Author Topic: Can some one teach Harper how to steal a base?  (Read 787 times)

Offline Slumpbuster

Can some one teach Harper how to steal a base?
« Topic Start: April 22, 2015, 11:05:16 PM »
He hasn't had a chance to make too many base running blunders this year......not re-touching 2nd base on his retreat to 1st the other night comes to mind.  But how bout' that comical attempt of a steal tonight? He almost gets picked off, then he takes a huge lead, past the cut of the grass, takes off with the pitcher staring right ay him and gets nailed by a mile.
Is he lacking common sense or just too willing to take a risk. Either way, it will cost us sooner or later.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
It's been four years. He isn't going to figure it out. Just live with it and hope that Williams recognizes it, and bans Harper from stealing.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Cost us sooner or later? How about last night? We really could have used that out.

Harper is unteachable, he's not going to listen to coaching, he'll figure out baserunning eventually but it'll take him a while.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Trick with managing guys like Harper and Desmond is to understand their mentality and put them in a position where their pluses help you and their minuses are mitigated.  Proper spots in the batting order, holds on the basepaths when they are likely to be too aggressive, talking to them regularly, etc... People skills.  Francona developed this and could get the max out of guys with 10 cent heads like Manny for many years.  I think Buck does it too.  Delmon Young has been slotted in very successfully, he's figured out how to cover for some bad defensive players, and he puts guys like Ryan Flaherty, Travis Snider, Steve Pearce, Brad Brach, Zach Britton, Jim Johnson, in places where they can succeed.

Offline BigMeech

Needs to up his stats in MLB The Show.

Offline Ray D

Not retouching second is something that in my long  life I may have seen twice from a major leaguer.   And both times, it was guys who were simply unaware or the rule.  Ironic, from a guy who claims to have such passion for and understanding of the game.

Offline Ray D

I'm out of town this week with little access to TV, etc.  I didn't see the game when Harper didn't retouch second, so someone please tell me what he said when he was asked about it.  I'm guessing he said "that's baseball".

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org
He hasn't had a chance to make too many base running blunders this year......not re-touching 2nd base on his retreat to 1st the other night comes to mind.  But how bout' that comical attempt of a steal tonight? He almost gets picked off, then he takes a huge lead, past the cut of the grass, takes off with the pitcher staring right ay him and gets nailed by a mile.
Is he lacking common sense or just too willing to take a risk. Either way, it will cost us sooner or later.

Dude, the kid is a moron.  He's dumb as a rock.  He thinks he's great and instead of making the smart, consistent play he'll always favor the big and the brash.  Bait the guy into trying to take second and hope you get him, etc.  Missing the cutoff man to show off his arm.  With his knees, I would forbid him from stealing at all.  A stolen base in April where he could do something to his knee or thumb is not worth it. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I missed it. Was he just going on first move?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Dude, the kid is a moron.  He's dumb as a rock.  He thinks he's great and instead of making the smart, consistent play he'll always favor the big and the brash.  Bait the guy into trying to take second and hope you get him, etc.  Missing the cutoff man to show off his arm.  With his knees, I would forbid him from stealing at all.  A stolen base in April where he could do something to his knee or thumb is not worth it. 

I'm tired of the same old mistakes like cutoff men but this is unfair. You think a dumb as rock kid can grow in plate discipline like he has? He has made huge leaps since last year in plate discipline, and that's a cerebral part of the game.

Offline Ray D

He has made huge leaps since last year in plate discipline, and that's a cerebral part of the game.

Well, he's not as dumb as Desmond then.  That's about as far as I'll go.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

:lol:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I thought Harper was going to break his ankle he slid so late on that steal attempt so at least he has that going for him.

Offline NJ Ave

You mean the Unfrozen Caveman Shortstop?

Quote from: Ian Desmond
Look, I don't know about these fancy terms that keep being bandied about like "pitch selection" or "situational hitting" but what I DO know is this: swing hard, ball go long way.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
You mean the Unfrozen Caveman Shortstop?

love it!  I may just be an unfrozen caveman lawyer, but . . .