Poll

How many errors will Desmond commit in 2015?

<=25
9 (13.6%)
26-35
26 (39.4%)
36-45
10 (15.2%)
46-55
4 (6.1%)
>55
17 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Poll: How many errors will Desmond commit in 2015  (Read 10581 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

UZR is blank. The Fangraphs defensive rating is on the top of the player page.

For Fangraphs, Defense is Fielding + position adjustment. The position adjustment is .4 and the fielding is blank (last row of the value section). Some how null set + .4 = .4 which is what gets displayed under the defense column

Offline aspenbubba

I believe he is playing for 2016 and the big contract he is hoping to obtain in FA . The pressure to excel and perform  is self induced. The more errors he commits the greater the pressure and subsequent failure.

Offline blue911

For Fangraphs, Defense is Fielding + position adjustment. The position adjustment is .4 and the fielding is blank (last row of the value section). Some how null set + .4 = .4 which is what gets displayed under the defense column

Which brings me back to the lunacy of positional adjustments. Being a terrible defensive player at a key position shouldn't yield a positive rating if the formula is correct.  Any positional adjustment should come on the offensive end where you can quantify those adjustments.

Offline sph274

what a terrible crappy excuse for a ballplayer!!! lets DFA em, amiritie guys? why am i not the GM of the nationals already?!?!

Offline Natsinpwc

what a terrible crappy excuse for a ballplayer!!! lets DFA em, amiritie guys? why am i not the GM of the nationals already?!?!
There are several of us ahead of you for that position!

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Which brings me back to the lunacy of positional adjustments.

The best example of this in all of baseball right now might be another Nats infielder. 

Offline Mr Clean

What should be done about him? It's pretty clear he is not a SS. 2nd base?  OF?

Offline Optics

I don't think there is anything that can be done. He's just gotta figure it out. I don't know if he has the yips or if there is something wrong with his hand since it seems every error is him bobbling the exchange.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Second base is his future, he's good enough with the glove, it's the throwing errors that set him apart from other short stops. Thing is that he's probably not a silver slugger at second so the move will hurt him in free agency.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Second base is his future, he's good enough with the glove, it's the throwing errors that set him apart from other short stops. Thing is that he's probably not a silver slugger at second so the move will hurt him in free agency.

The majority of his errors are fielding errors, not throwing errors. He can't move to second anymore than move to third. The only place he could be moved to would be the OF.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The majority of his errors are fielding errors, not throwing errors. He can't move to second anymore than move to third. The only place he could be moved to would be the OF.

Nope, 34 throwing and 32 fielding since 2012. The fielding errors  are fine based on the number of balls hit his way. 

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
Nope, 34 throwing and 32 fielding since 2012. The fielding errors  are fine based on the number of balls hit his way.

Fine based on what? Does he have a radically higher rate of groundballs hit his way compared to other shortstops? Because I would find that hard to believe based on how strikeout-happy the pitching staff is. Or am I somehow missing tons of shortstop fielding errors? He seems to be especially bad at it.

Not to mention his fielding errors always seem to be easy picks that college players should be yawning at.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

73 FE, 54 TE. He has 5 FE to his 3 TE this season.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I thought there was no sense commenting in this thread.    This is a fleeting problem.    Maybe not.    Played golf today and had a few beers afterwards.    Guy checked his phone and gave us the low down on today's game.    From then on, all we talked about was Desi's fielding.    Which was a good thing in a way.    Better than talking about how we were hitting golf balls.

Whats the record for most error by a SS in a season?  :mg:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Whats the record for most error by a SS in a season?  :mg:

The National League record is 102.

E-in is on pace for 108...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

The National League record is 102.

E-in is on pace for 108...

Who has the record?

Offline rileyn

Nobody has had more than 40 errors in a year since Jose Offerman 25 years ago.  Desmond will obliterate that mark.........by mid-May.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Who has the record?

Goes back to when you were in high school...  ;)

NL

Joe Sullivan Washington 102 1893

PL   

Billy Shindle Philadelphia 119 1890

Offline vernon337

Desmond is a quality shortstop with a rifle arm who has given this team solid defense for most of his time on the team.  The early-season problems are weird, and this year is just some kind of freakish occurrence.  He will get it straightened out once again and will be a major asset to this team as it battles its way toward the playoffs. 

Offline Ray D

Well, small sample size, but they tried him in the outfield for a few games his first or second year, and he was a disaster.

Offline Matugi

Furthermore, as I've mentioned before, many of his TE are due to his inability to consistently field the ball cleanly.  He's always rushing his throws.  The arm isn't the issue.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

So before 2012 he had 41 FE and 20 TE, with 32 FE and 34 TE since, quite a contrast that nicely illustrates my point, he can't play short anymore. (I'd also suggest that a number of his fielding errors have been caused by lack of confidence in his arm, Friday night in particular he got a FE for bobbling the ball getting it out of his glove, he was rushing the throw when there was no need to hurry.)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Furthermore, as I've mentioned before, many of his TE are due to his inability to consistently field the ball cleanly.  He's always rushing his throws.  The arm isn't the issue.

Just realized that my second sentence was virtually identical to your post, swapping throwing issues causing fielding issues for fielding issues causing throwing issues, I must have skimmed it on the way to responding to Slateman.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Desmond is a quality shortstop with a rifle arm who has given this team solid defense for most of his time on the team.  The early-season problems are weird, and this year is just some kind of freakish occurrence.  He will get it straightened out once again and will be a major asset to this team as it battles its way toward the playoffs. 

Look at how many games he's cost us already.