Author Topic: Current/Former Military  (Read 17034 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Current/Former Military
« Reply #75: November 11, 2011, 02:18:42 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/at-arlington-the-mementos-get-more-personal/2011/11/10/gIQA5cZLAN_gallery.html#photo=11

sad, but worth looking at

only family left in military is a cousin flying apaches in Afghanistan

Offline heeman82

« Reply #76: July 14, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
Decided I am going back into military (reserve).  Meeting prior service recruiter again Monday afternoon to go over everything. Get some

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #77: July 14, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »
There is a fantastic exhibit of artwork related to Marine aviation at the Air and Space right now. Some very talented artists, both enlisted and officers, produced true works of art. I came away really impressed.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #78: July 14, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
I'm a Marine Vet, and now they're one of my clients.  Funny how that works.  Did my four years active and then got out to pursue education.

So many of my old Marine buddies re-enlisted after getting back to civilian life; it sucks you back in.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #79: July 14, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »
There is a fantastic exhibit of artwork related to Marine aviation at the Air and Space right now. Some very talented artists, both enlisted and officers, produced true works of art. I came away really impressed.

downtown or udvar-hazy?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #80: July 15, 2012, 08:26:33 AM »
downtown or udvar-hazy?

Air and Space proper on the Mall

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #81: July 15, 2012, 10:50:34 AM »
Decided I am going back into military (reserve).  Meeting prior service recruiter again Monday afternoon to go over everything. Get some

Best of luck to you.  If you have to deploy, let us know.  Maybe send some Nats Care pkgs your way or maybe just cookies! ;)

For all those who serve a huge THANK YOU!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #82: July 15, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »

"Fair seas and following winds."  ..  and keep a low profile.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #83: July 15, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
Keep safe.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #84: July 16, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »
USAF 1999-2006.  As far as giving criminals the option...I have a buddy that was a juvenile delinquent in Atlanta and the judge gave him the option of joining the AF.  Spent 8 years in and now has a very good contractor job in Florida with a TS clearance.  Just goes to show that sometimes 2nd chances do work.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #85: July 16, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »
Texas does something similar, or at least they used to. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #86: July 16, 2012, 10:51:23 AM »
USAF 1999-2006.  As far as giving criminals the option...I have a buddy that was a juvenile delinquent in Atlanta and the judge gave him the option of joining the AF.  Spent 8 years in and now has a very good contractor job in Florida with a TS clearance.  Just goes to show that sometimes 2nd chances do work.

That's borderline illegal. The judge can't say join up or go to jail

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #87: July 16, 2012, 11:12:56 AM »

My brother got the same option, join or leave town. Without a highschool diploma at the time, your test score had to be higher than for someone with one, so he ended up leaving town instead.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #88: July 16, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
But what is the alternative ?  Just being sent to jail ?  Seems like a better choice to choose between jail & military than just have 1 choice of jail

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #89: July 16, 2012, 11:31:04 AM »

In the draft days, this "suggestion" was common practice.

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #90: July 16, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »
I'm on an Army ROTC scholarship at the University of Kentucky. I'll start my Junior (MSIII) year in about a month. Exciting times.

God bless to anyone who has served or is currently serving out there.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #91: July 16, 2012, 11:37:11 AM »

That's not what they do.  There's nothing illegal about dismissing charges if certain conditions are met.  No different than giving drug addicts rehab instead of the slammer.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #92: July 16, 2012, 11:58:37 AM »
[MDS]In Dick Cheney's AmeriKKKa, nothing is illegal. We all have a sad existence of bowing to our masters.[/MDS]

Offline blue911

« Reply #93: July 16, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »

Most of my buddies entered via judicial endorsement

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #94: July 16, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
That's not what they do.  There's nothing illegal about dismissing charges if certain conditions are met.  No different than giving drug addicts rehab instead of the slammer.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #95: July 16, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »

Which is why it's illegal now. It's one of the only ways you can really get out of boot camp once you're there. You say, "Judge So-N-So told me to enlist or go to jail" and the DIs have to run it up the chain.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #96: July 16, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »
Which is why it's illegal now. It's one of the only ways you can really get out of boot camp once you're there. You say, "Judge So-N-So told me to enlist or go to jail" and the DIs have to run it up the chain.

So you get dismissed from the Military and go to jail :shrug:

The conditions are generally set that unless you complete your military service in good standing, you go to jail. It's a win-win really. That said, a lot of gang bangers are sending members into the service to learn combat strategy and what not. It's becoming far more common than anyone would have suspected. There's Blood, Crip, MS13, Latin King etc... gang signs showing up in Afganistan, Iraq and other countries where our servicemen are located. The military apparently has had to add that as one of there background checks. You probably know more about that than us Slate.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #97: July 16, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »

The conditions are generally set that unless you complete your military service in good standing, you go to jail. It's a win-win really. That said, a lot of gang bangers are sending members into the service to learn combat strategy and what not. It's becoming far more common than anyone would have suspected. There's Blood, Crip, MS13, Latin King etc... gang signs showing up in Afganistan, Iraq and other countries where our servicemen are located. The military apparently has had to add that as one of there background checks. You probably know more about that than us Slate.

I've always wondered myself what happens. I imagine the Judge gets in some sort of trouble. But, yes, you probably would be dismissed from the military. It's called fraudulent enlistement. It is looked on unkindly.

Though there is the grey area where the judge might be more lenient if, say, the guilty were considering enlisting. Knowing that being convicted of say, car theft, would probably prohibt that, the judge and prosecutor might be willing to get together and change it to joyriding or something. Like I said, grey areas

Tattoos are now photographed and documented. They run them by law enforcement to check for gang affiliation. Other than that, there isn't much else a recruiter can do.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #98: July 16, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

Marine here, did 6 years and a pump to that Sandy Place where people give you dirty looks.

With regards to "gang problems" in the service, while it is prevalent, alot of the the "gang tagging" and everything else you see are just from wannabe punks that try and regale everyone with tales of how hard they had it back in the hood before joining. Everyone I've met in the Marine's turned down a D1 scholarship to join, or used to be the hardest gang banger on the block, or was about to sign a record deal when their band broke up so they joined. Some of the stories you hear are hilarious.

I'm more concerned about the sheer volume of large and intricate phallic objects drawn in porta potties by bored service members all across third world countries than I am about a little gang grafitti.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #99: July 16, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »
Marine here, did 6 years and a pump to that Sandy Place where people give you dirty looks.

With regards to "gang problems" in the service, while it is prevalent, alot of the the "gang tagging" and everything else you see are just from wannabe punks that try and regale everyone with tales of how hard they had it back in the hood before joining. Everyone I've met in the Marine's turned down a D1 scholarship to join, or used to be the hardest gang banger on the block, or was about to sign a record deal when their band broke up so they joined. Some of the stories you hear are hilarious.

I'm more concerned about the sheer volume of large and intricate phallic objects drawn in porta potties by bored service members all across third world countries than I am about a little gang grafitti.

Well ... Wagner loves the cock