Author Topic: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)  (Read 96553 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)
« Reply #1650: December 23, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with Dallas losing, the NFC East belongs to the Skins if the Giants lose, right?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1651: December 23, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with Dallas losing, the NFC East belongs to the Skins if the Giants lose, right?

I think you're correct.   Yet, I don't know what happens if the boys beat the 'skins and the Giants lose.

Offline PC

« Reply #1652: December 23, 2012, 05:07:19 PM »

No.  If we lose to the Cowboys next week, they win the division.  Better record among common opponents.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #1653: December 23, 2012, 05:39:36 PM »
PC is correct. They changed the tie breaker procedure. It used to be head-to-head followed by division records then conference records and then record versus common opponents. That scenario would have clinched the division for Washington today. But they flipped the procedure to head-to-head, division records, record versus common opponent and then conference record. Washington will have the better conference record but Dallas has the edge in record versus common opponents.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1654: December 23, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »
No.  If we lose to the Cowboys next week, they win the division.  Better record among common opponents.
Yes the Cowboys would win the division if they beat the Redskins next week.

The Redskins could still get a Wild Card berth anyway. They're rooting for the NY Giants and the Chicago Bears to lose in the games being played right now.  They would need the Bears and Vikings to lose next week, assuming the Bears win tonight.

Tecoya, Redskins Cheerleaders 2013 Pro Bowl Representative

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1655: December 23, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »
^ I think they would also need NY to lose again next week or NY would edge them out by virtue of better conference record. 

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1656: December 23, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
^ I think they would also need NY to lose again next week or NY would edge them out by virtue of better conference record.
No, it appears that we would beat the Giants because of the first Wild Card tiebreaker.  We would still have the better division record. (Giants fans will be hopping mad based on the rules for 3 or more teams tied.  Despite the Giants having the better conference record, it appears that we would eliminate them!!) Somebody can check all of this, to confirm it.
 :lmao:
The Vikings and Bears would still need to lose.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
 2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
  1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  4. Strength of victory.
  5. Strength of schedule.
  6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  7.  Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best net points in conference games.
  9. Best net points in all games.
  10.  Best net touchdowns in all games.
  11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
 2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
 3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
 4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
 5. Strength of victory.
 6. Strength of schedule.
 7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
 8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
 9. Best net points in conference games.
 10. Best net points in all games.
 11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
 12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1657: December 23, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »
OK. I didn't know about tie breaker 1 to settle a tie between 3 teams that involves two teams from the same division.  :lmao:

That also means the Giants need Washington to win for them to have any shot to advance. Right?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1658: December 23, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »
OK. I didn't know about tie breaker 1 to settle a tie between 3 teams that involves two teams from the same division.  :lmao:

That also means the Giants need Washington to win for them to have any shot to advance. Right?
It looks that way.  The Giants would get a Wild Card if the Redskins win AND if only one second place team has 10 wins.  If Washington loses, we would get the first 9-7 wild card spot, if only one 2nd place team has 10 wins. 

So it MAY help if 9-5 Seattle loses to SF tonight, and then loses when they host St. Louis next week. 9-6 Chicago is at Detroit. Green Bay (with possibly nothing to play for) is at 9-6 Minnesota.  EDIT: NY Giants hosts Philadelphia and San Francisco hosts Arizona.

If the Seattle loses tonight and the Redskins and everyone else loses next week, then Washington would eliminate the Giants and Minnesota would eliminate Chicago.  The Vikings lost to  both Seattle and Washington, so they'd be eliminated next.

"Playoffs??? Playoffs???"

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1659: December 23, 2012, 08:00:59 PM »
Way too much math

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1660: December 23, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
Unfortunately the only way I see that would motivate GB to play their best against Minnesota next week is for the Seahawks to win tonight and leave an opening for GB to get a bye.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1661: December 23, 2012, 08:04:28 PM »
Way too much math

True.

The hell with it. It's a rarity to be in this position so I'll just enjoy it while it lasts. Terpfan76, pass the koolaid.  :koolaid:

Offline PC

« Reply #1662: December 23, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »
Fox, NBC jockey for Redskins-Cowboys showdown

The Washington Redskins’ regular-season finale against the Dallas Cowboys is still a week away, but there’s a fairly spirited undercard featuring Fox and NBC going on right now.

Both networks are jockeying with the NFL over just which one will carry the game, according to the Dallas Morning News’s Barry Horn. Fox, which airs NFC games, is still steamed that it lost the 2011 Week 17 game between the Cowboys and New York Giants to NBC’s “Sunday Night Football,” Horn writes. As much as NBC would love to have Robert Griffin III in prime time for the first time, the NFL does try to keep all its broadcast partners happy.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said last week that he doubted the game, presently set for 1 p.m. EST, would be flexed to prime-time, but the NFL will make the call and its decision will be based on playoff implications. If the winner gets in and the loser heads for the golf course, that makes it sexier. If one team wins the division and the other is a wild card, it loses some of its appeal.

The Baltimore Ravens-Cincinnati Bengals game is a rather lukewarm possibility, according to Horn. If the Vikings’ Adrian Peterson has a chance to break Eric Dickerson’s single-season rushing record, set in 1984, that could increase the attractiveness of the Minnesota-Green Bay matchup if there’s no game with provocative implications.

We’ll find out Monday at the latest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2012/12/23/fox-nbc-jockey-for-redskins-cowboys-showdown/?hpid=z2

REJECT!!!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1663: December 23, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »
Redskins/Cowboys game flexed to 8:30 next Sunday. By then the Redskins will know whether they have already clinched a wild card spot by virtue of losses by Chicago and Minnesota.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1664: December 23, 2012, 11:07:50 PM »
If the Redskins beat the Cowboys, there's a good chance we'll have to host these Seattle Seahawks at FedEx Field in the playoff game.  They have the best defense in the NFL.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1665: December 24, 2012, 12:32:55 AM »
True.

The hell with it. It's a rarity to be in this position so I'll just enjoy it while it lasts. Terpfan76, pass the koolaid.  :koolaid:

What flavor you want brother?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1666: December 24, 2012, 11:44:35 AM »

What flavor you want brother?

Cherry. I want to enjoy it but as Washington sports fans we all know where this is heading. Thank God the Bullets are consistent and don't tease us like the rest. The Caps are the biggest cockteasers in this town. We know what happens when they get to the playoffs. The Nats finally had a winning season and then Drew Storen. Now it's time for the Redskins to do their thing. Dallas could come in and have their way with this defense in front of a national audience. We're due to show our true colors. Or the game could be close with Dallas up by 1 or 2 points as the clock winds down. Griffin rallies the team into field goal range with 3 seconds remaining and Forbath will finally miss a kick to break our hearts.  :hang:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #1667: December 24, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »
The Redskins are missing several parts of the defense...both from injury and from not having gotten the right players yet. The OL keeps getting better; the receivers are all pretty good; Morris runs (his 10 TD's equals the record for a Redskin rookie set by Charley Taylor). Defense is shaky, but so what?

This team will only get better. Beat Dallas and playoffs this year; draft and sign a safety and CB. HTTR.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1668: December 25, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »

Cherry. I want to enjoy it but as Washington sports fans we all know where this is heading. Thank God the Bullets are consistent and don't tease us like the rest. The Caps are the biggest cockteasers in this town. We know what happens when they get to the playoffs. The Nats finally had a winning season and then Drew Storen. Now it's time for the Redskins to do their thing. Dallas could come in and have their way with this defense in front of a national audience. We're due to show our true colors. Or the game could be close with Dallas up by 1 or 2 points as the clock winds down. Griffin rallies the team into field goal range with 3 seconds remaining and Forbath will finally miss a kick to break our hearts.  :hang:

You better hope that doesn't happen, else I'm a gonna hunt you down and well, do mean hateful things to you :lol:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline PC

« Reply #1670: December 26, 2012, 01:48:45 AM »
NFL - REDSKINS WILL WIN

From Elias: Dating back to 1983, this will be the 6th time that the Redskins and Cowboys will meet in the regular season where each team has at least 8 wins. In each of the previous 5 meetings, the Redskins have come away victorious, including three double-digit wins. The last time the Cowboys won a game against the Redskins where they each had 8 wins was 1979, which was also the only time these teams met in a season finale in a winner-take-all for the division crown.

about 10 hours ago | ESPN Stats and Information

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #1671: December 26, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »
There's a storm coming

!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1672: December 26, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
:lmao:  Typical for a "cowboys" fan though. You dropped the cowboys for the lions when the cowboys looked like crap and now that the lions are crap and the cowboys are looking to contend you're back on the cowboys bandwagon. It seems though that every team you pull for turns to crap so it bodes well for the home team. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1673: December 26, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »
There's a storm coming

!

This is the redskins thread - delete and pppppppppppppppppppppppppppermaban

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1674: December 26, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »
HAIL TO THE FORESKINZ.