It's not some huge travesty that they might win the WS.

Don't blame MLB for this, blame the Nats.  You have to win games like that.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #42: October 13, 2012, 12:58:09 AM »
The Cardinals had one of the best run differentials in MLB, have a seriously potent line-up (as we saw tonight), are the defending champions, and have some seriously talented pitchers in their rotation.

:sanity:

I'm all for being bitter... but they pay the Cardinals to play too.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #43: October 13, 2012, 01:02:12 AM »

The Cardinals played like ass in the worst division in baseball. They only make the playoffs because the Dodgers actually managed to suck more than they did.  They had no business being in the post-season

Not making excuses for the Nats. The Nats GAVE this series away

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: October 13, 2012, 01:03:14 AM »
Hell blame storen

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #45: October 13, 2012, 01:14:56 AM »
Oh boohoo.  The NBA/NHL let 16/30 teams make the freaking playoffs.

If the Cards are so unspectacular, the Nats should have been able to beat them that much more easily.

Well, five game series are total crap as well. Flip a coin.

But the Nats played like crap this series, it doesn't matter.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #46: October 13, 2012, 02:24:52 AM »
This game will break your heart. But that's only if you truly love it.

We will recover. Give it time.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #47: October 13, 2012, 02:53:21 AM »
I'd nag, but what is there to nag about? Seriously?

I mean we can't pin it on one guy. Storen blew chunks, yes... But the whole team lost. There is no excuse to score one run after the third inning. Pretty much every reliever contributed to it. Watching the game, it looked like the ump blew a ton of strike calls in the ninth. I'd love to say kill soandso. But the entire team lost this game. That pathetic showing in the bottom of the ninth highlights it.

It's Davey, McCatty, Ecksteins fault. It's the relievers fault. It's the hitters fault. So I either blame and hate the team, who won 98 games and almost won this one, or I blame no one and deal with a suicidal depressive night and wait until April.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #48: October 13, 2012, 02:55:36 AM »
The loss is on the pitching staff and Davey.  You can't score seven runs and lose, especially in the postseason.

Ironic that the pitching staff, the same staff (minus STRASBURG) that carried us when the offense was sputtering, was the staff that betrayed us in the final game and imploded. 

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #49: October 13, 2012, 02:55:57 AM »
Sure, this season is better than a 100-loss season, but it's pretty easy to say they'll be in better position next season, or they'll have more experience which will help them, etc.

That's what I thought about the Caps a few years ago when they lost the final game of the series to the Flyers in the playoffs. Since then they've had one of the most talented teams in the league continually and choked at every turn. Haven't even made it to the ECF. 

I've only been following sports a few years in my short life, but it's ridiculous how jaded D.C. sports have made me. It seems like to me the ratio of heartbreak and choking to great moments is unusually high.

I'd love to be wrong for being so pessimistic, but until the Nats (or any D.C. team, really) prove it, I find it hard to take comfort in much of anything.

</rant>