Author Topic: McGeary to play full season 2009  (Read 3700 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
McGeary to play full season 2009
« Topic Start: January 23, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »
According to Bowden in his interview by Will Carroll of BP, Jack McGeary's agent has informed the Nats that McGeary has decided to play full time this season, as opposed to the truncated short seasons he was playing while attending Stanford.  Bowden emphasized this was "breaking news".

:woop: :clap:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: McGeary to play full season 2009
« Reply #1: January 23, 2009, 04:59:03 PM »
So is he jumping to Hagerstown?  That's big.  I hope he can handle that better than Smoker.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: January 23, 2009, 05:01:14 PM »
So is he jumping to Hagerstown?  That's big.  I hope he can handle that better than Smoker.

I'm not sure where he'll start.  By Full season, I mean he's devoted to baseball 100% from the start of ST, not sure where he'll be assigned.  Previously, he was in classes early and late in the season.  I'm listening again right now to see if I can glean more.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #3: January 23, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »
That is great news.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #4: January 23, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
Excellent. I'm a big McGeary fan. He's a special kid.

Hope he does well.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #5: January 23, 2009, 05:35:28 PM »
I'm a huge fan, since he's from right around here and he went to one of my best friend's school (Roxbury Latin). I nearly went there.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #6: January 23, 2009, 05:37:18 PM »
He's a big kid isn't he? I remember he got roughed up in limited action in Vermont.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #7: January 23, 2009, 05:39:31 PM »
He's a big kid isn't he? I remember he got roughed up in limited action in Vermont.
6'3" 195 lbs

He started 1 game in VT this past season: 4 IP 6 H 2 R 2 ER 3 BB 5 K.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #8: January 23, 2009, 05:41:27 PM »
I remember when he was in the booth with Sutton and Carpenter. I thought he got roughed up in Vermont in '07 after he got drafted. I must be thinking of someone else. That's what I get for not spending enough time on the farm breathing in the fresh air.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #9: January 23, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
I remember when he was in the booth with Sutton and Carpenter. I thought he got roughed up in Vermont in '07 after he got drafted. I must be thinking of someone else. That's what I get for not spending enough time on the farm breathing in the fresh air.
Yeah, he pitched a little in VT his first year too. 2.2 IP 3 H 5 R 4 ER 5 BB 4 K.

Smoker got his brains beat in last year in Hagerstown (11.50 ERA in 18 IP) but settled down nicely in the GCL (1.37 ERA in 26.1 IP).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: January 23, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »

I think McGeary (as I recall from Bowden's comments) led all starters with 59 innings and was very effective.  Everything they wanted from him.

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #11: January 24, 2009, 12:31:24 AM »
I think McGeary is a future ace of this staff.  I like his potential more than JZ's. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #12: January 24, 2009, 03:29:42 AM »
McGeary > Smoker = they will still be studs for nats for years to come

MrMadison

« Reply #13: January 24, 2009, 10:50:57 AM »
Keep in mind everyone, that if anyone had thought they could sign McGeary away from Stanford, he most likely would have been a First-Round Pick.

but we got him in the 6th round. and the only reason he dropped so far was signability concerns.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: January 24, 2009, 10:52:54 AM »
Keep in mind everyone, that if anyone had thought they could sign McGeary away from Stanford, he most likely would have been a First-Round Pick.

but we got him in the 6th round. and the only reason he dropped so far was signability concerns.

Except for Crow, there has been no "cheapness" in the Lerners drafting and signing of young talent.

MrMadison

« Reply #15: January 24, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »
Except for Crow, there has been no "cheapness" in the Lerners drafting and signing of young talent.

shhhhh, don't let DCFan find out.

« Reply #16: January 24, 2009, 12:43:36 PM »
I totally know how McGeary feels. You can only take so much booze, premarital sex with fresh college virgins, toga parties, pantie raids, sleeping in, and social drug use before the urge to play in the Major Leagues gets you.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #17: January 24, 2009, 01:04:21 PM »
And really, despite what the pundits want us to think, that was no case of cheapness.  That was a case of not being doormats for young punks. (Not to mention that COULD have been more JimBo's fault [hell, he drafted the assnozzle in the first place] - we'll never know.)

« Reply #18: January 24, 2009, 01:15:22 PM »
And really, despite what the pundits want us to think, that was no case of cheapness.  That was a case of not being doormats for young punks. (Not to mention that COULD have been more JimBo's fault [hell, he drafted the assnozzle in the first place] - we'll never know.)

:clap: :worship:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #19: January 24, 2009, 01:16:23 PM »
I like the word "assnozzle". I think I'll use it more often.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #20: January 24, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »
According to Bowden in his interview by Will Carroll of BP, Jack McGeary's agent has informed the Nats that McGeary has decided to play full time this season, as opposed to the truncated short seasons he was playing while attending Stanford.  Bowden emphasized this was "breaking news".

:woop: :clap:

I kind of liked his commitment to education and found it refreshing. Too bad he won't see it through . . .

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #21: January 24, 2009, 07:21:51 PM »
This is good news, it becomes that much more likely he'll become a really good one for the Nats.

I agree with this, it's good that they've been aggressive with the draft, and it's even better when they show that they aren't always willing o spend tons of money. The only disadvantage is that the tenth pick will have a lot more leverage than Crow, because if he goes unsigned the pick is lost. Still, I doubt he asks for 9 million dollars like Crow.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #22: January 25, 2009, 10:26:20 AM »
I kind of liked his commitment to education and found it refreshing. Too bad he won't see it through . . .

Maybe he can do it from like October through February? That's basically one semester, starting and ending a month later.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: January 25, 2009, 10:43:37 AM »
Maybe he can do it from like October through February? That's basically one semester, starting and ending a month later.

Stanford doesn't have semesters, they are on the quarter system. The winter quarter ends around March 20, too late for spring training.  Autumn quarter (starts late September) might be the only one he could make fully.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #24: January 25, 2009, 12:48:10 PM »
This is good news, it becomes that much more likely he'll become a really good one for the Nats.

I agree with this, it's good that they've been aggressive with the draft, and it's even better when they show that they aren't always willing o spend tons of money. The only disadvantage is that the tenth pick will have a lot more leverage than Crow, because if he goes unsigned the pick is lost. Still, I doubt he asks for 9 million dollars like Crow.
Yeah, that's the only problem.  Still, I think they have a *little* leverage in that they can always go, "hey, we have the #1 overall pick - if we don't sign you, we still have a pretty kick-ass draft."